What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

age.s

First Grade
Well Egan cleared up at least $500k of cap space so we should be ready to make a big splash.

Well Egan cleared up at least $500k of cap space so we should be ready to make a big splash.

500k?!

I remember seeing this figure before, but I’m almost certain that’s the amount over his 3 year deal. Not one season.

which means he doesn’t really free up much space at all. Minimum contract is $110k next year.

I think it might of been tongue in cheek. If he was on 500k a year Gus needs to be taken out the back and shot haha that would be ludicrous.

Daily Telegraph printed that figure iirc.

They worded it as “Wade Egan is on a 500k deal at the Penrith Panthers”

So technically true, but a bit misleading

Bob

Juniors
Does anyone have a login to the Daily Telegraph's that can post the article about the cashed up Panthers?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/4e9adddefe7767b07a8e74ac102dbbd0
I’ve read the article but can’t post it atm, says we have 600k to spend,looking for a prop, 5/8 or centre, never after JWH, would of had more if we didn’t have to subsidise players playing elsewhere, not rushing out to buy anyone, looking for disgruntled players looking to move ie:- Ryan Matterson

Does anyone have a login to the Daily Telegraph's that can post the article about the cashed up Panthers?

Here you go.

dailytelegraph.com.au
Cashed-up Panthers’ $600k spending spree
DEAN RITCHIE, The Daily Telegraph
4-5 minutes
Penrith are cashed up and ready to prey on the NRL’s biggest names.

Following months of shedding players, the Panthers have $600,000 in their salary cap for next season – the most of any Sydney club – and are ready to swoop on a five-eighth, centre or front-rower.

Players who are coming off contract, homesick, hate the coach, or are disgruntled or disillusioned, Penrith are monitoring the situation, more than aware rival clubs will be forced to shed players in coming weeks through NRL off-season salary cap audits.

While most big-name stars are locked down for 2020, players like Wests Tigers utility Ryan Matterson are expected to change clubs over the summer.

8c2ffaeb37e5a25473ce38643b49fea1

Could Ryan Matterson be headed west of the Tigers? Picture: AAP Image/Brendon Thorne)
The Panthers have cash available as they rebuild Phil Gould’s rebuild. moving on seven star players over the past 12 months — Reagan Campbell-Gillard, James Maloney, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Wayde Egan, Corey Harawira-Naera, Waqa Blake and Christian Crichton.

And Penrith could have more to spend had the club not been forced supplement payments for some of these players at rival clubs.

Even a rival NRL recruitment manager admitted “$600,000 is a lot to have” at this time of year.

Some of rugby league’s finest come off contract after next season but are free to negotiate with rivals clubs from November 1.

0a1432a3dac0399ea689fe1b03165e10

Rumours are rife the Sharks are willing to release Matt Moylan. Picture: Getty Images
“There will be clubs that have salary cap issues so Penrith will wait and see what lands. Penrith has a few dollars in the bank,” a source close to the Panthers said. “The club will wait until November 1 and see what comes on the market.

“It is now just a matter of wait and see. The club isn’t in a rush but if they find someone that suits, then okay. The club certainly has plenty of flexibility in their salary cap so let’s see what happens in November.”

The Panthers have denied they want to sign Sydney Roosters prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and refused to confirm rumours Cronulla’s Matt Moylan may return to the foot of the mountains as part of the Sharks’ bid to create salary cap room.

68861f4f4f207d1cf950f0c96ca2f0d7

Penrith have denied speculation they will sign Sydney Roosters grand final-winning prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Picture: Brett Costello
Penrith have discussed signing Melbourne Christian Welch but interest has waned since the forward suffered another knee injury.

The club unsuccessfully tried to sign Brisbane’s Alex Glenn, who is remaining with the Broncos.

“But there is only so long you can hold onto the money,” said one NRL coach.

St George Illawarra meanwhile have six spots left for 2020 but each are lower-end players chasing around $110,000, the minimum wage.

Souths would clearly have money should Sam Burgess be medically retired while the Cowboys have at least $800,000 in the bank should fullback Val Holmes come home from New York.

Should Holmes stay, North Queensland would be then be aggressive in the open market, as could New Zealand Warriors.

Canterbury will have plenty of money in their salary cap after next season, as will Wests Tigers and Parramatta.

Grand finalists Canberra have around $200,000 remaining in their cap for 2020 although Manly are tight given the club is shortly expected to re-sign the Trbojevic brothers, Jake and Tom.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/4e9adddefe7767b07a8e74ac102dbbd0

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I’ve read the article but can’t post it atm, says we have 600k to spend,looking for a prop, 5/8 or centre, never after JWH, would of had more if we didn’t have to subsidise players playing elsewhere, not rushing out to buy anyone, looking for disgruntled players looking to move ie:- Ryan Matterson

Yeah I just read the same on zero tackle.

The article said that we had the most room in our cap out of any Sydney club.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I wouldn't be surprised to see Penrith Target clubs like Manly, Cronulla (who have cap issues). I'm pleased club is willing to play the waiting game. There could be some good bargains to be had.

Is there a time limit for money being held in the cap ?

Also there will be juniors who will come to the fore and show they deserved some love on an upgraded contract. Brian Too a good example of this.

Also like the fact that the club isn't running round aligning themselves to every player in the league.

600k is a bit disappointing if that’s correct.

Plus it’s odd we’d be looking for a 5/8, hopefully that’s incorrect. Centre is far more important.

Remember though we have more money to spend if we sign a player who’s off contract at the end of 2020. In that situation we’d likely take on their existing deal for 2020 and upgrade them from 2021. (Assuming they can get a release for 2020)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Penrith Target clubs like Manly, Cronulla (who have cap issues). I'm pleased club is willing to play the waiting game. There could be some good bargains to be had.

Is there a time limit for money being held in the cap ?

Also there will be juniors who will come to the fore and show they deserved some love on an upgraded contract. Brian Too a good example of this.

Also like the fact that the club isn't running round aligning themselves to every player in the league.

You need to spend 90% of your cap from memory. So we’re over the 90% threshold.

Bob

Juniors
600k is a bit disappointing if that’s correct.

Plus it’s odd we’d be looking for a 5/8, hopefully that’s incorrect. Centre is far more important.

Remember though we have more money to spend if we sign a player who’s off contract at the end of 2020. In that situation we’d likely take on their existing deal for 2020 and upgrade them from 2021. (Assuming they can get a release for 2020)
You’re a glass half empty kind of person aren’t you, 600k is triple what the broncs have and they got to try and do a deal with Croft and Fifita, it will buy us a centre and front rower if we’re smart about it

You’re a glass half empty kind of person aren’t you, 600k is triple what the broncs have and they got to try and do a deal with Croft and Fifita, it will buy us a centre and front rower if we’re smart about it

Haha, probably, yes.

I’m only saying it’s disappointing in context of how many players have been moved on.

Some of the deals we signed players to were just very silly, especially the RCG deal.

Re Fifita, he’s off contract at the end of 2020. So the broncos don’t need to fit in a big deal next year, only from 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts