What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
Triple M's Mark Geyer has urged boom forward David Fifita to take the money when he officially enters the open market on November 1.

Fifita is signed with the Broncos for the 2020 season but can begin negotiations with other clubs from the first of next month and a plethora of clubs want his signature.

The Broncos don't have a lot of cap space and could only offer half of what clubs like the Parramatta Eels or Canterbury Bulldogs can offer, which is potentially $1-Million a season.

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/ta...-dollar-contract-and-leave-the-broncos-149959

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Good player but don’t think he is worth $1 million. It’s a huge risk offering that amount to an edge forward who is still in his first year.

Plenty of examples of boom rookies killing it in their first year but then not kicking on.

Additionally I don’t think any edge forward is worth $1 million (even the best like Cordner / graham / Frizzell), good way to stuff your cap.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Good player but don’t think he is worth $1 million. It’s a huge risk offering that amount to an edge forward who is still in his first year.

Plenty of examples of boom rookies killing it in their first year but then not kicking on.

Additionally I don’t think any edge forward is worth $1 million (even the best like Cordner / graham / Frizzell), good way to stuff your cap.
If Lolo’s on a mill a season I can see Fifita demanding close to that. He’s only 19 so also has plenty of improvement in him. Sure, you might be paying a bit on potential but it’s very conceivable that he will become the best edge forward in the game in the next year or two.

Bandwagon

Staff member
A big factor in Fifita's decision to leave or stay is that only the Donkeys can offer him a concrete increase in what he earns next season, and I have no doubt they will find the cap space to do it.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
If Lolo’s on a mill a season I can see Fifita demanding close to that. He’s only 19 so also has plenty of improvement in him. Sure, you might be paying a bit on potential but it’s very conceivable that he will become the best edge forward in the game in the next year or two.

Of course I don’t doubt Fifita’s potential and that he can come the games best edge forward. But $1m I reckon (1/10 of your cap) is just to much for a non spine player.

Also I think middle forwards are more important then edge players, most attack starts from the middle. Probably why JT is worth more.

However of course I want Fifita playing for the blue and gold just not on a $1 million contract. Look at lane / Matterson (if he was to come), they wouId probably be on a combined amount of no more then $1million.

Noise

Coach
Of course I don’t doubt Fifita’s potential and that he can come the games best edge forward. But $1m I reckon (1/10 of your cap) is just to much for a non spine player.

Also I think middle forwards are more important then edge players, most attack starts from the middle. Probably why JT is worth more.

However of course I want Fifita playing for the blue and gold just not on a $1 million contract. Look at lane / Matterson (if he was to come), they wouId probably be on a combined amount of no more then $1million.
Edge players often play 80min (or close to). Middle forwards usually play 40-60min.

Teams can easily afford one player on $1 million. Our spine is pretty decent and fairly cheap. How is having a million dollar edge player going to negatively effect our side?

Gronk

Staff member
Edge players often play 80min (or close to). Middle forwards usually play 40-60min.

Teams can easily afford one player on $1 million. Our spine is pretty decent and fairly cheap. How is having a million dollar edge player going to negatively effect our side?
Some teenager coming to our club on more than Moses better tear new arseholes every week otherwise it's going to upset others in the side. They may publicly say "good luck to him" but nek minute be on the phone to their manager. Ryan Matterson was presented with the same scenario. Washed up hasbeens earning 3 times his salary whilst his efforts were a significant reason why they were winning games.

hindy111

Post Whore

My guess would be 800k-850k
Lane signed as a bench player for Manly. 300k would of been about it if I took a guess.

hindy111

Post Whore
Issue for mine is we do not need a Fifita. We need more N.Brown types. A Jake Tibjivic would be a better fit for our side.
We have enough talent to score points. We lack inspirations,leader and mongrel. Some grit. Who in our pack has it? Jnr and Lane are great players. But they aren't born leaders.

And I do not see it in Kafusi or Stefano. Stone I however do.We need a Greg Bird style.