What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 NRL draw

siv

First Grade
We seem to be evolving into a worse TV impacted schedule than we had in the recent ThuNF and Fri 6pm decision

Reactions: Vee

Nuke

Staff member
This was confirmed for Perth's HBF Park in early 2020 months ago.
It's only the dates that have been now confirmed.

As a Novocastrian who's lived in Perth for about 36 or 37yrs, I have been waiting since early 1996 for the Knights to return to play in Perth again, and I would love to be at the Nines to see them in action.

But fate can be a bitch at times ... I'll be in Sydney at that weekend!

Nuke

Staff member
HBF Park is also the home of the Perth Glory soccer team. Perhaps they have the ground booked for the Sunday.
If that's not the case, then a 3pm Friday afternoon in Perth is just dumb. Okay, there's the heat factor to first consider, which I can tell you, mid-February should be in full-force by then, but given they'll be playing all the next day in it regardless makes it kind of a moot point.
But 3pm? Kids are still in school. Adults are mostly still at work.

I don't get it.

kdalymc

Bench
This was confirmed for Perth's HBF Park in early 2020 months ago.
It's only the dates that have been now confirmed.

As a Novocastrian who's lived in Perth for about 36 or 37yrs, I have been waiting since early 1996 for the Knights to return to play in Perth again, and I would love to be at the Nines to see them in action.

But fate can be a bitch at times ... I'll be in Sydney at that weekend!
Haha u spastic

Someguy

First Grade
HBF Park is also the home of the Perth Glory soccer team. Perhaps they have the ground booked for the Sunday.
If that's not the case, then a 3pm Friday afternoon in Perth is just dumb. Okay, there's the heat factor to first consider, which I can tell you, mid-February should be in full-force by then, but given they'll be playing all the next day in it regardless makes it kind of a moot point.
But 3pm? Kids are still in school. Adults are mostly still at work.

I don't get it.

won’t be 3pm for the majority of the target audience

Nuke

Staff member
won’t be 3pm for the majority of the target audience
No, I get that 6:30pm eastern is an ideal time for the 'target audience'.
But before 3:30pm western is a crap time for locals to get there for.

Here's a thought, NRL, play the games Saturday and Sunday. Have the first game at 10am local (western) time, which is 1pm eastern. Locals can attend easy enough (as HBF Park is fairly central in the Perth metro area), and those who want to watch it on tv over east can also do so. Both kinds of audience are then catered for. The stadium is full from the get-go, which looks great on tv, which is a great advertisement for the game and makes sponsors happy.

Starting first game at 3:30pm WA time (6:30pm eastern) means the last game could be finishing at, what, 8:30pm or so WA time ... which puts it at 11:30pm eastern. I know there's no school the next day, but I'm sure a fair chunk of the younger portion of the target audience you speak of will not be able to stay up late enough to watch all their fleet-footed heroes work their magic in the nine-a-side format of the game.

Nuke

Staff member
Haha! My plans and flights, ect, have been booked since April this year. Well before the Perth Nines were locked in, and even more well before the dates were officially announced yesterday!

hutch

First Grade
World cup 9s NRL 9s. Can we just have some f**ken test matches back ffs. Where's the 4 nation's gone too

aus v nz, Great Britain playing two tests v NZ, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and png playing in Oceania cup also over the next few weeks. Plus euro World Cup qualifiers, USA v Cook Islands World Cup qualifier. Plenty of international rugby league coming up soon.

Vee

First Grade
Can't see them selling out or even close. Fans won't travel in numbers for the event and as keen as the WA RL community is to see some football, there won't be enough to fill the ground.

_Johnsy

Referee
Storm v Warriors has been an ANZAC tradition for a while now, and generally Melbourne's highest attended match every year, it would be silly to change that tradition.
I don't see an issue with allowing NZ to host an ANZAC day game once every few years. If anything it should automatically alternate between Melbourne & NZ..

Lambretta

First Grade
I would like the following

Games at stupid timeslots no one wants to go to or can physically get to, such as 6pm on a Friday in Brookvale (or 6pm Friday anywhere for that f**king matter) or Thursday nights so kids or people who work can't attend

I want to see late night Sunday games. There's nothing like looking at the clock on a Sunday afternoon and thinking "I'm f**king shagged, I can't be arsed going anywhere. I want to see a game of footy played by disinterested merkins in an empty stadium whilst listening to some fat old hack whinge on endlessly about a 50/50 refereeing call which went the opposite way to which he thought it should.

