What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Kangaroos v France

siv

First Grade
How many were in the French U19s tour squad

Only 3 from the World 9s ? I would have expected almost all of that 9s squad plus a few better U19s guys

Storm13

Juniors
I thought they were pretty good in the qualifiers? They pissed it in. A surprisingly not disappointing year for the French
The win against Wales they played like a team with purpose. The next two games they just got worse. They look dysfunctional with dropping passes, running wrong lines, ball being passed behind players etc. Got the wins but it was not pretty.

Storm13

Juniors
give me this side against an Aus U23s

Tony Gigot, Morgan Escare, Bastien Ader, Hakim Miloudi, Paul Marcon, Lucas Albert, Theo Fages, Romain Navarette, Alrix da Costa, Jason Baitieri, Benjamin Jullien, Rhys Curran, Mickael Goudemand

Subs: (all used) Thibaud Margalet, Bastien Escamilla, Lambert Belmas, Stanislas Robin
Need to be all the pro players picked first for me. Then fill in with Toulouse players then elite one players.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
2 possessions by the Aussies, 2 tries. I'll get back to work now and make sure I'm home for the main game.

Green_

Juniors
Embarrassing. This will put the French light years behind. No disrespect to Cologni, Time to bring in an NRL standard coach in. Western Division will thump them as well. Sorry times for the French RL

Green_

Juniors
give me this side against an Aus U23s

Tony Gigot, Morgan Escare, Bastien Ader, Hakim Miloudi, Paul Marcon, Lucas Albert, Theo Fages, Romain Navarette, Alrix da Costa, Jason Baitieri, Benjamin Jullien, Rhys Curran, Mickael Goudemand

Subs: (all used) Thibaud Margalet, Bastien Escamilla, Lambert Belmas, Stanislas Robin

Imagine Trent Robinson taking hold of this side!!! So much potential

jim_57

Staff member
Embarrassing. This will put the French light years behind. No disrespect to Cologni, Time to bring in an NRL standard coach in. Western Division will thump them as well. Sorry times for the French RL

Even considering the excuse of this being their 'B' team, their B team should still be doing better than this.

adamkungl

Immortal
Even considering the excuse of this being their 'B' team, their B team should still be doing better than this.

Not really
They only have 20-odd first grade level players.

This is like playing Roosters v Guildford Owls

jim_57

Staff member
Not really
They only have 20-odd first grade level players.

This is like playing Roosters v Guildford Owls

Disagree. Half that team is from the top 2 clubs in the championship with a decent amount Super League experience as well. Sure I would expect a thrashing 100 times out of 100 but a point a minute?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
A team made up of NRL players vs Elite 1 and championship was always going to end one way...
A team made up of NRL players vs Elite 1 and championship was always going to end one way...

They are semi pros v the superstar young players of Australian rugby league playing in 30 degree heat.

Why are they playing this game. Play NZ Maoris or PNG.....this is ridiculous. Feel for the French, complete mismatch.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Disagree. Half that team is from the top 2 clubs in the championship with a decent amount Super League experience as well. Sure I would expect a thrashing 100 times out of 100 but a point a minute?

It's in 30 degree heat. This Australian team is a very good team.

adamkungl

Immortal

There is not a decent amount of Super League experience.
3 players are current Super League players. 4 others have a handful of SL games between them.

3 SL players,
6 Championship players,
9 Elite One players.

Lucas Albert and Romain Navarrete are the only players to feature in the 2017 WC.

However Hakim Miloudi, Paul Marcon, Lucas Albert, Romain Navarrete, Lambert Belmas, Gavin Marguerite, Bastien Canet played in last years Qualifiers.

jim_57

Staff member
Don't want to be too dramatic but this might be France's lowest point in a long time. Us International RL nerds can sit back and say "oh but it was their 3rd string side" but at the end of the day this is the French test team. When this goes down in their result history, like the 84-4 game against England a few on internet forums will argue that it wasn't their strongest team but it won't be noted beside the official result.

Australia, NZ & England would be watching this and wondering why they should bother playing France again in tests. Why organise a game Vs a team who could be competitive on paper 6 months out but then come game day 15 of their 20 top players have pulled out making it a training run, strong test teams will look at this and say why bother if the FFR and/or their decent players aren't bothered.

jim_57

Staff member
There is not a decent amount of Super League experience.
3 players are current Super League players. 4 others have a handful of SL games between them.

3 SL players,
6 Championship players,
9 Elite One players.

Lucas Albert and Romain Navarrete are the only players to feature in the 2017 WC.

However Hakim Miloudi, Paul Marcon, Lucas Albert, Romain Navarrete, Lambert Belmas, Gavin Marguerite, Bastien Canet played in last years Qualifiers.

I consider that a "decent" amount, plus the Toulouse players have experience against SL opposition from the Super 8's. Not much but not to be ignored either.

Don't get me wrong I'd expect Aus U23 to crack 50-60 100 times out of 100 but I'd also expect a little fight if there was any sort of pride in the French organisation.

I've been a massive supporter of French League for years and would love to see them do well, I'm running out of excuses I can make for then and reasons to be optimistic about them in years to come.

adamkungl

Immortal
Well, their own captain agrees with you/us. He can see it.

France should be the 4th ranked team in the world and capable of at least a competitive game with the 3rd placed team but have been stagnant or worse in the 20 years ive been watching them.

siv

First Grade
We need to stop the Top 8 auto qualification for RLWC

U18s is pretty even

You then focus on U20s

Then it's big boys. Don't think U23s concept will work away from NSW

jim_57

Staff member
Well, their own captain agrees with you/us. He can see it.

France should be the 4th ranked team in the world and capable of at least a competitive game with the 3rd placed team but have been stagnant or worse in the 20 years ive been watching them.

Judging by the amount of "injuries" they normally have I'm guessing Baitieri has said what a lot of their players have been thinking. Hopefully this is a catalyst for change now that their captain has pretty much quit. Can't see many test teams wanting to play them outside of official tournaments when it could get to the week of the game and they announce a squad missing any players who could have made a game of it.

It's in 30 degree heat. This Australian team is a very good team.

Plenty of 30° days in the South Of France where all these guys are from.

Latest posts