What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess retires

Latrell, Frizzell, Fifita, Arrow...

I'm loving all this speculation.

The meltdown if we get them all will be saltier than a jolly good "six again" call.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
20228214-7617521-Celebrations_Sam_donned_a_brown_hat_and_a_tribal_inspired_neckla-a-1_1572158336214.jpg

His shoulder looked alright 3 days ago?
much easier carrying that bird rather then carrying the whole South Sydney organisation for the past few years

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Latrell, Frizzell, Fifita, Arrow...

I'm loving all this speculation.

The meltdown if we get them all will be saltier than a jolly good "six again" call.

You still wouldn't win with them being coached by the living corpse. Also take into account Cameron Murray's possible departure given the above.

Valheru

Coach
Even if you did, youd just give them the SKD/Nikorima treatment. The Roosters know 'retiring' players is for Amatuers, you might still have to foot some of the bill. Get them caught with coke on them and you're out of it scott free.

Remember when SKD was accused of repeated incidences of domestic violence where even the premier of the day demanded he be fired?

There was no better chance to get rid of him then but the club stuck by him through extreme media pressure ebcause they believed in his innocence that would soon be proven.

Ironically, he would be stood down under the current 'no fault' policy.

nick87

Coach
Sam is the ultimate competitor... Anyone who thinks he would just pull the pin for money has rocks in their head or just doesn't know Sam... The bloke played an entire grand final with a broken jaw ffs.

If there was a way for him to play on and still be at his best, I am 100% certain he would take it but sadly, it looks like that is not the case.

Sad day for Sam and a sad day for the game.

That's not what people have an issue with. I dont for one second doubt if Sam could play, he would. But the Rabbitohs shouldnt be bailed out of their cap for this, it opens up the floodgates for substantial abuse... the only reason Darius Boyd is still playing is because he wants the money is is rightfully owed on his contract

You can sure as shit bet if the Broncos have the chance to, they'd gladly pay him a medical retirement and clear that money off their cap... and as per my previous post, if thats where things are going, clubs will be negligent in their pursuit for a premiership, not adding years to stars in their late 20s, in order to lower the cap hit and circumvent the cap, knowing the players will get the balloon payment once they are medically retired, they wont lose a cent and the club can use the cap space to add to their roster.

Pommy

Coach
Clearly as a Souths fan people are going to discount my opinion as not valid, but the NRL really needs to look at the rules for this situation. This should have happen after GIs situation but in classic NRL form they didn’t.
In 2019 forcing players to carry on busted isn’t a viable option and will ultimately end up with a player killing themselves in my opinion.

That's not what people have an issue with. I dont for one second doubt if Sam could play, he would. But the Rabbitohs shouldnt be bailed out of their cap for this, it opens up the floodgates for substantial abuse... the only reason Darius Boyd is still playing is because he wants the money is is rightfully owed on his contract

You can sure as shit bet if the Broncos have the chance to, they'd gladly pay him a medical retirement and clear that money off their cap... and as per my previous post, if thats where things are going, clubs will be negligent in their pursuit for a premiership, not adding years to stars in their late 20s, in order to lower the cap hit and circumvent the cap, knowing the players will get the balloon payment once they are medically retired, they wont lose a cent and the club can use the cap space to add to their roster.

But Boyd doesn't have a career ending injury...

siv

First Grade
Clearly as a Souths fan people are going to discount my opinion as not valid, but the NRL really needs to look at the rules for this situation. This should have happen after GIs situation but in classic NRL form they didn’t.
In 2019 forcing players to carry on busted isn’t a viable option and will ultimately end up with a player killing themselves in my opinion.

You can put a lot if this down to RLPA having to sign players a year in advance

And situations like the NRL-RLPA saying you must announce 24 of you 30 man squads by Nov 1 and 29 of 30 by Mar 1

It's U12s 1s and 2s logic

And doesn't allow for issues like this or no fault stand downs or quality juniors coming through

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
The reason Sam is being retired is because Bennett saw the $1M+ a season he is being paid and told the club that he is a waste of money and they need to get rid of him, as he wants to spend the money on Fafita. The club realised that no one would pick up his $1m a year contract due to his poor on field and off field 'performances' and being injury prone.

So they concocted the story to medically retire him but pay Sam the money so that he wouldn't kick up a stink. Sam gets his millions to sit on his arse and chat away on FaceTime, Souths get the cap money to sign Fafita and god knows who else. Greenberg loves it as he wants certain clubs in the 8 each year and will do what he can to ensure it, eg; Souths and the Bronco's.

you’re taking the piss are you not?