What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Lions Tour on sale today + Eden Park schedule confirmed

siv

First Grade
I wonder what lessons they will take out it? The only huge blunder they made was scheduling the same day as the Rugby Union World Cup Final. The Tongan fiasco was out of their control and seems to have had an equally large influence on ticket sales.

Don't run a Lions tour during RLWC qualifiers

Burns

First Grade
We'd have to be on track for 20K+ plus now.

Western Grandstand now open with Bays 334 - 337 on sale as both Green and Bronze seats.

Sections 201 - 206 won't go on sale in the west, Duco is using this area for Players, Officials and their Families, like they did for the Auckland Nines.

Unfortunately it will be the smallest crowd for a Rugby League Test at Eden Park still, with the previous crowds being 35,399 (2012), 44,324 (2010) and 47,368 (1988).
The entire Upper Tier of Western Grandstand is now on sale, Bays 328-337.

The ‘middle’ Bays of Northern stand look pretty much sold out. I think another day of sales at this rate, and a good walk up will help sell most of the Eastern and Western sides.

The ceiling remains around 28,000 for a capacity crowd with the Southern Stand closed however. Due to the nature of a Triple Header, I wonder if we will see the crowd hang round for Tonga v Australia

Hoofhearted

Juniors
The entire Upper Tier of Western Grandstand is now on sale, Bays 328-337.

The ‘middle’ Bays of Northern stand look pretty much sold out. I think another day of sales at this rate, and a good walk up will help sell most of the Eastern and Western sides.

The ceiling remains around 28,000 for a capacity crowd with the Southern Stand closed however. Due to the nature of a Triple Header, I wonder if we will see the crowd hang round for Tonga v Australia
You'd think based on the last couple of years a majority of the crowd will be coming for the Tonga game, Kiwi's haven't pulled a crowd in NZ for a while.

yakstorm

First Grade
I wonder what lessons they will take out it? The only huge blunder they made was scheduling the same day as the Rugby Union World Cup Final. The Tongan fiasco was out of their control and seems to have had an equally large influence on ticket sales.

There's been a few things, naturally that RUWC Final would have put a lot of people off buying until this week as most people would have expected the All Blacks to be in the Final, relying on Tonga and Samoan supporters for large chunks of the supporter base is always risky as they traditionally purchase late. Moving the day of the game would have helped a bit, although they possibly should have been targeting the Tongan and Samoan communities with early bird offers way back when the tournament was first announced.

For me, one thing I've noticed Saturday's 'Triple Header' has lacked is what is the key 'selling point'? Is it the Oceania Cup? Is it seeing New Zealand take on Great Britain? Or is it just to see Tonga playing one of the big 3? It's like they hedged their bets and ultimately turned it into a 'meh' event for all...

The previous games there have had a clear 'headline', which is what you can use to get the more general sports fan to pick up tickets, but instead it's almost like they felt by putting on as many teams as possible, all those fan groups would be compelled to turn up, and not really sold it to anyone else in NZ...

Hoofhearted

Juniors
There's been a few things, naturally that RUWC Final would have put a lot of people off buying until this week as most people would have expected the All Blacks to be in the Final, relying on Tonga and Samoan supporters for large chunks of the supporter base is always risky as they traditionally purchase late. Moving the day of the game would have helped a bit, although they possibly should have been targeting the Tongan and Samoan communities with early bird offers way back when the tournament was first announced.

For me, one thing I've noticed Saturday's 'Triple Header' has lacked is what is the key 'selling point'? Is it the Oceania Cup? Is it seeing New Zealand take on Great Britain? Or is it just to see Tonga playing one of the big 3? It's like they hedged their bets and ultimately turned it into a 'meh' event for all...

The previous games there have had a clear 'headline', which is what you can use to get the more general sports fan to pick up tickets, but instead it's almost like they felt by putting on as many teams as possible, all those fan groups would be compelled to turn up, and not really sold it to anyone else in NZ...
From an Australian perspective I find it very confusing that the home team, a Tier 1 nation, is playing Great Britain and is playing second fiddle to Australia v Tonga, a Tier 2 nation.

Jim from Oz

Juniors

Yep, that's pretty much it.

And it's down to sheer luck – not good RL administration or planning – that the Bore Blacks lost and Tonga won last week, otherwise the crowd would have been utterly embarrassing …

Walter sobchak

First Grade
From an Australian perspective I find it very confusing that the home team, a Tier 1 nation, is playing Great Britain and is playing second fiddle to Australia v Tonga, a Tier 2 nation.
Tonga is a bigger draw in NZ than the kiwis are on home soil. Laughable really but desperately sad.

yakstorm

First Grade
Eastern Grandstand
Lower: 307, 308, 309, 311, 312 - Sold Out. 310 down to Single Seats, 313 selling up the back.
Upper: 303 - Sold Out. 301, 302 - Down to minimal seats

414 and 415 on the corner is now either sold out or down to minimal seats, whilst 314 and 315 are selling up towards the back. 401 - 411 doesn't have many seats left either.

Be interesting what the plan is next, will Duco just leave what is on sale, on sale in the hope of selling that, or will they either open up level 5 on the North or continue to wrap around on the South? Hopefully they do continue to open up bays, as they seem to be selling... would be a shame if they don't open up new areas to keep costs down.

Matua

Bench
Not necessarily, if the Kiwis game was the late one it would have been on the same time as the Rugby World Cup final, which if things had gone to plan the ABs would have been playing in. Playing it in the middle would have meant not clashing.

yakstorm

First Grade
South Stand has been re-opened for the event.. as well Bays 305 and 306 in the East have been re-opened.
Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 10.30.09 am.png

We are now back in running to maybe get 30K+ crowd which would be a pass mark for a Triple Header...

Hoofhearted

Juniors
South Stand has been re-opened for the event.. as well Bays 305 and 306 in the East have been re-opened.
View attachment 33919

We are now back in running to maybe get 30K+ crowd which would be a pass mark for a Triple Header...
Ive seen posts on socials from people who had tickets in 321 originally and were moved to worse seats on the northern side, they might be a bit pissed now.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Not necessarily, if the Kiwis game was the late one it would have been on the same time as the Rugby World Cup final, which if things had gone to plan the ABs would have been playing in. Playing it in the middle would have meant not clashing.
That makes sense

adamkungl

Immortal
A crowd of 30,000 would make this.. kind of a not total failure. I mean it's not good. But it's not the total future-ruining disaster it could have been

milton

Juniors
Looks like more tickets are available on the North side now. Maybe the people who bought tickets in the South side originally have been moved back

Burns

First Grade
O
H

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they are opening and closing the bays like they did in the RLWC to spread the crowd out.
Oh totally, but it seems to have sold somewhat decently. So maybe not a failure? Who knows haha

Latest posts