What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matty Johns Podcast

Lambretta

First Grade
So did Finch appear on any other episodes?

Singo was just with Johns
The last episode had Hoops in Finch's chair. On Hoops..... have you ever seen anyone with more negative body language? Uncross your arms mate.

Has Finch been stood down?
Has anyone heard if he's ok?

Travitoh

First Grade

The last episode had Hoops in Finch's chair. On Hoops..... have you ever seen anyone with more negative body language? Uncross your arms mate.

It was originally Hoops I'm pretty sure

ram raid

Bench

He was working on Fox the following weekend. He's fine. Matty and Kenty probably belted him after the show out the back.

axl rose

Bench
Wish him well with his recovery.

Brett Finch enters mental health facility
https://tinyurl.com/yysl39my (paywall)

Former NRL star turned media identity Brett Finch has entered a mental health facility after suffering a medical incident this week.

Concerns were raised after Finch was spotted asleep with a blood nose on a flight from Sydney to the Gold Coast on Sunday.

A passenger told us Finch “looked like he couldn’t bring himself to get off the plane. White as a ghost, couldn’t control his runny nose and (appeared) paranoid.

“He wasn’t abusive. He just didn’t want to get off the plane, like he was scared about something.
“The captain came out… they had to call fireys and ambulance to get him off.”

Another source said that the sight of Finch struggling with his breathing was “pretty confronting’’ and “sad”.

Several sources confirmed the former State of Origin star checked into a facility to start work on his health.

Concerns were initially raised by viewers about Finch after he appeared highly agitated on the Matty Johns podcast last month.

Finch has previously talked about how he hit “rock bottom’’ after his retirement from rugby league in 2013.

The former Roosters, Raiders, Eels and Storm halfback said he isolated himself for six months as he dealt with crippling mental demons and the loss of his sporting identity.

“It took a few years, it took three trips to rehab facilities,” Finch told The Matty Johns Podcast. “I learned a lot about myself and the things that I’m dealing with. I had to realise I’m not going to get the highs I had in footy and for so long I was chasing that.”

Finch played in two grand finals for the Roosters but his biggest moment came in the first game of the 2006 Origin series when he kicked the winning field goal after being called into the squad on the eve of the match.

“One day I was a football player, the next day no one cares. It’s over,” Finch said of his rugby league highs. “I struggled to get any satisfaction in life.

“You train to extreme levels, you’re super fit and super strong. I thought I was a mentally tough bloke. I was trying to get some highs in my life.

“Someone I was seeing professionally told me to go down to Bondi Beach and watch the sunrise. So I did that and I thought, ‘Is this is it? Who gives a shit. This is nothing like playing a grand final.”

Wish him well with his recovery.

Brett Finch enters mental health facility
https://tinyurl.com/yysl39my (paywall)

Former NRL star turned media identity Brett Finch has entered a mental health facility after suffering a medical incident this week.

Concerns were raised after Finch was spotted asleep with a blood nose on a flight from Sydney to the Gold Coast on Sunday.

A passenger told us Finch “looked like he couldn’t bring himself to get off the plane. White as a ghost, couldn’t control his runny nose and (appeared) paranoid.

“He wasn’t abusive. He just didn’t want to get off the plane, like he was scared about something.
“The captain came out… they had to call fireys and ambulance to get him off.”

Another source said that the sight of Finch struggling with his breathing was “pretty confronting’’ and “sad”.

Several sources confirmed the former State of Origin star checked into a facility to start work on his health.

Concerns were initially raised by viewers about Finch after he appeared highly agitated on the Matty Johns podcast last month.

Finch has previously talked about how he hit “rock bottom’’ after his retirement from rugby league in 2013.

The former Roosters, Raiders, Eels and Storm halfback said he isolated himself for six months as he dealt with crippling mental demons and the loss of his sporting identity.

“It took a few years, it took three trips to rehab facilities,” Finch told The Matty Johns Podcast. “I learned a lot about myself and the things that I’m dealing with. I had to realise I’m not going to get the highs I had in footy and for so long I was chasing that.”

Finch played in two grand finals for the Roosters but his biggest moment came in the first game of the 2006 Origin series when he kicked the winning field goal after being called into the squad on the eve of the match.

“One day I was a football player, the next day no one cares. It’s over,” Finch said of his rugby league highs. “I struggled to get any satisfaction in life.

“You train to extreme levels, you’re super fit and super strong. I thought I was a mentally tough bloke. I was trying to get some highs in my life.

“Someone I was seeing professionally told me to go down to Bondi Beach and watch the sunrise. So I did that and I thought, ‘Is this is it? Who gives a shit. This is nothing like playing a grand final.”

yes just read the same. Goes without saying I really hope he’s in good hands with the best of support.

And if there’s anything positive about this, it’s the unanimous support and best wishes from folk such as in these forums for a bloke who’s really struggling. It’s a positive sign of modern times that mental health is now openly discussed and supported in a constructive way... and guys like Brett Finch (or anyone else battling demons) can have the best chance of getting back on track.

ram raid

Bench
I wonder if being around the game as a commentator is actually dong him more harm than good.

Yeah I was gonna say something along those lines. Being in the media has to be pretty stressful job, especially if you are not, you know, trained for it.

Remember when Joey first started commentating? I was like please, somebody give this f**ker a beer.

axl rose

Bench
Yeah I was gonna say something along those lines. Being in the media has to be pretty stressful job, especially if you are not, you know, trained for it.

Remember when Joey first started commentating? I was like please, somebody give this f**ker a beer.
Thurston was terrible this year as well. Mumbles everything and is just way out of his comfort zone. Channel 9 will give any former elite player a microphone with seemingly zero training.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
I wonder if the whole eye gouging incident and sticky going off protecting his player affected him as finchy was the one commentating that day and was emphatic they eye gouge was a a disgrace and then the podcast was the following week after sticky’s response