What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 NRL draw

beave

Coach
for f**ks sake.

The NRL are f**king idiots. Yes i get that NQ v Brisbane is a ‘cool way’ to open the new stadium, but if they used their brain for one second, regardless of who they play in week one, it will be a sell out. Why waste that game for the first game at the stadium? You could play Canterbury like we did in 1995, get 25k, and then 2 weeks later player brisbane and get 25k again. I swear they cannot think a little more out of the box at times to maximise crowds and revenue.

The Marshall

Juniors
for f**ks sake.

The NRL are f**king idiots. Yes i get that NQ v Brisbane is a ‘cool way’ to open the new stadium, but if they used their brain for one second, regardless of who they play in week one, it will be a sell out. Why waste that game for the first game at the stadium? You could play Canterbury like we did in 1995, get 25k, and then 2 weeks later player brisbane and get 25k again. I swear they cannot think a little more out of the box at times to maximise crowds and revenue.
You’d think if Cowboys have a decent season on the field they will average over 20k there anyway won’t they? I definitely see your point though it’s the same as Parra v Dogs at BankWest there’s enough hype in Round 1 that you don’t need to used a big game to draw a crowd.

Marlins

Juniors
for f**ks sake.

I agree with all that, but the tv ratings will be huge. Cows/Broncs Rivalry,
New Stadium, Possible Holmes return. It does setup quite nicely.

Springs09

Juniors
for f**ks sake.

They did the same thing when they opened Bankwest on Easter Monday with a game that always gets 30k+ anyway.

You’d think if Cowboys have a decent season on the field they will average over 20k there anyway won’t they? I definitely see your point though it’s the same as Parra v Dogs at BankWest there’s enough hype in Round 1 that you don’t need to used a big game to draw a crowd.

You do when its a Thursday. Then there's the question of why they waste big derbies that can draw big crowds on Thursday f**king nights.

Marlins

Juniors
One good thing about Eels/Dogs @ BankWest, is we don’t get a Thursday night Roosters game @ Scg.

The Marshall

Juniors
You do when its a Thursday. Then there's the question of why they waste big derbies that can draw big crowds on Thursday f**king nights.
For sure! They will probably still get a decent crowd but I think it would have been a guaranteed sellout on any other day of the weekend.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
They did the same thing when they opened Bankwest on Easter Monday with a game that always gets 30k+ anyway.
That was less to do with planning and more to do with the opening being delayed.

Canard

Immortal
for f**ks sake.

They are playing them in a trial two weeks earlier in Cairns also

typicalfan

Coach
I agree that anyone could play the Cowboys round 1 and it would be a good crowd. Especially if it was Saturday Night.

jim_57

Staff member
I agree that anyone could play the Cowboys round 1 and it would be a good crowd. Especially if it was Saturday Night.

Sharks would have been a good one, they've got a little bit of rivalry in recent years (knocking each other out in 16&17). Plus if Holmes returns there is some more hype.

Diesel

Referee
HBF Park is also the home of the Perth Glory soccer team. Perhaps they have the ground booked for the Sunday.
If that's not the case, then a 3pm Friday afternoon in Perth is just dumb. Okay, there's the heat factor to first consider, which I can tell you, mid-February should be in full-force by then, but given they'll be playing all the next day in it regardless makes it kind of a moot point.
But 3pm? Kids are still in school. Adults are mostly still at work.

I don't get it.
Would like to hear Todd’s response to kids still being at school at 3pm while this event is on

Nuke

Staff member
Day kickoff times have been released. I don't have them handy, but it was something like (WA times) 4:05pm Friday and 11:30am Saturday.

While slightly better than my pessimistic 3pm guess last night, 4pm isn't really much better. Kids still finish school at, what, 3:15pm or so? If they went to school nearby to the stadium, no probs. But Perth is quite a spreadout place, with the biggest growth areas up beyond Joondalup to the north, out Ellenbrook way to the east, and south of Rockingham to the south. All areas with big League participation rates. These would provide a lot of the junior attendances at HBF Park, and unless they get pulled out of school early that day, none of these kids will be there at the ground before the first game kicks off.

Glenn

First Grade
Another stuff up by the NRL with the Parramatta vs Canterbury game , any time slot apart from Thursday night and you could just about guarantee a sell out. :rolleyes:

Ikuvalu fan

Juniors
https://leagueunlimited.com/news/34276-perth-to-host-2020-nrl-and-nrlw-nines/

Event timings
Friday 14 February: Game 1 starts at 4:05pm
Saturday 15 February: Game 1 starts at 11:10am
I assume this is local time? So the primary audience will have footy starting at around 7 and ending somewhere around midnight if the ending times are the same as the world cup nines. Perth a very hard destination to get right considering time zone differences. Still think the NRL missed a trick not scheduling on a Saturday/Sunday