What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

getsmarty

Immortal
Breaking

Wests Tigers cashed up after Matterson released and Matulino medically retired
Author
Michael Chammas Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 31 Oct 2019, 05:03 PM
chammas-michael-head.png

Wests Tigers are set to raid the player market after releasing Ryan Matterson and being granted permission by the NRL to have retiring prop Ben Matulino’s contract declared exempt from the salary cap.

The Tigers will have more than $1.5 million to spend next season, and more than $5 million in 2021 after a number of key movements over the past few weeks.

Former Kiwi international Ben Matulino has been forced into retirement after 248 NRL games following a knee injury, clearing almost $800,000 in the salary cap for next season.

The release of Matterson, who has been offered a three-year deal at the Eels worth around $500,000 a season, also frees up another $400,000 of space.

It comes after the recent departure of centre Esan Marsters to the North Queensland Cowboys.

Five key match-ups of the Wests Tigers' 2020 draw

The Tigers have been active in the market place and have identified the likes of Gold Coast’s Jai Arrow and AJ Brimson, as well as St George Illawarra’s Zac Lomax, as key signings for 2021.

The Tigers confirmed Matterson’s release and Matulino’s medical retirement on Thursday afternoon.

Wests Tigers in 2020
Where will they finish in the Telstra Premiership?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/31...rson-released-and-matulino-medically-retired/

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Why the hell are teams doing all this focus for 2021?

Surely we all know what will happen..

Players sign elsewhere for 2021, then during the off-season they “mutually agree” to a release with their current club..

Only a small number of those who sign for 2021 will stay with their current club next year..

It’s a joke..

BLM01

First Grade
Why the hell are teams doing all this focus for 2021?

Surely we all know what will happen..

Players sign elsewhere for 2021, then during the off-season they “mutually agree” to a release with their current club..

Only a small number of those who sign for 2021 will stay with their current club next year..

It’s a joke..
Yeh and all thse war chests are great
but you got to have something decent and available to spend it on outside upgrading your own

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
It’s more of a jerk flotation device than it is a ship..
Jerk ..jetski...Mary....that fits.
Sorry Muz no can agree with your fine tooth rationale
It can also transport people from place to place over water
I am not going to desert the sinking ship jerk flotation device jetski owned and operated by Captain Mary.to spend 1 year listening and watching you split hairs floating around the world
I have my rubber dinghy with me so when Mary goes down every man for himself

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Jerk ..jetski...Mary....that fits.
Sorry Muz no can agree with your fine tooth rationale
It can also transport people from place to place over water
I am not going to desert the sinking ship jerk flotation device jetski owned and operated by Captain Mary.to spend 1 year listening and watching you split hairs floating around the world
I have my rubber dinghy with me so when Mary goes down every man for himself
Didn’t say we’d be gone for a year.. I’d like to be back for the spring racing carnival..

Maybe depart the night before charity shield?

BLM01

First Grade
Didn’t say we’d be gone for a year.. I’d like to be back for the spring racing carnival..

Maybe depart the night before charity shield?
Ok you head out Feb 28..I'll send you a message in a bottle

TruSaint

Referee
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Shepherd_(rugby_league)

Haven't heard of him, but he's got some good experience behind him.

Not judging him Gip, just saying that once again, the Club leak info to journo's without even announcing his support role to the fans. He may well be a good appointment.

Last I checked he wasn't under any ban by the NRL like Flanno, so why not announce it on our site?

Excellent article that instils faith in next year, suggesting a ton of players leaving, BUT we have " wheels in motion" for the year after.

That should invoke enthusiasm into their membership drive.