I want to see day games whilst its stinking f**king hot and plenty of night games whilst its freezing f**king cold

I want to see the NRL, the tv stations, the journalists and everyone involved in the game doing as much as possible to death ride the game and ensure as few people as possible are interested.

So I am pretty much endorsing they keep doing everything they have been doing for the past few years.

Thx.

Canard

Immortal
I don't see an issue with allowing NZ to host an ANZAC day game once every few years. If anything it should automatically alternate between Melbourne & NZ..

I understand your sentiment, but that would be peak Rugby League to change something that works and a developing tradition, just for shits and giggles.

GAZF

First Grade
I would like the following

Games at stupid timeslots no one wants to go to or can physically get to, such as 6pm on a Friday in Brookvale (or 6pm Friday anywhere for that f**king matter) or Thursday nights so kids or people who work can't attend

I want to see late night Sunday games. There's nothing like looking at the clock on a Sunday afternoon and thinking "I'm f**king shagged, I can't be arsed going anywhere. I want to see a game of footy played by disinterested merkins in an empty stadium whilst listening to some fat old hack whinge on endlessly about a 50/50 refereeing call which went the opposite way to which he thought it should.

I want to see day games whilst its stinking f**king hot and plenty of night games whilst its freezing f**king cold

I want to see the NRL, the tv stations, the journalists and everyone involved in the game doing as much as possible to death ride the game and ensure as few people as possible are interested.

So I am pretty much endorsing they keep doing everything they have been doing for the past few years.

Thx.
I would like the total opposite to eveything here. But I respect your opinion, spokesperson for News Limited.

Lambretta

First Grade
I would like the total opposite to eveything here. But I respect your opinion, spokesperson for News Limited.

Buzz Lightbrain at your dis-service

Ready to rile up the mentally challenged into hating the game I purport to love.......... then blaming the referees..... and the NRL

Springs09

Juniors
aus v nz, Great Britain playing two tests v NZ, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and png playing in Oceania cup also over the next few weeks. Plus euro World Cup qualifiers, USA v Cook Islands World Cup qualifier. Plenty of international rugby league coming up soon.

Yeah but they are nothing much more than a bunch of meaningless one-offs. Plus Australia's played 1 test in Australia in the last 2 years.

If the 9s count towards the 'player welfare' argument they are always trotting out then f**k the NRL 9s off for good.

hutch

First Grade
Yeah but they are nothing much more than a bunch of meaningless one-offs. Plus Australia's played 1 test in Australia in the last 2 years.

If the 9s count towards the 'player welfare' argument they are always trotting out then f**k the NRL 9s off for good.

Id imagine the players don’t consider playing for their country “meaningless”!

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRLs pretty much guaranteed day one of nines will be a damp squib. Going to be three hours into it before most fans could get there. Either day 1 tickets need to be dirt cheap or just sell a 2 day ticket for a reasonable price. It does make you wonder how nrl sets it’s priorities for these events? I doubt fox is stumping up much to cover it and it isnt going to attract new subscribers so what’s it matter to Fox if it’s sat/sun instead of a fri? Only justification is if the stadium isnt available on the Sunday but Glory arent playing that weekend so unless there is a concert on it looks available?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
NRLs pretty much guaranteed day one of nines will be a damp squib. Going to be three hours into it before most fans could get there. Either day 1 tickets need to be dirt cheap or just sell a 2 day ticket for a reasonable price. It does make you wonder how nrl sets it’s priorities for these events? I doubt fox is stumping up much to cover it and it isnt going to attract new subscribers so what’s it matter to Fox if it’s sat/sun instead of a fri? Only justification is if the stadium isnt available on the Sunday but Glory arent playing that weekend so unless there is a concert on it looks available?
I'm not sure if anybody's covered it yet, but I imagine travel+recovery might be a factor to the scheduling of both sets of 9s.

With last week's tournament, they may have wanted to maximise the ability of Tonga and GB to get across to NZ, and allowing the players to be in camp for longer (incl Aus and NZ for the Gong test too).

For next year, clubs will have to fly back from Perth and prep for trials the following weekend, and the Roosters will likely want to get straight to the UK assuming they're heading out to play in WCC.

Latest posts