What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Yes indeed you are in a mood.
I won't reiterate my position as you will neither understand it nor accept that it is my position and you will pose yet another question based on false assumptions.
As to what I am up to, well I was trying to get someone to understand something but I have decided that banging my head up against a brick wall comes second to picking up the dog droppings in the back yard.
I see...

Well, let’s put it another way.. How would you line up the chess pieces for round 1 next year?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
You might be right. I suspect Sailor will be there somewhere. At 80kg though, he'll get man-handled by opponents if they throw him on the wing.

If Saints hope to retain Sailor, a spot will need to be found. He’s got too much established competition ahead of him in the halves, and (as you’ve pointed out), he’s too small for an NRL fullback. Perhaps the centres, but he might be a defensive liability there....so wing it is.

Postscript: Me...right about something? That would be a first.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
You might be right. I suspect Sailor will be there somewhere. At 80kg though, he'll get man-handled by opponents if they throw him on the wing.

If Saints hope to retain Sailor, a spot will need to be found. He’s got too much established competition ahead of him in the halves, and (as you’ve pointed out), he’s too small for an NRL fullback. Perhaps the centres, but he might be a defensive liability there....so wing it is.

Postscript: Me...right about something? That would be a first.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
From our website under "team", thrse look like the players moving into 2020:

Backs:
Hunt, Norman, Aitken, Saab, Pearson, Periera, Dufty, Ravalawa, Lafai, Sailor and Lomax

Forwards:
Lawrie, McInnes, Blacker, H. Lomax, JDB, Ford, Host, Graham, Lovodua, Kerr, K. Sims, Leilua, Vaughan, T. Sims and Frizell.

https://www.dragons.com.au/teams/

qld redvee

Juniors

Backs:
Hunt, Norman, Aitken, Saab, Pearson, Periera, Dufty, Ravalawa, Lafai, Sailor and Lomax

Forwards:
Lawrie, McInnes, Blacker, H. Lomax, JDB, Ford, Host, Graham, Lovodua, Kerr, K. Sims, Leilua, Vaughan, T. Sims and Frizell.

DS
that list of 26 doesnt instill me with any confidence . If all these are top 30 and not development then I hope that Flanno has input on the last 4 positions and gets some backs ( centres fullback ) or we will be stuck with lafai and aitken . Sailor looks like only back up half Blacker is too young to do first grade so should only be a Timm replacement . Lovodua possibly back up for mcinness ? so no luke ? ( can we sign luke at number 27? ) george or similar have you guys got any information re these players ? At least we have SOME info from the club ..................

Dragonslayer

First Grade
DS
that list of 26 doesnt instill me with any confidence . If all these are top 30 and not development then I hope that Flanno has input on the last 4 positions and gets some backs ( centres fullback ) or we will be stuck with lafai and aitken . Sailor looks like only back up half Blacker is too young to do first grade so should only be a Timm replacement . Lovodua possibly back up for mcinness ? so no luke ? ( can we sign luke at number 27? ) george or similar have you guys got any information re these players ? At least we have SOME info from the club ..................

The issue here for me is that we have to state our top 24 players today.
We gave 26 according to the player team list. Some of these like H. Lomax and maybe Blacker and even Lovodua would still be in the DS. If so, and lets say they are, we have 23. My guess is the signing of Luke is immenent. That would complete the 24. We then have 2 spots to fill in the higher catagory salary cap before players 27-30 who are restricted to 90k. I think maybe thus is where the likes of Lovodua may get a top 30 jersey.

Tbh, the make-up of the DS is more of an interest to me. We already know young Sullivan will be one but there are some very good juniors we should get on this list.

BLM01

First Grade
DS
Well it is the Dragons media way of telling you who they quietly punted who were in their Top 30 and who has been added. Work it out for ourselves!!!! :mad:
Maranta, Timm, Kaufusi, Allgood, Robson, Latimore, Widdop gone from last year's 30..have I missed any?
Replaced by Lovudua, Blacker & H Lomax (are these still development?)
4 people to replace and maybe 5 in regards to JDB
You have Zac as a centre who will play there in 2020
And according to this Mary is going alone as a coach with no assistants ;)...thats the review said and done
"I can coach...dont need no help!'...
"Our past is not our future"..."I am the future' "the other assistants and dimwits are the past"
"Flanno is just going to be my boy..making coffee, getting my beers for lunch" etc

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Well it is the Dragons media way of telling you who they quietly punted who were in their Top 30 and who has been added
Maranta, Timm, Kaufusi, Allgood, Robson, Latimore, Widdop gone from last year's 30..have I missed any?
Replaced by Lovudua, Blacker & H Lomax (are these still development?)
4 people to replace and maybe 5 in regards to JDB
You have Zac as a centre who will play there in 2020
And Mary is going alone as a coach with no assistants ;)...that will improve us...not

Field and Nichols

It also indicates that both Sailor and Kerr have re-signed

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Geez we’re a bit light on for halves in the top 30..

