What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you going to the Kiwi Test Match? Because no one else is.

Burns

First Grade
So was unsure to make this Thread in the International section, but I was more curious on the local reaction.

I posted in the confirmation thread of the Australia v Tonga Test, that ticket sales are showing we are very close to a sell out.

See here: http://premier.ticketek.co.nz/shows...LTickets&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=2018Test

Prices for that Test are not to different to the upcoming Australia v New Zealand Test. Gold covered (upper tier on both sides) are $60 for an adult, where as the Kiwi test is $56 for similar tickets.

You can see the Kiwi Test prices and currently sold tickets
here: http://premier.ticketek.co.nz/events/KIWISKAN18/venues/AES/performances/EALZ2018901/tickets

~~~
The Kiwi Test is just under 5 weeks away. Not all tickets are available for purchase and, well, maybe they wont need to be. Huge section of the upper tier are unsold. From the information available, there may be under 5,000 sold for the first Australia v New Zealand Test since the 2014 Four Nations Final.

In comparison, the Tonga Test is tracking towards a sell out and has tickets available on the North Embankment.

Now, this probably isn't shocking news and is expected. But should the NZRL be concerned about the current sales for the Kiwi match? Does this highlight how obvious the decision should be to play Tonga every single year?

What do you think the crowd will be for the Kiwi match? What should the crowd be?
~~~~
All things considered, I think the Kiwi's could win this match. Australia will have a new fullback, five eight, halfback and hooker. Very vulnerable.

playdaball

Bench
I haven’t thought too much about going to the Kiwi test but have thought about the Tongan test match. Quite strange as neither an Aussie or a Tongan but the atmosphere looked amazing last year. Kiwi test crowd will be around 16k I think. Could have been more if the Warriors had of kicked on a little longer.

Burns

First Grade
I had read that depending on the demand for the Tonga Test, there could be a move next year to play the Mid-Year Test against Kiwis at Eden Park. I think they'll do that easy.

Matua

Bench
I had read that depending on the demand for the Tonga Test, there could be a move next year to play the Mid-Year Test against Kiwis at Eden Park. I think they'll do that easy.
I guess it depends on how well the Tongans go in this test, if they get tonked then last year might just be the aberration.

Does this highlight how obvious the decision should be to play Tonga every single year?

Absolutely. The Pacific has always been the future of the rep game as far as moving past Origin is concerned. The ptb have known this for quite some time.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Tongan players show up and want to die for that jersey. Ours don't. Any surprise they're the ones selling more tickets? Why would anyone want to watch us when we couldn't show any ticker in a World Cup, let alone a meaningless Test?

Matua

Bench
Tongan players show up and want to die for that jersey. Ours don't. Any surprise they're the ones selling more tickets? Why would anyone want to watch us when we couldn't show any ticker in a World Cup, let alone a meaningless Test?
That's not true at all - lots of Kiwis players 'die' for the jersey, they were just hamstrung by an idiotic coach last year and the team fell apart because of it.

I actually don't think this Tongan surge is sustainable. It's built on Taumalolo (and to a lesser extent Fifita) defecting and then taking a bunch of players with them (few of who would be starters for the Kiwis anyway). They have less depth in key areas than what NZ does and once that depth is tested they're likely in trouble.

Meth

Staff member
I'm done with Rugby League for the year post-GF

If the Warriors went deeper in the finals, I might have shown as interest in the Kiwis. But it wasn't to be

Matua

Bench
I'm done with Rugby League for the year post-GF

If the Warriors went deeper in the finals, I might have shown as interest in the Kiwis. But it wasn't to be
I'm the opposite from you - looking forward to watching the Kiwis play 5 tests in a row.

After all, the failing Warriors are an 'Auckland' club. ;)

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Good point that Matua makes about Tongas current surge into tier one. It'll be interesting to see if they can continue to get top players to offer their services for little to no pay.

Anyway I'd go to watch the Kiwis if the team was...

1. RTS
2. Rapana
3. Manu
4. Marsters
5. Issako
6. Hughes
7. Nikorima
8. J. Bromwich
9. Luke
10. Taupau
11. Tapine
12. Harris
13. Liu

14. Smith
15. Fisher-Harris
16. Ese'ese
17. Asofa-Solomona

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
That's not true at all - lots of Kiwis players 'die' for the jersey, they were just hamstrung by an idiotic coach last year and the team fell apart because of it.

I actually don't think this Tongan surge is sustainable. It's built on Taumalolo (and to a lesser extent Fifita) defecting and then taking a bunch of players with them (few of who would be starters for the Kiwis anyway). They have less depth in key areas than what NZ does and once that depth is tested they're likely in trouble.

That's a fair point, although Adam Blair didn't give a monkey's f**k and he was the captain.

Burns

First Grade
Bump!

The Tonga match now has single seats only on the Upper South stand, and general admission on the Northern Embankment.

The Kiwi match has tickets available everywhere, and seems to have not out seats on sale for the Upper Southern stand on Northern embankment.

Grim.

Burns

First Grade
Buuuuuuuuuump.

Are you going to the Kiwi Tests this year in New Zealand? Are you attending this weekend's match in Hamilton with Tonga v GB Lions?

Why do I ask?

Because nobody else is.

Seriously, what's doing New Zealand? I know the Rugby Union World Cup is on, and (hilariously) this weekend's Semi Final, and the Final will clash with the Hamilton and Eden Park Tests - but according to posters in the International forum, these two matches have only sold a few thousand each.