What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

ReddFelon

Juniors
The WA state government have announced the sale of the Western Australian TAB, with the two contenders looking to take control being Tabcorp and Tatts. As part of the sale, new allowances including virtual horse racing and virtual greyhound racing, alongside keno will be allowed to be operated by TAB businesses. Some critics have called it Pokies by stealth, could this lead to the formation of Leagues Clubs and/or sporting & social clubs? Could it potentially allow a Pirates bid to have an accompanying Leagues club making it more attractive to the NRL?

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/tab-sale-has-bonus-for-local-industry-147168

Perth Red

Post Whore
The WA state government have announced the sale of the Western Australian TAB, with the two contenders looking to take control being Tabcorp and Tatts. As part of the sale, new allowances including virtual horse racing and virtual greyhound racing, alongside keno will be allowed to be operated by TAB businesses. Some critics have called it Pokies by stealth, could this lead to the formation of Leagues Clubs and/or sporting & social clubs? Could it potentially allow a Pirates bid to have an accompanying Leagues club making it more attractive to the NRL?

I hope not, I’d rather not have a club than have the scourge of pokie zombies in every pub.

Dragonwest

Juniors
I quite like number 2.

Great to see another jnr club start up and as you say covering a region we lost previously. With Ellenbrook, Alkimos, Kwinana, Albany, Broome and all the SW Jnr clubs staring up in recent years we must be heading for an all time high number of Jnr RL clubs in WA?
I count 27 now, that must be even bigger than early 90's when the game was at its peak isnt it?

1995 had the following local junior Perth clubs:

Joondalup
North Beach
Sorrento
Marangaroo
Mosman-Cott
Belmont
Eastern Districts
South Perth
Applecross
Willagee
Fremantle
Midland
Canning
Armadale
Rockingham
Mandurah

Speaking to a junior development officer about 3 years ago (before the girls game took off) total numbers of juniors were about half what they were 20 years before.

Jatz15

Juniors

No, in Perth a political party advocating for pokies is advocating for immediate political death. They will legalise drugs before pokies.

ReddFelon

Juniors
No, in Perth a political party advocating for pokies is advocating for immediate political death. They will legalise drugs before pokies.

They've already said that as part of the sale Tabcorp will be getting restrictions on virtual horse and greyhound games lifted. It's effectively stealth pokies and McGowan loves revenue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
1995 had the following local junior Perth clubs:

Joondalup
North Beach
Sorrento
Marangaroo
Mosman-Cott
Belmont
Eastern Districts
South Perth
Applecross
Willagee
Fremantle
Midland
Canning
Armadale
Rockingham
Mandurah

Speaking to a junior development officer about 3 years ago (before the girls game took off) total numbers of juniors were about half what they were 20 years before.

we’re getting back to where we were and I’d say in regional WA We are ahead. I’d like to see WANRL target midland and a club in the hills next. Midland Magpies and Kalamunda Cowboys?

ReddFelon

Juniors
Getting the Applecross Jets back would help too. Victoria Park or Cottesloe wouldn't be a terrible idea either.

Dragonwest

Juniors
we’re getting back to where we were and I’d say in regional WA We are ahead. I’d like to see WANRL target midland and a club in the hills next. Midland Magpies and Kalamunda Cowboys?

With Freo moving down to Cockburn I think we have a good geographical spread going.

My next two target areas with hurting established clubs would be:

- Armadale
- Morley/Beechboro

I'd like to say Mosman/Cott but the demographic in the area couldn't sustain it.

Clubs Locations.png

Perth Red

Post Whore
With Freo moving down to Cockburn I think we have a good geographical spread going.

My next two target areas with hurting established clubs would be:

- Armadale
- Morley/Beechboro

I'd like to say Mosman/Cott but the demographic in the area couldn't sustain it.

View attachment 33796

The new serpentine club will cover Armadale I think?

midland might be a good spot?

Perth Red

Post Whore
“Minister for Sport & Rec Mr Mick Murray who showed everyone at the NRL - National Rugby League Nines announcement he is a Cash Converters Australia West Coast Pirates supporter “

NRL needs to make hay and get an nrl team here whilst this WA Govt is in power so supportive of RL!
6F8D236D-D8C6-4B16-9251-35DC32BD9085.jpeg

taipan

Referee
Not looking good today - wonder if relocation is on the cards?

No.That won't happen. V'Landys has been specific ,he and the board don't any more fan disillusionment and leg ups for competitors, in the home base.
You add on not deduct.

adamkungl

Immortal
V'landys "Forget wasting millions on rusted-on AFL states"

Write it off for another 5 years at least. V'landys reign will be inward-looking and pandering to the lowest common dickhead.
This was clear from the support he has from Buzz and friends, this was clear from his first speech.

Don't get hopes up for Perth, Adelaide, or a growing international scene. Rugby League is going nowhere fast.

Perth Red

Post Whore
V'landys "Forget wasting millions on rusted-on AFL states"

Write it off for another 5 years at least. V'landys reign will be inward-looking and pandering to the lowest common dickhead.
This was clear from the support he has from Buzz and friends, this was clear from his first speech.

Don't get hopes up for Perth, Adelaide, or a growing international scene. Rugby League is going nowhere fast.

Just read the article in the West. He has managed in a day to destroy 5 years of work by the NRL in getting the WA Govt on board. Minister Murray stating in the paper they will have to to review the Govt's strategy of investing in RL if thats the NRL's position. Considering this is just V'Landys opinion and not the ARLC decision, who are waiting on the expansion report allegedly, then it is very damaging business. I would have thought given V'Lnadys is supposed to be some stakeholder management guru that he would know when to keep his mouth shut? His outburst could cost the NRL & NRLWA millions in WA Govt funding.
The more things change the more they they the same with RL, sigh. Cant say I didn't tell you so!

You can read the rather depressing article here:
https://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-west-australian/20191202/281694026641081

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
Just read the article in the West. He has managed in a day to destroy 5 years of work by the NRL in getting the WA Govt on board. Minister Murray stating in the paper they will have to to review the Govt's strategy of investing in RL if thats the NRL's position.
The more things change the more they they the same with RL, sigh. Cant say I didn't tell you so!

The statement was utter stupidity even he does feel that way. Do these people realise it is possible to be positive about something (Brisbane 2) without talking down other options and really the game in general. He's basically admitted he thinks the NRL can't get a foothold in "AFL Heartlands". Ridiculous.

Latest posts