What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England take over the Lions brand

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
The England rugby league team are currently ‘the Wall or White’ (according to Wikipedia) and haven’t been able to nail down a good jersey for years.

Why can’t England become the Lions and keep the White jersey with the blue and red V? This give them a marketable name like the Kangaroos/Kiwis and a great jersey.

Surely Wales, Scotland and Ireland wouldn’t care. They would probably be happy to see the end of Great Britain

Springs09

Juniors
Well they can't have the jersey with the blue because England's colours are red and white. They've also had several good jerseys. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the blue of Great Britain represent Scotland?

Don't know why they can't also be the Lions though. The Lion is the national animal of England.

geordie_saint

Juniors
Well they can't have the jersey with the blue because England's colours are red and white. They've also had several good jerseys. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the blue of Great Britain represent Scotland?

Yes it does. England's colours are red and white as per the flag.

jim_57

Staff member
Yes it does. England's colours are red and white as per the flag.

Does it though or is it just a co-incidence that those are the Union Jack colours? The blue is a different shade to Scotland's and they didn't add a touch of Green when they were GB&Ireland.

Springs09

Juniors
Does it though or is it just a co-incidence that those are the Union Jack colours? The blue is a different shade to Scotland's and they didn't add a touch of Green when they were GB&Ireland.

It's not a coincidence. The blue in the Union Jack comes from Scotland's St Andrew's Cross. The Cross of St Patrick is red and white itself so Ireland is represented without green, but saying England should steal GB's blue is like if GB did have green on the jersey and saying England should steal the green as well giving England colours of red, white, blue and green.

If it's England it should be red and white.

jim_57

Staff member
It's not a coincidence. The blue in the Union Jack comes from Scotland's St Andrew's Cross. The Cross of St Patrick is red and white itself so Ireland is represented without green, but saying England should steal GB's blue is like if GB did have green on the jersey and saying England should steal the green as well giving England colours of red, white, blue and green.

If it's England it should be red and white.

Fair enough, makes sense.

Like someone else mentioned cricket uses blue, football uses blue & union uses hardly any red. So whilst Red & White are the flag colours they are hardly directly linked to England's sporting colours.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Don't know why they can't also be the Lions though. The Lion is the national animal of England.

TBF, the Aussie flag aint Green-Gold and the Kiwi flag aint Black-White...

Plently of nations where jumpers that dont match the flag. I think they should be thinking about what branding is best for the organisation, not which branding is not accurate.

If the Lions brand is more valuable, then use it. F*ck the nitpickers.....

The first WC i watched was in 1982, i also bought the England team's WC song on a 7" record. Anyway, they had blue on their jersey, as you can see in this photo, I've always thought why don't England wear what the current GB jersey looks like now. There's a shocking lack of red on the GB kit, i won't support GB, plus Morgan Knowles and R Grace not being selected too..........flip!

https://www.scoredraw.com/international/england/310_england-1982-world-cup-finals-shirt.html

yakstorm

First Grade
they didn't add a touch of Green when they were GB&Ireland.

They actually did back in 1999.... There is a green strip on the collar, on the side of the shorts, and whilst it isn't easy to see on this picture, the top of the socks were also green...

nov-1999-stuart-fielden-of-the-great-britain-lions-in-action-during-a-picture-id1015658

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I have actually followed the St Helens boys tour, beat South's in the latest game. What a tour for the young blokes. Good for them.

Springs09

Juniors
When in the RLWC 4 year cycle are Lions tours proposed?

Whenever they feel like it pretty much.

They need to make tours have a feeling of exclusivity. Konrad Hurrell talked about how good it was to play the Lions when they only tour every 10 years - he was wrong but we should have that kind of feeling about it.

You'd want every Lions and Kangaroo Tour to have an Ashes series, as they were always the centre of the old tours. But we don't want Ashes series to dominate the calendar.
Have one Ashes series in each 4-year cycle, alternating tours. Which means a proper Kangaroo Tour and a proper Lions Tour would be once every 8 years each. That gives it a feeling of prestige and achievement, with only the best players ever getting selected for 2 tours and pretty much no one being selected for 3.

Ex:
Year 1
- Euro Cup w/England
- Trans-Tasman Test Series
- Pacific Cup
Year 2
- World 9s
- 8-Team IRL Tournament
Year 3
- Lions Tour/Ashes
- Pacific Cup w/NZ
- Euro Cup
Year 4
- World Cup
Year 5
- Euro Cup w/England
- Kiwi Tour
- Pacific Cup
Year 6
- World 9s
- 8-Team IRL Tournament
Year 7
- Kangaroo Tour/Ashes Series
- Pacific Cup w/NZ
- Euro Cup
Year 8
- World Cup

Springs09

Juniors
TBF, the Aussie flag aint Green-Gold and the Kiwi flag aint Black-White...

Plently of nations where jumpers that dont match the flag. I think they should be thinking about what branding is best for the organisation, not which branding is not accurate.

If the Lions brand is more valuable, then use it. F*ck the nitpickers.....

Not talking about the flag, talking about colours. England has always been red and white, not red, white and blue.

Can't stand when England's cricket team has blue shirts just like I can't stand when Australia uses black shirts.

Latest posts