What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That makes no sense. If a club has room in their salary cap doyou think they wouldn't make a higher bid for a star who coasts more than a spine player even though he would make them a better team? Rubbish!
And I'd say edge forwards are probably the most involved position after the spine, when you consider defence and work off the ball.

The best 80 minute forwards in the game would be on more than plenty of spine players.

Gronk

Staff member
That makes no sense. If a club has room in their salary cap doyou think they wouldn't make a higher bid for a star who coasts more than a spine player even though he would make them a better team? Rubbish!
You are putting team harmony at risk. Running a footy club is about man management as much as it is about who takes the ball up on the 3rd tackle.

The rumblings from the Titans were loud and clear when Hayne was not putting in at training and bludging in games. The other players were not happy, Jan.

84 Baby

Referee
You are putting team harmony at risk. Running a footy club is about man management as much as it is about who takes the ball up on the 3rd tackle.

The rumblings from the Titans were loud and clear when Hayne was not putting in at training and bludging in games. The other players were not happy, Jan.
I’m sure there’s toolbags earning lower salaries

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I reckon your highest paid players also need to be leaders. Is Fifita ready for that at 19?

Happy MEel

First Grade
There might be some exceptions like Sam Burgess or Tomolololololololololololo, however most sides would not be paying an edge backrower more than their gun 7 or 1.
Then why can’t we be another exception for one of the best edge forward prospects I’ve seen since SBW, who is already an origin forward and is closer to a Kangaroos jersey than our entire roster at age 19?

Gronk

Staff member
Then why can’t we be another exception for one of the best edge forward prospects I’ve seen since SBW, who is already an origin forward and is closer to a Kangaroos jersey than our entire roster at age 19?

The Dogs might pay $1m for him because they are desperate to build a team around some quality, but if he wants to play for a competitive team going places then he'll have to accept 20/30% less at the eels.

Happy MEel

First Grade
The Dogs might pay $1m for him because they are desperate to build a team around some quality, but if he wants to play for a competitive team going places then he'll have to accept 20/30% less at the eels.
Says who?

I have no idea what our cap position is, but if we do have anywhere near $1mill left for 2021 (and possibly next year if we can wrangle it) after extending Drown and Mahoney then why not spend it on a genuine elite player in a position we need to fill like Fifita?

Sure we could get 2 strong nrl players (an edge and middle forward) for the same coin, but they won’t be game breakers. I’m also not sure we NEED another middle in order to make us contenders. People forget that this year’s middle rotation got us a fifth finish and we’ve already strengthened it with the addition of RCG. At worst that shouldn’t weaken us and realistically, should improve us. The addition of Fifita would infinitely improve our edges on this season and with the continued improvement of Moses and Drown, along with Blake getting more time in our backline, we should be a top 4 side challenging for the 2021 premiership.

We have a window and we need to give ourselves the best opportunity to take advantage of it.

Last edited:

Happy MEel

First Grade
Interesting times me thinks.
Me...if I ever read on here that we have officially signed Fifita

source.gif

T.S Quint

Coach
Defender yes. Attack unsure. Kikau is a weapon in attack. Has a far better offload.
Fifita is more of a brut .

You don’t think that having a brute like him on our edge would be a good idea?

I’d say he’d be perfect for us and just what we need. It all comes down to price though.

hindy111

Post Whore
Josh Jackson is same size as Stone. Both made NRL debut at simmilar age.

Greg Bird wasnt a whole lot bigger.

T.S Quint

Coach
22yld and spent most the year injured. Played 137mins of NRL. That's less then 2 full games. Forwards need 20 NRL games to get up to speed. He won't play origin but he could be a handy player in 2020 and fits the mould of type I like. Huge heart.

You say all this and yet have completely dismissed Stefano and Kaufusi who are two years younger than Stone.

Not saying that they will be stars or anything, but you can’t make that argument for one and not for the others.

hindy111

Post Whore
You don’t think that having a brute like him on our edge would be a good idea?

I’d say he’d be perfect for us and just what we need. It all comes down to price though.

Yeah I would love him at 750-800k.
But unsure he would help give us the toughness AMD grit of say a worse side then us in the Bulldogs who just have more determination and hunger.
I feel like we have soft bellies. Once the chips are down we roll over.

hindy111

Post Whore
You say all this and yet have completely dismissed Stefano and Kaufusi who are two years younger than Stone.

Not saying that they will be stars or anything, but you can’t make that argument for one and not for the others.

Big strong Islander boys who have potentially high ceilings. Both seem very quiet and respectable humans. I dont see any thuggery in either. They'll play the game nicely and do a job perhaps. And I haven't dismissed. Just started I dont get excited by our forwards cause to many end up flops.

Stone I reckon could fire these guys up. We need thugs,mongrels...We miss Kenny Edward's.