What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timbo

Staff member
That's almost as far away from the city as the current stadium. Probably better for transport links but it has none of the benefits that a city stadium would provide.

The only real advantage is that it’s on the rail line into the city. The CBD stadium is a much better option. But Barr is an idiot, so you have to take that into account.

Springs09

Juniors
It's a shame Brisbane didn't get to host one GF at this opportune time.

It would would have forever been known as the 'Brisbane Grand Final' - a special moment in the history books.

You've had a shocker NRL.

With any planning or foresight they could have done a number of things.

With 3 years out of ANZ:
Brisbane GF - first and only GF ever in Brisbane. Possible launching pad for a 2nd Brisbane team.
Perth GF - indicates expansion into Perth, an opportunity to gain followers in AFL territory and a possible launching pad for a Perth team.
Return to SCG GF - the last ever GF at the SCG and a time for the game to reflect on its heritage. Big nostalgia factor especially if 2 Sydney teams make it. They'll still get this but impact is lost a bit with 2 SCG GFs and 1 SFS GF.

Moving it will open the gates to permanently moving it

best decision to leave it in Sydney

Until the day Brisbane gets an 80k stadium it will never even be looked at permanently moving it.

King hit

Coach
It's a disgraceful decision. Suncorp should be hosting it for the next two years whilst ANZ stadium is being redone.
The QLD media is a disgrace. Always pumping up the poor old Queensland story because it sells the best in Queensland. Regardless of how little evidence they've got.

Peter Beattie ex premier was making the call
Well then the Qld Government should have put up more money. According to the report in today's Sydney Morning Herald the deal offered by the NSW Government was:
And this as well. QLD government wasn't offering enough

TheRam

Coach
If they don't build the Canberra Stadium at the city location they are kidding themselves. That is the place that the Stadium will get the most bang for its buck and every rectangular sports loving thinking person knows it.

But Barr knows this and that's why in my opinion if he can, he will push for it to be built at Exhibition Park instead. Why would a AFL loving wank like him want to deliver the NRL a perfectly located state of the art venue to maximise it crowds and growth?

I hope there is enough meaningful dissent by the public so as to put a stop to this nonsense otherwise we will get duded again by the AFL mob. f**k this gets so annoying having so many saboteurs and obstacles always present themselves at every turn for the NRL to deal with, internally and externally.

Build it where the people want it you farkers.

Vee

First Grade
The only real advantage is that it’s on the rail line into the city. The CBD stadium is a much better option. But Barr is an idiot, so you have to take that into account.
An AwFuL-loving idiot.

But seriously, I haven't posted in this thread much though I agree with the general sentiment. When I thought about it, if I'm Barr, I already have the Raiders and Brumbies, spending money to get a part of the midgets probably provides the best bang for my buck.

Or it may just be what I said above.

magpie_man

Juniors
The government almost certainly forced the NRLs hand here.
If the NRL sent it up to QLD for 2 years, the NSW Gov would have tried to backpedal on ANZ and the SFS.

Fact is, getting the 2 stadiums over the line for the next 30-40 years of premium experiences is worth a lot more than 2 individual GFs.

Is the redeveloped ANZ really going to be "premium" though?
From the plans I've seen so far it just looks like lipstick on a behemoth.

Reactions: Vee

Vee

First Grade
Is the redeveloped ANZ really going to be "premium" though?
From the plans I've seen so far it just looks like lipstick on a behemoth.
My sentiments exactly. Apart from WSS, this process has been an absolute debacle worthy of the NRL's reputation.

Timbo

Staff member
They’re basically building a new 50,000 seat stadium in the shell of the old ground.

For 49/50 games played there every spectator will have an improved experience. For the remaining 1/50 50,000 fans will have an improved experience, and the other 20,000 will still go because of the nature of the event.

It’s a fairly impressive amount of lipstick.

GAZF

First Grade
They’re basically building a new 50,000 seat stadium in the shell of the old ground.

For 49/50 games played there every spectator will have an improved experience. For the remaining 1/50 50,000 fans will have an improved experience, and the other 20,000 will still go because of the nature of the event.

