What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

Pomoz

Bench
Sorry Pomoz, I may have typed my post a little emphatically... but it does irritate me. Even your assertion that he is selfish is speculating. Although, now thinking about it, me saying he isn’t is as well... My point is he was offered a job, and given there were incentives (probably financially and personally), he took it. I honestly don’t think he thought it’d be a detriment to anybody, especially the club. Would you turn down an opportunity for a better financial position, as well as the opportunity to work with a beloved family member? I wouldn’t.
Yes. Business and family shouldn't be mixed. I would also want the best for my son and know that isn't me coaching him. Maguire, Stuart, Robinson, Bellamy, Bennett and Hasler are all better coaches than him. I would want my son coached by somebody good.

Again, I don't think he thought it would be a detriment because he never even considered the impact it would have and hence my view it is selfish.If he did think of the impact, how could he possibly conclude it is the right thing to do?

If Burton and Luai are our best halves combination, were does that leave him with his son? What will the rest of the team think if he sides with his son? How will he feel if he has to sack his son? What does he do if Nathan has an off field incident? How can he be impartial? It is just untenable and why most companies prohibit family members working together.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Yes. Business and family shouldn't be mixed. I would also want the best for my son and know that isn't me coaching him. Maguire, Stuart, Robinson, Bellamy, Bennett and Hasler are all better coaches than him. I would want my son coached by somebody good.

Again, I don't think he thought it would be a detriment because he never even considered the impact it would have and hence my view it is selfish.If he did think of the impact, how could he possibly conclude it is the right thing to do?

If Burton and Luai are our best halves combination, were does that leave him with his son? What will the rest of the team think if he sides with his son? How will he feel if he has to sack his son? What does he do if Nathan has an off field incident? How can he be impartial? It is just untenable and why most companies prohibit family members working together.

You raise some very good points.

Let's hope and pray it work out like the previous father son coaching team did.

martielang

Bench
Cleary v Griffin. The battle of the mediocre coaches.

Ivan wins by a hair because he made a grand final. Unfortunately that was years ago and the game is very different now. He needs a bumper year like Ricky Stuart 2019.

Don’t ever become a judge.

Pomoz

Bench
The last coach we had that wanted to also coach his son won us a premiership. What selfish egotistical bastard he was too.
That is a good point you raise and nobody would suggest Lang was egotistical. Martin was already signed to the club and his father was signed later. He had also been coaching him at Cronulla so there was already proof that it could work ok with those two. That said, it shouldn't have happened and as luck would have it, it turned out OK. Probably because of their humble, down to earth personalities.

Martin was also not the star player (sorry Martie, you were pretty good though!) and chief playmaker, but one of a four prop rotation. He wasn't on the highest salary in the club and was 26 years of age, not a player still developing. That makes a hell of a difference. The spine is everything in a successful team.

That said, since you give such a good example, if Ivan is able to deliver a premiership I will happily admit I was wrong.

MugaB

Coach

Put into hooker, as api's apprentice, and peter wallace assisting.
He would easily be the next cam smith
If he learnt playing out of hooker, his defence would suit our fwds, win win api would come off the bench

franklin2323

Immortal
This whole "Cleary just wanted to coach his son and he doesn't care if he tears our club apart to do so" is SOOOOOO f**king boring...

Hot tip guys, you're speculating. You have absolutely NO IDEA what Ivans motives are. You don't like him as a coach, and that's fine, but can you please stop saying he is purposely hurting this team just to coach his son... It sounds f**king stupid and, for the most part, is making me lose respect for the (normally) good posters on this forum.

Unless you have a sound bite, or a quoted article where he says he will do anything, including tearing an NRL club apart, to coach Nathan, then please stop.

(FWIW, after this season, I don't really rate IC either. But, I am willing to give him a chance at least)

It is clear I don't and haven't rated Ivan but there were more problems then just him. Most are now fixed ( the final roster still to be sorted) so this will see how we go under him

OldPanther

Coach

Looking at how close they are as a family I'd bet they discussed it first.

Panther Mick

Juniors
I was born and raised in Taree supported the mighty mighty Taree Old Bar (the lifesavers) before they went bust in the early 1990's.

A small world at times.
I lived up in Taree and Old Bar in the 80's and 90's. Had a few friends that were nippers in the Surf Life Savers.
I went to school up there with Ben Harris & Paul Stephenson - both played a little NRL.

Panther Mick

Juniors
I'm basically the law on this forum anyway.

3ey86k.jpg

mxlegend99

Referee
Could do much worse than bringing Jenko back for a year or 2
Sadly this is true. Our centre options atm are terrible.

But Jennings would be at long odds to return with Ivan as coach. But he grew up hating Eels and joined them. So anything is possible.

mxlegend99

Referee
Kikau destroying Samoa. Just scored his second try. Has also setup one from an offload. This Samoan pack look incredibly lazy.

The Fijian 7 has a similar face to Kikau too. Thought he was lining upagoal for a moment earlier

OldPanther

Coach
Luai has been average. Needs some time to be in a position for a time. Playing off the bench hurt his game.

mxlegend99

Referee
Luai has been average. Needs some time to be in a position for a time. Playing off the bench hurt his game.
His kicking game is average. But the bigger issue is he is being asked to be the primary kicker IMO.

I think his area should be grubbers or trick shots. He's not the guy you want playing for field position or trying to drop a pinpoint kick on the goal line to smash them in goal.

Edit
Maybe not even grubbers... shocking kick in goal.

Last edited: