What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

Avenger

Immortal
What a derby it is going to be next week.
Wanderers now 2 from 2.
It will sell out (obviously). Crowd will be 28000 and something, for some reason (members not turning up or whatever other reason), but the atmosphere will be amazing.
It’s very important to the league that our arch enemies are doing well. Not too well but you know what I mean. :stuck_out_tongue:

Suitman

Post Whore
It’s very important to the league that our arch enemies are doing well. Not too well but you know what I mean. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, two strong Sydney teams is the backbone of the League.
It's not quite the same in Melbourne as City don't have the support that the Wanderers have. There's is a faux derby

Avenger

Immortal
Yesterday my son went to a trial at Inter Lions under 18's. NPL3 side. So we rock up there at Bressington Park in Homebush and we hear that they retained 9 of their squad and are looking for another 7 players. They came 5th this year and are a solid outfit.

Over 90 kids show up. I tell my son to not play it safe and demonstrate what he can do. He is already over 6 foot 1 and runs like the wind and is a right sided player. Anyway within the first 30 min 40 kids immediately get cut. One kid in particular takes it hard and my son consoles him and tells him that he too was cut from Rockdale Suns in NPL1 and made it to the last 4 players.

He finally gets his chance and nutmegs this kid, runs down the line, crosses the ball and his team score a nice goal. He is immediately signed as the 10th player. I was so proud of him but even more for consoling that young boy earlier.

A massive weight off his shoulders and mine. Now he can get an extra 4 ATAR marks for the HSC because he plays rep football. My wife and I love watching him play.

What a cut throat world.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Yesterday my son went to a trial at Inter Lions under 18's. NPL3 side. So we rock up there at Bressington Park in Homebush and we hear that they retained 9 of their squad and are looking for another 7 players. They came 5th this year and are a solid outfit.

Over 90 kids show up. I tell my son to not play it safe and demonstrate what he can do. He is already over 6 foot 1 and runs like the wind and is a right sided player. Anyway within the first 30 min 40 kids immediately get cut. One kid in particular takes it hard and my son consoles him and tells him that he too was cut from Rockdale Suns in NPL1 and made it to the last 4 players.

He finally gets his chance and nutmegs this kid, runs down the line, crosses the ball and his team score a nice goal. He is immediately signed as the 10th player. I was so proud of him but even more for consoling that young boy earlier.

A massive weight off his shoulders and mine. Now he can get an extra 4 ATAR marks for the HSC because he plays rep football. My wife and I love watching him play.

What a cut throat world.
Great stuff from your young lad. Is that ATAR increase an actual thing?

Suitman

Post Whore

What a cut throat world.

Great story Avy!
Congrats to your son for making it through. It's such a buzz for them.

My son also had a trial with Inter Lions a few seasons ago, because the academy he was with at the time was also linked with Inter Lions. The academy is ASA and is run by a guy named Pat. He has a big say in Inter Lions NPL selections. Did you meet him?

Unfortunately young Suit didn't make it through at that time, but he was asked to go to a week long coaching academy in China (Shanghai) run by Stoke City, which he went to in January this year. There were kids there from all around the world - Europe, South America etc... It was quite a blast for him and a real learning experience.

Our boys sound like they are about the same age - young Suity played Under 17's this year.

And yes, you are right. Football is a cut throat world. What pisses me off the most though is the cost to put our kids through this level of football. I have paid many seasons worth of over $2000 in fees for young Suity to be trained in academies. It has been worth it for the coaching and increased level of his ability, but there are hundreds, if not thousands of others who also do this. Only the elite, or those who started at academies at a young age generally get through. Young Suit didn't start at an academy until under 14's, and already the politics was at play, and those that had started at under 8's/9's, were already the favourites and still selected. The ability of some of them was questionable, but they already had their foot in the door, so to speak. I could tell you more if you want, but the trials at NPL clubs were just a debacle.
Young Suit was so disillusioned that he decided this season he would just go back and play club football with his mates. He's a midfielder/striker and ended up being the leading goal scorer and had a really enjoyable season.

But geez, don't start me on the politics in football. The kids who have loud, pushy parents, who have lots of money...….

Lastly, how funny is it when the kids get so excited about megging someone!! It's like they've won a premiership!!