Of all the howling that could be done about the Sydney stadiums mess, the physical improvements to ANZ should be the second last thing on the list after Bankwest. It will be a serious upgrade.

adamkungl

Immortal

The facilities at ANZ don't even really need an upgrade. They aren't state of the art but they're more than functional.
The lower bowl is easily the biggest issue.
The upper bowl - as much as it'd be great to somehow bring in closer, there's diminishing returns. Every 60k+ stadium in the world has nosebleeds sections.

beave

Coach
The facilities at ANZ don't even really need an upgrade. They aren't state of the art but they're more than functional.
The upper bowl - as much as it'd be great to somehow bring in closer, there's diminishing returns. Every 60k+ stadium in the world has nosebleeds sections.

I’ve sat in the nosebleeds at the Carolina Panthers stadium and the view there shits all over the equivalent at ANZ mate. It’s a 75k stadium as well so not a small joint.

This isn’t the nosebleeds I speak of but this is nearly 2/3 the way up on the top level of the stadium. Again, the equivalent view at ANZ is miles away from the action compared to this.

3-D33-EE17-2-CD0-4-BD8-805-B-5656-B5-D90763.jpg

* my god it’s hard to find a good free pic
hosting site these days

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Nice. Who are all the people on the sideline in an NFL game. Marching band, cheerleaders, offensive/defensive line, 20 coaches?

unforgiven

Bench
Nice. Who are all the people on the sideline in an NFL game. Marching band, cheerleaders, offensive/defensive line, 20 coaches?

Every NFL squad has 53 players with 46 of them being active for gameday, them there is the head coach and on average 15 assistant coaches on each team, also media and doctors etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well then the Qld Government should have put up more money. According to the report in today's Sydney Morning Herald the deal offered by the NSW Government was:

They’re hardly going to say anything different are they?
Perth paid $10mill for a SOO game. $10-15mill for two gf seems cheap. This was about a threat re anz. Finally getting the sht Sydney stadium situation improved is one of the few things the commission has achieved, they’re not going to put that at risk. They should at least have the ethics to admit it!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Iv'e been there on G/F day.Of course it's fine when it's packed, but thats' for 1 perhaps 2 days a year.Regardless, there are areas in that stadium because of he configuration regardless of packed or not packed are sh*thouse for watching the actuals game.When you spend half the time looking at the screen for the action,therein lies a problem.
Reducing the capacity and bringing many areas in and having a rectangular field is going to make the attendance far more intimate.
You cite a figure of $3m per year, how do you know what the figure will be? Reduced capacity in a rectangular stadium with cover ,is going to encourage more people to attend club games as well as SOO and G/F.The law of supply and demand comes into vogue.
In fact the NRL may not have to provide as many freebies for majors, the NRL may in fact be able to lift prices in some areas ,they may attract more families as a result.
And if club games have a bigger uplift in attendances ,the grants could possibly be reduced from teh current Beattie giveaways.

So who are the long term full-time WSS NRL tenants ? Eels naturally.
Bulldogs and Tigers have fans closer to the East and in the case of the WT at Campbelltown. Souths are committed to ANZ and worst case ,back to the new SFS.Can't see Penrith moving to WSS.

Also WTF give the AFL an even break.They get Govt money to expand Spotless Stadium and the SCG and you want to leave ANZ as is,.so they in fact in Sydney will have 3 AFL suitable all seater stadiums and the rectangular codes 2.Imagine a similar situation in Melbourne LOL in reverse.
Sometimes I think you unknowingly ,promote AFL over rugby league.

so have I, it was perfectly fine. 3 to 4 days a year is all the nrl should be using it for. It’s sht for club games and always will be, lipstick ona pig springs to mind. re WSS, bulldogs, eels and some tigers games.
allianz or whatever it will be called roosters, Souths and some St’s games.

Perth Red

Post Whore

theres a number of around 75k stadiums that have great views and not 3 mile away, if they had rebuilt anz they could have easily got up to round 76-78k capacity without one bad seat in the house, its a terrible terrible decision that nsw sports fans will have to endure for the next 30-40 years.

Latest posts