What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Matterson possibly on the way out?

WT2K

Juniors
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/d5b53fbe8c7d6e1b8768716a5f8ae20c

Ryan Matterson now talking to South Sydney as Tigers exit looms

South Sydney are now genuine players in the race to sign out-of-favour Wests Tigers utility Ryan Matterson.

The Daily Telegraph understands the Rabbitohs are planning a preliminary meeting with Matterson’s management as early as Thursday as they look to replace retired club legend John Sutton.

No offer has been made but Souths are interested in Matterson, who wants to quit the Tigers two years before his deal concludes.

Matterson has already met with Parramatta officials this week, while Canterbury, Newcastle, St George Illawarra, Melbourne, Gold Coast, Cronulla and Penrith are also keeping a keen eye on the movements of the player who was 18th man for the Blues this year.

Matterson is known to be interested in joining Penrith but a hurdle could be the fractured relationship between the Panthers and Tigers over the Ivan Cleary coaching drama.

The Rabbitohs believe the ball-playing Matterson can be a perfect replacement for edge playmaker Sutton.

However, the Tigers will complicate any Matterson negotiations with a request for compensation — either financial or in the form of a player in return.

Souths football manager Mark Ellison is overseeing recruitment while head of football Shane Richardson is overseas and head coach Wayne Bennett is coaching England in the World Cup Nines.

Matterson left the Sydney Roosters after last season to sign a three-year deal with the Tigers worth around $350,000 a year.

The Parramatta junior now believes he can secure more money elsewhere, and the interest in him suggests he is right.

His Tigers teammates are understandably angry with Matterson over his desire to quit the club mid-contract.

There are those at the Tigers who don’t want him back, even if he can’t do a deal with another club. Just last week, retired Tigers legend Robbie Farah said Matterson’s dispute with the club was “beyond the point of return”.

It is understood Matterson will fly to the Gold Coast next week to meet new Titans coach Justin Holbrook.

However, insiders claim Parramatta are the early favourites to sign the 25-year-old.

Fed-up with his attitude, the Tigers gave Matterson permission last month to negotiate with rival clubs. Now Tigers coach Michael Maguire has now lost two of his better players from this season in Matterson and centre Esan Marsters, who has signed with North Queensland.

The Tigers are keen to have the Matterson drama concluded before the new NRL financial year starts on November 1.

The unknown

Juniors
Maybe just rumours, but I heard Madges exit from South Sydney wasn't very pretty. Not sure if the players from that side he coached would wanna play under him again

gordynz

Juniors
Maybe just rumours, but I heard Madges exit from South Sydney wasn't very pretty. Not sure if the players from that side he coached would wanna play under him again
I honestly think Seibold is more of a villain than Madge. He tried to convince/brainwash the players into a revolt against Madge and then ditched them a year later for Brisbane. I dont necessarily think Madge has a bad name among the Rabbitohs so I wouldn't be surprised if we could strike a deal, may mean we have to pay overs on the cap for them to leave, but could still land a quality player. I just hope it's not those washed up poms..

I honestly think Seibold is more of a villain than Madge. He tried to convince/brainwash the players into a revolt against Madge and then ditched them a year later for Brisbane. I dont necessarily think Madge has a bad name among the Rabbitohs so I wouldn't be surprised if we could strike a deal, may mean we have to pay overs on the cap for them to leave, but could still land a quality player. I just hope it's not those washed up poms..

Could be more Madge might have the craps with Souths because of his exit than Souths having the craps with Madge. if that is the case, Madge would not want to do Souths any favours.

Would not be surprised if the WT get a player swap , than expect the same player to carry on like a tool in the off season and have his contract torn up ...ala Lodge and Musgrove.

super_coach

First Grade
https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...-at-wests-tigers-report/ar-AAIWq1j?ocid=ientp

This is a better article. I'd love to see the club play hard ball on this issue.

Pascoe made it clear in the recent Q&A that the deal had to be to our advantage or no deal. He would lose a ton of face if he let Matto walk without getting something decent in return.

I say it’s about 100 to 1 he will be with us next year and with pre season not far away the cards should start to fall

Tigerm

First Grade
Pascoe made it clear in the recent Q&A that the deal had to be to our advantage or no deal. He would lose a ton of face if he let Matto walk without getting something decent in return.

I say it’s about 100 to 1 he will be with us next year and with pre season not far away the cards should start to fall
If he doesn't turn for preseason training then he is surely in breach of contract and can be sued.
Otherwise back to the lower grades and beyond