Noise

Coach
Great stuff from your young lad. Is that ATAR increase an actual thing?
So many bonus points are given out by universities. You can get bonus points for living in a suburb close by to the uni - it doesn't even have to be a socio-economically disadvantaged area. Some uni's also give bonus points by getting average results ( eg band 4 which is 70%) in certain subjects that have something to do with the course you are doing.

Universities are keen for bums on seats.

Avenger

Immortal
Great story Avy!
Congrats to your son for making it through. It's such a buzz for them.

My son also had a trial with Inter Lions a few seasons ago, because the academy he was with at the time was also linked with Inter Lions. The academy is ASA and is run by a guy named Pat. He has a big say in Inter Lions NPL selections. Did you meet him?

Unfortunately young Suit didn't make it through at that time, but he was asked to go to a week long coaching academy in China (Shanghai) run by Stoke City, which he went to in January this year. There were kids there from all around the world - Europe, South America etc... It was quite a blast for him and a real learning experience.

Our boys sound like they are about the same age - young Suity played Under 17's this year.

And yes, you are right. Football is a cut throat world. What pisses me off the most though is the cost to put our kids through this level of football. I have paid many seasons worth of over $2000 in fees for young Suity to be trained in academies. It has been worth it for the coaching and increased level of his ability, but there are hundreds, if not thousands of others who also do this. Only the elite, or those who started at academies at a young age generally get through. Young Suit didn't start at an academy until under 14's, and already the politics was at play, and those that had started at under 8's/9's, were already the favourites and still selected. The ability of some of them was questionable, but they already had their foot in the door, so to speak. I could tell you more if you want, but the trials at NPL clubs were just a debacle.
Young Suit was so disillusioned that he decided this season he would just go back and play club football with his mates. He's a midfielder/striker and ended up being the leading goal scorer and had a really enjoyable season.

But geez, don't start me on the politics in football. The kids who have loud, pushy parents, who have lots of money...….

Lastly, how funny is it when the kids get so excited about megging someone!! It's like they've won a premiership!!
No, I haven't met Pat. Just the manager. His name is George. My son is a late bloomer. Only made his first Rep team at Youth level when he was turning 15. Many of those political kids are not playing now. I'm talking about the ones that always played at NPL1 level with Apia, Marconi etc.

Avy Junior had an awful experience at Stanmore Hawks. The coach was replaced at the start of the season (the one that chose the squad) and in came this 22-year-old tosser who teaches at a private school. We ended up coming second last. He immediately took a disliking to my son and they never gelled. He called him too passionate. The young coach had no idea and I never said anything to him and despite my boy coming second in the Players player awards, he was not retained.

So rather than doing the trial back bullshit we chose another team. I'm happy with this mob despite paying the usual $2300 fee. It's nothing, not even enough to buy a decent watch. :)

Suitman

Post Whore
No, I haven't met Pat. Just the manager. His name is George. My son is a late bloomer. Only made his first Rep team at Youth level when he was turning 15. Many of those political kids are not playing now. I'm talking about the ones that always played at NPL1 level with Apia, Marconi etc.

Avy Junior had an awful experience at Stanmore Hawks. The coach was replaced at the start of the season (the one that chose the squad) and in came this 22-year-old tosser who teaches at a private school. We ended up coming second last. He immediately took a disliking to my son and they never gelled. He called him too passionate. The young coach had no idea and I never said anything to him and despite my boy coming second in the Players player awards, he was not retained.

So rather than doing the trial back bullshit we chose another team. I'm happy with this mob despite paying the usual $2300 fee. It's nothing, not even enough to buy a decent watch. :)

Lol about the watch comment. :)
I can't afford $2000 watches. I struggle to afford putting Jnr Suit through these academies and NPL teams. But I've always given him the opportunity just in case. The China (Shanghai) Stoke City opportunity was a case in point. It was also a great life learning experience for him as he went on his own to a strange country (albeit with a training squad). For a 16 yo, it would have been daunting. The first time I travelled overseas was on my honeymoon when I was 23. I didn't have a clue. And it was only to Singapore ffs!

Anyway, It's a tough old world out there in the football community. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about with your experience with Stanmore. We've had the same elsewhere. It really sucks.

Avenger

Immortal
Good game. Bit of luck involved but WSW held on and deserved their win. Great to see the stadium full.