What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Solar Panels

Old Timer

Coach
Just received notice from AGL that my electricity discount has been cut from 32% to 7% plus an increase in c/kWh
So much for the “big stick” from ScuMo and crew as it represents a yearly increase of at least $700
Not happy Jan
So now looking at solar and trying to negotiate the minefield of door knockers and the countless offers from pop up screens etc.
Would greatly appreciate any input/advice from the forum members.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Just received notice from AGL that my electricity discount has been cut from 32% to 7% plus an increase in c/kWh
So much for the “big stick” from ScuMo and crew as it represents a yearly increase of at least $700
Not happy Jan
So now looking at solar and trying to negotiate the minefield of door knockers and the countless offers from pop up screens etc.

Being a builder, l suggest people consider two things when looking at solar panels.

1 - How long the operator has been been in business?

There are some operators that just do solar and there are qualified long term electrical contractors who also do solar.
The latter being my pick.

2 - Where the panels are made?
Some may be German designed but are made in Asian or India.

There have been many systems that spark and have caused fires ( cheap quality parts etc ) .... speak to a fireman.
The old adage, you pay for what you get, rings true.

Do a licence check in the operator.
Here in Queensland, it’s the QBCC.
You can see if the operator has any infringements or action taken against them.

As a licencee, l can be fined or have my licence withdrawn if l do wrong.

A contractor made be licences but you need to check they are licences to perform the said type of work, plus have sufficient insurances, etc.

It’s a bit involved but worth doing right, the first time round.

Good luck.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think solar panels are only now worth getting if you can get the battery system. I think you are looking at about 17 000 or so for a good battery system with 20 panels. I think the government rebate was an incentive to get the home owners to pay for the panels, that would benefit the power companies, who can buy the power for around 5 cent a kilowatt and sell it back to the consumer for 20 to 25 cents. I think the same thing may have happened in many other western countries. I think the governments were instructed to do it.

gitano

Juniors
I think solar panels are only now worth getting if you can get the battery system. I think you are looking at about 17 000 or so for a good battery system with 20 panels. I think the government rebate was an incentive to get the home owners to pay for the panels, that would benefit the power companies, who can buy the power for around 5 cent a kilowatt and sell it back to the consumer for 20 to 25 cents. I think the same thing may have happened in many other western countries. I think the governments were instructed to do it.
Bloody Millward!

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Going through the same dilemma at the moment. I got a quote from the spruikers at the trade show. They are all about cheap and quick. They talk a good talk but they want to whack the panels in where its most convenient for the installers, not where i want them to go for best output and to keep my roof access. They talked up the brand of solar panels they carry and talked down the alternatives. The written quote was cheap, but was based on 16% efficiency panels when i know you can get 18% ones.

Also got a quote from the local solar guy who has been in business for years and is highly regarded in the community. He will do everything i want and use 18% panels. But the quote is 50% more.

Still haven't made a decision.

BLM01

First Grade
Whoever is thinking about ot do some reserach on the rebate system and talk to people that have them. Cost V Savings.
Of course people that got them earlier were entitled to good rebates.... not so sure now.
Sure some will say I dont have electricity bills..so if you spent $7,000 - $8,000 or more for a decent system how long does it take to recoup your money? i.e. years to recoup money based on your current bills. Then how long before you start spending money on the system to keep it going.
Just do the research and the math OT......or just ask Mary

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Whoever is thinking about ot do some reserach on the rebate system and talk to people that have them. Cost V Savings.
Of course people that got them earlier were entitled to good rebates.... not so sure now.
Sure some will say I dont have electricity bills..so if you spent $7,000 - $8,000 or more for a decent system how long does it take to recoup your money? i.e. years to recoup money based on your current bills. Then how long before you start spending money on the system to keep it going.
Just do the research and the math OT......or just ask Mary

It's marginal. My plan was to set up panels to offset the pool pump in the morning and the aircon in the afternoon. I effectively save 30c/kWh that way. Otherwise you just get the 7 -20 c/kWh that the electricity companies will pay.

BLM01

First Grade
It's marginal. My plan was to set up panels to offset the pool pump in the morning and the aircon in the afternoon. I effectively save 30c/kWh that way. Otherwise you just get the 7 -20 c/kWh that the electricity companies will pay.
What do you do if you get a few weeks or longer of bad weather. Costs then?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
What do you do if you get a few weeks or longer of bad weather. Costs then?
I weighed that up as we get pretty crappy weather down here during winter.. Lack of sunlight and windy as all hell..

So I installed one of these bad boys in the backyard..
images

Overall it’s been great at keeping the power bills down..

Only downsides are a lack of space to play backyard cricket, lots of dead birds in the yard and the neighbors don’t talk to me anymore..

41yearsaint

Juniors
I have only had off grid stand alone systems. Calculate night time usage and get quotes for stand alone at night. From 4pm is peak from where im from. All come down to cost of course.

BLM01

First Grade
I weighed that up as we get pretty crappy weather down here during winter.. Lack of sunlight and windy as all hell..

So I installed one of these bad boys in the backyard..
images

Overall it’s been great at keeping the power bills down..

Only downsides are a lack of space to play backyard cricket, lots of dead birds in the yard and the neighbors don’t talk to me anymore..
geez Muzby...hope you good some good stock or a good lawn mower. Busy over summer keeping all that lawn at bay.

merahputih

Juniors
From my bit of reading scientific articles battery technology is set to take off in the next few years. Lithium, which is very expensive will be replaced with more common, efficient and cheaper alternatives and economy of scale will further push prices down as more people jump on board. Even electric cars will be cheaper and have longer range and won't be just for billionaires pushing their green credentials. Might be worth waiting a few years. Also I believe there is a growing problem with the power grid not being able to cope with the rapid growth of solar panels.

merahputih

Juniors
Not happy Jan
A couple of pop ups already on this thread.

Old Timer

Coach
Going through the same dilemma at the moment. I got a quote from the spruikers at the trade show. They are all about cheap and quick. They talk a good talk but they want to whack the panels in where its most convenient for the installers, not where i want them to go for best output and to keep my roof access. They talked up the brand of solar panels they carry and talked down the alternatives. The written quote was cheap, but was based on 16% efficiency panels when i know you can get 18% ones.

Also got a quote from the local solar guy who has been in business for years and is highly regarded in the community. He will do everything i want and use 18% panels. But the quote is 50% more.

Still haven't made a decision.
We are very lucky living out in the Hawkesbury as we have big blue skies, no trees to cause shading on the panels, main roof profile faces due North
One of the doorknockers basically said
We will install it all for free at xyz $ then they take the govt rebate off that and the difference abc $ is calculated and paid for by me over 40 months from the savings (suggested 80%) off the power bill.
So in effect no $ from me but no savings off the power bills until the system is paid off and of course I pay the same $ as I pay now (subject to increases of course) but own the system after the 40 months and then keep all the savings.
When asked if I just paid up front for everything to get the savings now of course the system is cheaper by $1,200 so much for costing me nothing over the 40 months offer.
Part of the issue is working out what savings we can make by utilising power at different times of the day (both retired).
Gas hot water and cook top
Have LED lights throughout
No pool pump
Air con/ heater used sparingly
Dishwasher & washing machine used during the day
Night time of course is TV / lights / oven (occasionally)
As possum would say the power industry is a mess and it is not easy to work out what is value for money.