What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

BrotherJim05

Bench
I must have read something completely different to you guys. I read it as:

‘over paid injury riddled ex rep player doesn’t want to leave huge contract at successful club for the exact same deal at perennial failures’

I think it was a combination of both

macnaz

Staff member
Any news on Jai Arrow? I heard he was seriously considering making a move to Sydney
I dont want to say where I heard it because of privacy... but he has said he would be interested in joining weststigers, so we can gather the club has at least spoken to him. He also may be interested in other clubs for all I know but that wasnt mentioned in the discussion I heard about.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
I dont want to say where I heard it because of privacy... but he has said he would be interested in joining weststigers, so we can gather the club has at least spoken to him. He also may be interested in other clubs for all I know but that wasnt mentioned in the discussion I heard about.
I honestly believe signing a player like Arrow could be a circuit breaker moment for the club, a bit like when Souths signed Asotasi. It will give us that little bit off credibility and show we are moving in the right direction and help attract other quality players to the club.
The other point to make on moving forward is the players that wanted out supposedly because they couldnt handle Madges training regime (Marsters and Matterson), this shows me we have a coach capable of winning (again) and also shows these particular players aren't up to the challenge of being a premiership player. If Madge can get quality players to the club that are willing to meet his requirements we are in a good spot, i'd also imagine that all the local juniors coming through will be training to Madges philosophy so hopefully in a few years we will reap the rewards of that as well.

Tiger05

First Grade
Marsters never wanted to go. He left for more money. He also handled his situation very differently to the way Matterson handled his own situation.

As for Arrow I think it's basically a slight upgrade on Matterson but he would cost us more money.

I don't believe any single signing will turn the club around. We are a middle of the rung team with a salary cap that isn't in a good state because a couple of our most highly paid players aren't performing.

I think we turn into a better team and I think Madge especially is making some decisions to help us improve but it's going to take time.

gordsy

Juniors
I think Moylan would be a step backwards for us. Yes her can do good things, he also does it behind a pack that goes forward much better than we do. I take a couple of big wingers that can get our sets rolling or more grunt in the pack any day over a prima donna like Moylan

super_coach

First Grade
I think Moylan would be a step backwards for us. Yes her can do good things, he also does it behind a pack that goes forward much better than we do. I take a couple of big wingers that can get our sets rolling or more grunt in the pack any day over a prima donna like Moylan

Without doubt Moylan would bring some class and fill a void in2021 when Benji departs at no6.....but I think at this stage in our clubs 100th re build, we need harden pros. You need grunt before flash and if Matterson leaves our pack looks very soft

Tiger05

First Grade
Good points on Moylan. Unless you get him on reasonable dollars it doesn't seem to be worth it does it.

Vozzy

Juniors
I actually think Madge is aware of the past mistakes the club has made on not recognizing the talent that the club had on their books and coming through the Juniors. In doing so he is trying to get rid of overpaid bought players and is planning the future with young players who have potential.

The tigers had Brooks Moses Tedasco Woods JAC PapenH all at the same time but we didn't buy these guys when they were playing 1st grade. We got them from toyota cup or they were our juniors.

We just have to have patience in the likes of Talou Walters and the other young talent coming through.

Tom Mikale is a good example of a forward who has the potential to be like david Fifita. Oliver Clark in his first year was already playing 60mintues without a break in games towards the end of the year. I have noticed he is a good defender in terms of work rate. Compared with packer on 800k who plays 20min stints.

At the end of 2020 a lot of dead money will be off the books and I reckon we can have an exciting young team that would bring a new culture to the club. The Knights showed that buying 7 already made 1st graders isn't the go.

The problem is we haven't made the finals for like 7-8 years straight so it's easy for the average wests tigers fans to be impatient. It will look like Madge isn't doing the job but it's because with every new coach there has to be a more realistic time period for him to turn the mess that has be going since Tim Sheens left. You can't fix 8 years of mess within 1 year.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Rumour on MMM today that Arrow is staying at the Titans, apparently no Sydney club was willing to pay his asking price.

The unknown

Juniors
Cause his asking price is like 900k lol. For a player thats only played a couple origin games and no finals, thatd be Ivan Cleary type overs

The only forwards I would pay that sort of money to is a Jake turbo of Fifita type player, even then I would be pretty cautious

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Rumour on MMM today that Arrow is staying at the Titans, apparently no Sydney club was willing to pay his asking price.

Meninga has said today that Arrow & Brimson have both told the Titans they are going to Open Market, which isnt surprising as it starts in 3 days. Apparently Arrow is asking $800k

Tiger05

First Grade
Meninga has said today that Arrow & Brimson have both told the Titans they are going to Open Market, which isnt surprising as it starts in 3 days. Apparently Arrow is asking $800k

I reckon that the vast majority of players want to stay at their club assuming they are playing first grade but they also want to get paid the most they can possibly get. It seems retention is now more of a problem than recruitment. If you retain players you do it on the maximum amount that any other club will pay.

This is nothing to do with our club being so bad. It's just the way the business is played today.

Tigerm

First Grade
I see it is reported that SBW is being offered $9m for 2 seasons with the Toronto Wolfpack in Canada and that the Roosters said they couldn't match the offer.
Seems strange that they couldn't find this poultry amount in there $50m salary cap LOL

The unknown

Juniors
Would actually love to see it happen, ESL seem to care a lot more about the growth of the international game than the Muppets running the NRL. Heard they are trying to form a New York team aswell