What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Gillett

Bronco18

Juniors
Great clubman - he changed his game for the betterment of the team.

Burst onto the scene as a Bruce Cartwright like skillful backrower, but evolved into an 80 minute cover defending maniac who made the difference with pure effort plays. The fact that he played a number of rounds last year with a broken neck says a lot about his pain threshold. Will be missed.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
It's sad news, ever since he broke his neck it's only been a matter of time before Gillett called time, but it's still sad to see the decision taken away from him. At his best, Gillett was the best edge forward in the game. His technique in combination with his unorthodox running style made him a nightmare for opposition sides and he was able to scale the heights that every player dreams of.

It's been a pleasure and I'd like to think a lot of opposition fans admired his style of play, particularly in his early days.

Spot On

Coach
Farkin' good player when he was at his peak. Hate QLDers but loved watching this bloke play.

Deserved his spot in the rep teams he played in.

Huge loss for the Broncs.

blaza88z

Coach
Terrible news, wish him nothing but the best, fantastic player and one of the few who represented the game in admirable fashion.

Hopefully the game looks after him going forward.

DeeJ

Bench
A real shame he didn't get to go out his own way. I thought he was the most obvious choice for captain next year and it would've been well deserved.

I will miss watching him play alot. I can remember his whole career, when he burst on the scene he was like another SBW with his offloading and impact running. Then he evolved into a big hitter - I can remember a game vs Souths a few years when he was continuously rushing out of the line and nailing anyone he aimed up.

Finally in his last seasons he was an outstanding one on one defender who would also take the hardest hit ups. There were glimpses of his attacking game coming back during this season but I guess we won't get to see that evolve.

I hope he is still involved with the club.

Latest posts