What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1908 - The First match.

tri_colours

Juniors
The 1st NSWRL competition game.
Easts v Newtown was the first game to kick off that day.

Bonus points if you can tell me the name if the horse that won the Sydney Cup that day.

siv

First Grade
The 1st NSWRL competition game.
Easts v Newtown was the first game to kick off that day.

Bonus points if you can tell me the name if the horse that won the Sydney Cup that day.

My understanding is that Souths & Norths played at the same time over at Birchgrove Oval

Willow

Assistant Moderator
My understanding is that Souths & Norths played at the same time over at Birchgrove Oval
You might be right about that. I recall reading the same thing some years ago.

But Birchgrove Oval, I doubt they had a grand stand in 1908.

tri_colours

Juniors
The Wentworth Park game had a grandstand , and you had to pay extra to sit in it.

Birchgrove oval either didn't have a grandstand (which appears more likely) or you didn't have to pay to sit in it.

tri_colours

Juniors
The book was the one where he mentioned how much extra it cost for seat in the grand stand..

Admission price, at both grounds was 6pence.

siv

First Grade
You might be right about that. I recall reading the same thing some years ago.

But Birchgrove Oval, I doubt they had a grand stand in 1908.

In the famous 1910 photo yes it did

news_19100430.jpg

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Wentworth Park 20 years later

news_19280421_2.jpg
Have they turned the pitch around since the 1910 photo?

If that's the same direction of the oval today, the players would be running east to west, meaning one team would have the sun in their eyes in the second half. Also looks to be barely 100 yards long. Plus the spectators in the grandstand, as well as those in the northern and southern ends are a long way from the action.

siv

First Grade
Have they turned the pitch around since the 1910 photo?

If that's the same direction of the oval today, the players would be running east to west, meaning one team would have the sun in their eyes in the second half. Also looks to be barely 100 yards long. Plus the spectators in the grandstand, as well as those in the northern and southern ends are a long way from the action.

Many grounds ran E-W back then

Even the old Sports Ground