What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England take over the Lions brand

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well Lions are red white and blue.

When I think Lions, I think Liverpool

nomadic-camp-male-lions.jpg

Serengeti, near Manchester

jim_57

Staff member
Not talking about the flag, talking about colours. England has always been red and white, not red, white and blue.

Can't stand when England's cricket team has blue shirts just like I can't stand when Australia uses black shirts.

Rugby League's England? Yeh. But there is plenty of history of teams having blue as well see football and cricket. Red & White is hardly England Sport's only 2 set colours.

For the recors I agree they should stick with Red & White and bring the GB Lions out once every 1 or 2 world cup cycles making it more of a 'once in a career' type oppurtunity.

Springs09

Juniors
Rugby League's England? Yeh. But there is plenty of history of teams having blue as well see football and cricket. Red & White is hardly England Sport's only 2 set colours.

For the recors I agree they should stick with Red & White and bring the GB Lions out once every 1 or 2 world cup cycles making it more of a 'once in a career' type oppurtunity.

I agree. Only bring GB out for a tour every 8 years and possibly when they host the Ashes against Australia.

siv

First Grade
If the Lions tour is to remain

Then I would play it in Aus winter immediately AFTER a RLWC

E.g. if RLWC is 2021

Then Lions tour in 2022 playing a grand slam during SOO period

PNG Samoa Fiji Tonga NZ

And a Australia test on a Tuesday night after SOOIII

Springs09

Juniors
If the Lions tour is to remain

Then I would play it in Aus winter immediately AFTER a RLWC

E.g. if RLWC is 2021

Then Lions tour in 2022 playing a grand slam during SOO period

PNG Samoa Fiji Tonga NZ

And a Australia test on a Tuesday night after SOOIII

Sorry but no thanks, that doesn't sound great not to mention unfeasible.

roughyedspud

Coach
Immediately after a RLWC is the correct time to go on a GB tour...

But not this "grand slam during origin" nonsense

roughyedspud

Coach
What would you like to see ?

if we are to persist with this GB bullshit then tour the year after a world cup..

Australia tour - 3 tests v Australia & tests v Fiji & PNG

New Zealand tour - 3 tests v NZ and tests v Tonga & Samoa..

The reason for having the tours the year after the world cup is so that the separate nations are together and in the spotlight for 3 years before the world cup..

Storm13

Juniors
I like how the GB social media only post highlights of past England performances. Northern hemisphere rugby league is a joke.

Dakink

Bench
if we are to persist with this GB bullshit then tour the year after a world cup..

The reason for having the tours the year after the world cup is so that the separate nations are together and in the spotlight for 3 years before the world cup..

My thoughts exactly. If they insist on using the GB team, it should be the year straight after a WC. Individual nations leading up. GB tour straight after. Allows the home nations yo build into the cup and then presents the novelty and tradition after the WC when people would be most receptive and the UK players are still fresh in people's minds.

siv

First Grade

That's 10 matches

When would it occur in the calendar?

adamkungl

Immortal
My thoughts exactly. If they insist on using the GB team, it should be the year straight after a WC. Individual nations leading up. GB tour straight after. Allows the home nations yo build into the cup and then presents the novelty and tradition after the WC when people would be most receptive and the UK players are still fresh in people's minds.

I see what you mean.
There's a lot of value in it not clashing with individual nations Qualifiers though. If the calendar was filled out for t2 nations properly in years 1 and 2, and those games were given professional treatment so they get good exposure,
it would be good to do the GB tour in year 3.

This time round we should have had:

Year 1 -
(likely) Qualifiers for Wales, Ireland, Scotland.
NZ tour to UK
Australia 1 game in London vs England

Year 2 -
International Cup - Aus NZ England Tonga
International Shield - Fiji Samoa PNG Lebanon
International Bowl - France Wales Jamaica
Second round qualifiers for Ireland, Scotland

Year 3 -
GB Tour 3 games v NZ, 1 game v Aus, 1 game v Tonga

siv

First Grade
At the end of the season like normal

I see two rep windows in a calender season

During SOO period

And last 6 weeks of Oct-Nov

I prefer two standalone rep fornights in season. Last 2 weekend's May. First 2 weekend's July.

Latest posts