What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers trying to lure $400m car baron Neville Crichton to Concord

Hoofhearted

Juniors
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/0ab010c72b872b53ee75daba187e8429

Forget getting on the bus — down in Leichhardt they want to get on the Maserati, as Wests Tigers aim to secure the backing of a New Zealand car tycoon worth $400 million.

Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph

Meet the Wests Tigers’ answer to Nick Politis.

New Zealand businessman Neville Crichton, a New Zealand car tycoon worth $400 million, is ready to rescue Wests Tigers’ financial concerns and guide the club to rugby league’s promised land.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Tigers have been working for the past three months to convince Crichton to join the club as a key sponsor and business associate.

Crichton, 74, is close friends with Balmain legend Ben Elias.

2a03e0bc30fe84c465c5d5b7ddab0bc0

Neville Crichton could lend the Leichhardt club some new glamour.

Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe has confirmed the club’s interest in luring former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s next-door neighbour at Point Piper to Concord.

A passionate All Blacks rugby union fan, Crichton enjoys a strong friendship with Politis, who also made his $1.5 billion wealth through cars.

“Neville could be Wests Tigers’ new Nick Politis,” Elias said. “I’m trying to woo him from the All Blacks to Wests Tigers.”

A meeting between Pascoe, Elias and Crichton was postponed last week and rescheduled for the first week of November.

Rich lists value Crichton’s worth at $400 million, although other business analysts estimate his wealth could be close to $2 billion.

Wests Tigers already boast a high-profile network of businessmen and supporters including Lee Hagipantelis, principal of Brydens Lawyers, billionaire real estate developer Harry Triguboff, former NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell — who is club chairman — and John Coates, well-known lawyer and administrator.

Crichton has run and developed major automotive and property companies while also being a world class yachtsman who skippered a Sydney to Hobart win and a motor racing driver who competed at Bathurst in 1986.

His amazing wealth came through founding the Ateco Group, which imports highbrow car brands including Suzuki, Audi, Volkswagen, Citroen, Alfa Romeo, Kia, Fiat, Ferrari and Maserati.

“We hope to sit down and lure a very passionate rugby man across to a rival code,” said Pascoe. “Benny and I have been working on this for a couple of months now. We are always interested in high network, but more importantly, influential and passionate people.

“Neville has obviously been very successful in everything he has done and does. Certainly, having someone of his stature and accomplishment associated with our club would give us a lot more power.

“It’s not just financial. Neville has an exceptional record of success and success breeds success. We are always interested in seeking counsel and advice from people that have been successful.

“If we can get learnings from them or get into their network, that’s just as important — sometimes more important — than any financial contribution. Neville would add to what already is a pretty influential network at the club. We value them.

Elias added: “We are trying to broker a deal with the great Neville Crichton. We may have another car baron in rugby league. He is a rugby union fanatic but we want to woo him to rugby league. He and I have been friends forever. Justin and I have been working overtime to make this happen.”

In Australia, Crichton distributes Maserati while remodelling Ram Trucks into right-hand drive for sale in New Zealand and Australia. In 2017,

Crichton used Tigers legend Steve Roach to advertise his company during the mid-1980s.

“I’d be over-the-moon if he helped Wests Tigers. It’s about time the club started using Benny’s contacts. Who Benny doesn’t know, isn’t worth knowing,” Roach said.

In 2012, Crichton was awarded a Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit for services to yachting and business.

axl rose

Bench
Backdoor Benny is a rent a quote for the off season.

What has Harry Triguboff done for the club recently? (not saying he has any obligation to) but you'd think he'd be the one they'd want back in the fold.

Tiger05

First Grade
We aren't in any financial trouble, its just our recruitment and retention is dogshit and we have no set homeground.

The home ground probably doesn't even matter. I suppose our recruitment and retention is also dogshit because we don't have dodgy under the table support as well.

Perth Tiger

Bench
On top of what everyone has said, the guy is already 74! If by some miracle we pull of some sort of deal (not even clear what it is, being a sponsor?) with this guy he will probably keel over the next day anyway

Hoofhearted

Juniors
So the dude doesn’t even follow us or rugby league, and is going to start chucking at money at us?

This smells like another ‘we thought we had him’
Looks like you were spot on the money
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/0ab010c72b872b53ee75daba187e8429

Wests Tigers fail in bid to lure $400m car baron Neville Crichton

“We were approached a number of weeks ago by a representative of Wests Tigers regarding an opportunity,” Crichton told The Daily Telegraph.

“We looked at the opportunity and decided not to pursue it — a decision we then communicated to the club.

“For clarity, their approach did not concern our Maserati brand,” Crichton said.

“I wish the club all the best in their future sporting and sponsorship endeavours.”

Vic Mackey

Referee
Looks like you were spot on the money

Wests Tigers fail in bid to lure $400m car baron Neville Crichton

“We were approached a number of weeks ago by a representative of Wests Tigers regarding an opportunity,” Crichton told The Daily Telegraph.

“We looked at the opportunity and decided not to pursue it — a decision we then communicated to the club.

“For clarity, their approach did not concern our Maserati brand,” Crichton said.

“I wish the club all the best in their future sporting and sponsorship endeavours.”

I’ve generally defended Pascoe, but complete and utter amateur hour this was. Literally bragging to the media about getting a millionaire on board before a deal was done. It was only going to go one way after that. Get rid of this clown

Hoofhearted

Juniors
I’ve generally defended Pascoe, but complete and utter amateur hour this was. Literally bragging to the media about getting a millionaire on board before a deal was done. It was only going to go one way after that. Get rid of this clown
The only saving grace I'll give Pascoe on this one is that it has a Benny smell about it. It wouldnt surprise me at all if it was Benny that spoke to the media and Pascoe was forced to answer questions when approached once the cat was out of the bag.

gordsy

Juniors
E
So the dude doesn’t even follow us or rugby league, and is going to start chucking at money at us?

This smells like another ‘we thought we had him’
Exactly, this is like that guy who thinks that because a girl smiles at him she wants to f**k him

Plus Elias is involved. Hard pass on that alone.

I'm more than OK with this going ahead. Anyone aligned with that Judas merkin Elias should be avoided like a plague.

Latest posts