What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess retires

Bandwagon

Staff member
Seriously though, when it comes to insurance, what is a "new" injury?

I mean at some point it was new, when does it stop being new for the purposes of a payout?

Is it considered existing once he signs a new contract, which would seem fair, or is there some kind off time limit as to how long after an injury occurs and then forces retirement

lazza

Juniors
"Burgess apparently has only 25 per cent bone in one of his shoulders." - What? How does that work? Surely it'll just snap on his next tackle!

AJB1102

First Grade
"Burgess apparently has only 25 per cent bone in one of his shoulders." - What? How does that work? Surely it'll just snap on his next tackle!

Surely they mean cartilage or something. If the rest was plates and shit you'd be laughing having a shoulder made up of 75% metal I woulda thought.

Someguy

First Grade
Seriously though, when it comes to insurance, what is a "new" injury?

I mean at some point it was new, when does it stop being new for the purposes of a payout?

Is it considered existing once he signs a new contract, which would seem fair, or is there some kind off time limit as to how long after an injury occurs and then forces retirement

I would say if he signed the contract with this injury known then it would not be new, would be the fairest way.

Not to make light of the situation but quite possible he could develop a new mental health issue stemming from this injury and other things reported going on in his life. If he is not mentally capable of playing then it would be fair for him to retire on these grounds, forget cap welfare comes first.

t-ba

Post Whore
If he retires he will be paid out and it is unlikely to count toward the cap. This is the most likely scenario, almost no point holding out for any different.

We can still howl into the void over about how unfair it all is however!

Of Course Souths will get saloon passage...

AJB1102

First Grade
So there isn't insurance companies making the determinations and possible payouts it the NRL and clubs?

I thought it was similar total permanent disability insurance in regular workplaces. If it NRL discretion then usually I'd say roll out the wheel of fortune and have a spin but Sam and Todd do coffee dates.

typicalfan

Coach
We can still howl into the void over about how unfair it all is however!

Of Course Souths will get saloon passage...
Yeah watch Souths put in a mega bid for David Fifita or something after he retires but that won't stop it from happening.

Latest posts