What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suliasi Vunivalu shock code switch

jim_57

Staff member
Is he even eligible for the Wallabies? Pretty sure he isn't eligible for the Kangaroos yet.

WT2K

Juniors
In a dramatic week, Suliasi Vunivalu has been attacked in Bali and feared for his life, and is now close to switching to Australian rugby.

The Wallabies are already preparing for the next World Cup and their No.1 target is Melbourne Storm sensation Suliasi Vunivalu.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Vunivalu has met with high-ranking Australian rugby officials about a shock code switch taking him through to France 2023.

Vunivalu is contracted to the Storm for next season, and at this stage Rugby Australia’s deal for the flying winger would be from 2021-23 in a contract worth close to $2 million.

However, with the Storm’s salary cap issues – Cameron Smith could yet play on next year – it’s understood that Melbourne could give Vunivalu an early release to join rugby in 2020.

Vunivalu would follow in a long line of NRL stars making the switch, and the 23-year-old is seen as a player capable of emulating Israel Folau.

Ironically, Vunivalu broke Folau’s NRL record for most tries in a debut season (22) in 2016 and is equally potent in the air.

The revelation about his negotiations with Australian rugby comes amid a dramatic week for Vunivalu, after he was the victim of a king-hit in a Bali nightclub that left him with cuts to his face.

He escaped serious injury, while Storm teammate Nelson Asofa-Solomona received a three-Test ban and a $15,000 suspended fine for fighting with the alleged assailant on the street shortly afterwards.

Vunivalu did not face any sanctions over the incident, and told the Telegraph on Friday he’d feared for his life and could have been in a coma.

His planned move to rugby would take him back to the game many believed he’d play professionally while he was at school in New Zealand.

Vunivalu attended the famous St Kentigern College in Auckland, whose alumni includes All Blacks greats Joe Rokocoko and Jerome Kaino, and was in the Auckland Blues academy before he was poached by the Storm.

The Fijian-born winger will have watched former NRL stars Semi Radradra and Marika Koroibete starring at this Rugby World Cup and no doubt is keen to be on a similar global stage.

RA’s future planning comes as the Wallabies prepare to face England in the first of the four Rugby World Cup quarter-final on Saturday evening in Oita, Japan.

If the Wallabies lose, it’s expected coach Michael Cheika will be sacked, with Kiwi Dave Rennie already the frontrunner to replace him.

Young stars Jordan Petaia, Taniela Tupou, Izack Rodda and Allan Alaalatoa have signed long-term contract extensions, as have captain Michael Hooper and prop Scott Sio, giving the Wallabies a solid base to plan their next Cup campaign.

Vunivalu can put pen to paper with RA and depending on whether he is given an early release by the Storm, can begin negotiations with Australian Super Rugby franchises this year or next.

Given he is established in Melbourne, the Rebels would seem the obvious choice for Vunivalu, however all four Australian teams are sure to bid for the 99kg giant.

Vunivalu is one of the most prolific tryscorers in league, crossing 72 times in 94 first grade games, while scoring 12 tries in eight Test matches for Fiji

DeeJ

Bench
Melbourne always lose these athletic wingers to rugby - Koribete, Dufty.

I'm sure they can replace him.

taipan

Referee
Whatever happens it, shows the ARU are devoid of many quality home grown players ,whereas in the past Private schools in this country and a few State Schools under GPS branding provided the players.

It suggests to me both RL and AFL are grabbing local teens ,and ru is missing out on many of them.
I can understand a guy with a ru background such as his, would be open to decent offers.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
Melbourne always lose these athletic wingers to rugby - Koribete, Dufty.

I'm sure they can replace him.

Always a risk with players with a background in Union, especially Islander and NZ players.

In saying that 2 million/3 years for Vunivalu is massive overs, but if Rugby Australia sees a Fijian winger as their savior then good luck to them.

some11

Referee
I'm not sure if he's got anymore strings to his bow - 16/17 he was great but been on the decline since.

He isn't anywhere near as lethal as Radradra or Sivo.

taste2taste

Juniors
The Wallabies are starting to look more like a Pacific Island All Star team :D

It seems league raids rugby schoolboys and they grab our wingers, Isn't there a crazy number of former Australian Rugby School boys playing in the NRL ? Cronk, Cleary, Maroa ( going back to rugby), Murray, Crichton, Ponga .... I'm sure there's at least a dozen more.

Nelson Asofa-Solomona will be the next go, with a strong rugby background in NZ the NZRU made him an offer last time he was off contract. Oh well, at least league gets back a 38 yr old Sonny Bill Williams next season.

I do think its a concern that a cash strapped code can offer a player double than what we can :/ We can pay more at school boy level but they can pay more at professional level ??

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
Good riddance. I see this as a win for rugby league. ARU pay overs and NRL gets rid of one of its gubbiest wankers. Can they take Lodge and Packer next please?

taste2taste

Juniors
Myth: league takes Australian Rugby Schoolboys.

Truth: these kids play both codes but league is their primary code.

A few exceptions to this including Crichton.

GPS, CAS and the other private schools don't let them play league, so during high school ages 12 to 18 they are Rugby Union players.