Wouldn’t want Hunt or Norman to cop an injury..

And Origin time could be awkward..

Leilua to halfback?

BLM01

First Grade
Field and Nichols

It also indicates that both Sailor and Kerr have re-signed
Forgot those 2...so Sailor was not in the Top 30?..then Sailor, Lovodua, H Lomax, Blacker, Saab are 5 replacements that have replaced 9 departing. Field, Nicholls, Timm, Maranta, Kaufusi, Allgood, Robson, Latimore, Widdop
Except for Timm I am happy with that. Widdop...nothing we could do about that
Development I hope Sullivan, SSE, Feagai Bros, (Bazzaz, Schiller - no... too early for these 2)

I am sure there is another big prop from Flegg that is skittling them and worth a call up to development
George Dragon might know who I am talking about

BLM01

First Grade

Leilua to halfback?
Hunt wont get injured he will be rested from Rounds 1-25 as will be mentally tired according to Mary until the semis
Dont worry we will sign Freddy, Daley, Johns & Barrett for back up (all Mary's trusted mates)

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Forgot those 2...so Sailor was not in the Top 30?..then Sailor, Lovodua, H Lomax, Blacker, Saab are 5 replacements that have replaced 9 departing. Field, Nicholls, Timm, Maranta, Kaufusi, Allgood, Robson, Latimore, Widdop
Except for Timm I am happy with that. Widdop...nothing we could do about that
Development I hope Sullivan, SSE, Feagai Bros, (Bazzaz, Schiller - no... too early for these 2)

I am sure there is another big prop from Flegg that is skittling them and worth a call up to development
George Dragon might know who I am talking about

I think Sailor was in that restricted band 27-30 he may have been upgraded now to top 26

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Leilua to halfback?

Mmmm lets see, Sailor to the halves, or maybe Dufty. I was hopung they'd sign Clune as the back up, however, I think your suggestion has merits

#leiluatothehalves

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Actually what am I saying?

You don’t need a half when your game plan is just 5 one out hit ups finished with a kick..

We could have an 8 man forward pack...

Mary, you beautiful bald genius!

BLM01

First Grade
Geez Mary......your Maranta experiment having loads of NRL experience was a bit of a fizzer
You thought it was one of these out of the box signings from the clouds that would turn out to be 2019 buy of the year just like Canberra did with CCK.
You got the out of the box signing from the cloud bit right...:D

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
A little bit of positive news it seems....12 months of waiting though.
Red V’s spending spree: Dragons set for $4m roster overhaul to launch premiership assault
NRL PREMIERSHIP

james_hooper.jpg

c7bfd3bba589921c11a06b93428cfccf

The Dragons are set for a major roster overhaulSource: AAP
The cashed-up St George Illawarra Dragons have stockpiled a $4 million war chest for 2021 as the Red V look to sharpen their roster for a premiership assault.
The Dragons have 12 players in their top squad off-contract at the end of next season headed by representative stars Tyson Frizell, Jack de Belin and James Graham.

Young guns Luciano Leilua, Jackson Ford and Zac Lomax also form a part of the Red V’s roster jigsaw, with other off-contract players including Euan Aitken, Jacob Host, Tim Lafai, Josh Kerr, Jonus Pearson and Mikaele Ravalawa.

As evidenced by the Parramatta Eels’ resurgence from a wooden spoon last year to the second week of September this season, having almost half of your top 30 roster off-contract can often work in favour of clubs.

St George Illawarra have not been active in the open market since landing the signatures of halfback Ben Hunt and English international Graham at the end of 2017.

But with so many big-name players off-contract, the club will be in a position to make some smart roster management decisions.

A host of big-name players will all be able to sign with rival clubs as of November 1 for the 2021 season.

The Dragons are monitoring the situation of Wests Tigers star Ryan Matterson, who is expected to make a call to sign with Parramatta later this week.

No question the Dragons need a big summer and a fast start to next season after finishing 15th this year.

Coach Paul McGregor finished last season under increasing pressure but will welcome some new assistants in Shane Flanagan and Jamie Shepherd.

Club favourite Dean Young will still form a key part of McGregor’s coaching assistants but Ben Hornby and Matt Head have moved on.

Flanagan will not be allowed to start his role until December 18 with the NRL insisting he complete a 12-month suspension.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Backs:

Forwards:

It's rather intriguing really, our top 24 has to be submitted to the NRL today.
Out of those listed, I think:

H. Lomax and Blacker will remain in the DS.
Saab and Lovodua will join the top 30, but in the 27-30 group not in the top 24.

That leaves us 22, so in reality it would mean we have signed 2 players who are yet to be announced, I guessing Isaac Luke is one, but the other?

Latest posts