What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solid article about defensive workrate

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This clever merkin has worked out a better stat for ddefensive involvement than mere tackles-per-minute:

It's a pretty good read, and illustrates some stuff about current and former Eels players. A quote:

Over the past six NRL seasons, Alvaro owns two of the three highest Tackle % for a season of players who played more than 150 minutes during a season. His 2017 and 2018 seasons rank second and third, and his 2019 season ranked 14th. Alvaro’s 2017 season for the Eels was particularly impressive, with over 600 tackles made in 23 games at a 38% rate.

84 Baby

Referee
Don’t talk yourself up merkin. And where’s my stats on inside/outside defender missed tackles and opposition metres gained per tackle per player?!?!? FFS!

Bandwagon

Staff member
The obvious potential flaw there is the inability to account for ebbs and flows in possession, because the averaging of defensive plays across eighty minutes assumes a constant, or that given enough of a sample size, it'll simply even out over time. Whilst the less minutes a player plays, the higher the likelihood of a statistical anomaly in that regard.

Chipmunk

Coach
The obvious potential flaw there is the inability to account for ebbs and flows in possession, because the averaging of defensive plays across eighty minutes assumes a constant, or that given enough of a sample size, it'll simply even out over time. Whilst the less minutes a player plays, the higher the likelihood of a statistical anomaly in that regard.

I agree with this thought.

To get an accurate result you would need to break down the possession better than just across 80 minutes.

Other than that it's a good metric.

I presume Carlos the Dwarf is Pou Bear's brother.

emjaycee

Coach
I agree with this thought.

To get an accurate result you would need to break down the possession better than just across 80 minutes.

Other than that it's a good metric.

I presume Carlos the Dwarf is Pou Bear's brother.
I reckon Carlos has done a pretty half arsed job TBH.
NRL already graphs possesion flow throughout the game and minutes on and off for players... c'mon PouPou.

Happy MEel

First Grade
This clever merkin has worked out a better stat for ddefensive involvement than mere tackles-per-minute:

It's a pretty good read, and illustrates some stuff about current and former Eels players. A quote:
The reference to “noted turnstile Bryce Cartwright” was worth the read alone...although the author could have thrown “anti-vaxxer” in there too.