What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

Diesel

Referee
another poor crowd in Sydney for a non-NRL event. Is it time for Sydney to lose these events and share it around a little more?

GAZF

First Grade
15684@Bankwest
Pretty damn average.
Probably should never be held in Sydney again.
It's weak as piss, especially since the event had been marketed for months in advance. Been a great day at Bankwest and the small crowd has been the only letdown. The event was wasted on an apathetic Sydney which will keep it away from here in the future

Tickets were expensive though. $95 for the nosebleeds. Probably should have priced it cheaper to seed demand for future events. Knowing the (Australian bloc of the) IRL though, they'll shelve the concept for another 22 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
newcastle would embrace the nines. 25.000 Saturday an 33,000 sellout Sunday'

Tbf pretty much any city in Australia would have a better turn out than Sydney this weekend, the apathy for the game in its heartland is concerning. Must be busy traffic or something?

Diesel

Referee
Sydney is over saturated with RL from March to the first weekend in October.

Events like this, and even trials should go to other cities and regionals.

No doubt Todd wanted to thank the NSW Govt by having another event in Sydney

PARRA_FAN

Coach
newcastle would embrace the nines. 25.000 Saturday an 33,000 sellout Sunday'

I disagree with those figures, maybe next weeks test match. Although could've got better crowds.

Problem with this tournament was the scheduling and ticket prices. Once again Rugby league shoots itself in the foot with the 7s and 9s tournaments. We could do better but unfortunately the people running the game aren't helping.

grozzy

Juniors
Tbf pretty much any city in Australia would have a better turn out than Sydney this weekend, the apathy for the game in its heartland is concerning. Must be busy traffic or something?
Of course, it has nothing to do with the fact there was bugger all promotion, lousy scheduling, or the Edinburgh Tattoo was on at the same time

Perth Red

Post Whore
Of course, it has nothing to do with the fact there was bugger all promotion, lousy scheduling, or the Edinburgh Tattoo was on at the same time

1. I doubt there was any RL fan in Sydney who didn’t know this was on
2. Agreed, Friday was one of the dumbest things in recent nrl decisions, and that’s saying something!
3. Lol, there’s 5 million in Sydney, surely enough people for two events?

on the plus side it was highly entertaining and enjoyable and reduced the RL off season dead zone for genuine fans of the game, hopefully they’ll do it again in a couple of years.

taipan

Referee
25k on Saturday should have been the pass mark.It didn't make it>organising heads should roll.
Seriously having it on a Friday night and being far from city centre, was an act of complete Olympic class dumbness.
IMO it should have been held in Brisbane.They are starved of action.
The idea of any tournament of this calibre is at the very worst to break even ,or optimistically make some decent loot.I'll bet my left and right one ,we lost money.

siv

First Grade
It's weak as piss, especially since the event had been marketed for months in advance. Been a great day at Bankwest and the small crowd has been the only letdown. The event was wasted on an apathetic Sydney which will keep it away from here in the future

Tickets were expensive though. $95 for the nosebleeds. Probably should have priced it cheaper to seed demand for future events. Knowing the (Australian bloc of the) IRL though, they'll shelve the concept for another 22 years.

I would have made it GA allowing nations to pick a bay for fans to congregate to

Maybe only 4 upper deck centre line bays to be reserved seating

T-Boon

Coach
The biggest problem with the tournament is nobody cares about the teams. Should be a club thing.

siv

First Grade
It is the wrong time of the year for this. People have been over League for at least a month. Nines should be a club, mid season thing when the NRL goes into hibernation for 4 weeks while state of origin is on. The NRL season should be 18-20 rounds. The NRL GF on the October long weekend should be the last game of RL played in the country.
10 rounds - then
4 week NRL hibernation with Origin and club nines; then
10 rounds; then
finals

I thought timing was pretty good

Location is the issue

But it's been proven since 1926 when finals began holding any event City Cup, State Cup, Endeavour Cup, Ch 10 Cup, City v Country, NSW v QLD or Internationals post season in Sydney hasn't worked crowd wise

Diesel

Referee
I disagree with those figures, maybe next weeks test match. Although could've got better crowds.

Problem with this tournament was the scheduling and ticket prices. Once again Rugby league shoots itself in the foot with the 7s and 9s tournaments. We could do better but unfortunately the people running the game aren't helping.
But somehow all get massive bonuses out of it.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
I have 4 relatives in Sydney who all follow NRL. None of them knew it was on. This includes one who lives within walking distance of Bankwest.

It might have got a lot of airtime on Fox but Ch 9 didn't mention it much in the finals from memory.

franklin2323

Immortal
It was always going to be Aust v NZ. $95 for those seats that are in the Sun all day was just dumb. Good starting point for the tournament but fix a few things and hopefully it grows

greenBV4

Bench
Austadiums reporting Saturday crowd as 15,688, pretty poor but hopefully it's stuck with and crowds/interest will grow

would the 40,000 at the Everest of detracted from the crowd much?

Latest posts