What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frizell

getsmarty

Immortal
Cook ready to put hard sell on Frizell
  • NRL
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

They're already school mates and Blues buddies but could Tyson Frizell join Damien Cook at Souths?

• If South Sydney target Tyson Frizell as the man to replace Sam Burgess, hooker Damien Cook will have no issue putting the hard sell on with the pair on Kangaroos duty together in New Zealand.

The NRL was rocked on Wednesday when the Rabbitohs confirmed Burgess had been forced to retire due to a chronic shoulder injury.

But the focus now turns to which big-name the club will chase to fill the million-dollar hole left by his departure.

The announcement came just two days before a galaxy of stars enter the final year of their current deals and are allowed to field official offers from rival teams.

Just how much salary cap space Souths will have is yet to be determined, with the NRL investigating the circumstances around Burgess' career-ending injury.

The 30-year-old England international had three more seasons to run on his reported $1million-a-year deal, signed just over 12 months ago.

Brisbane powerhouse David Fifita has already been linked to the club, however it is Frizell who could be at the top of Rabbitohs' wish-list.

The St George Illawarra second-rower has been forced to repeatedly address rumours of his unhappiness in Wollongong over the past year.

Cook knows Frizell well, having gone to school with him on the NSW south coast.

"It's a bit early to be talking about replacing Sam already but the club does, we do have to move on from Sam as well, as much as he's given our club," Cook said.

"Sam's going to stick around as well I'm sure and give us, make a massive impact away from the game as he did on the field."

Frizell was in his first season with St George Illawarra but third year of his career when Cook made his first-grade debut at the Dragons in 2013.

Six years on and the pair are staples in the NSW State of Origin team and the Kangaroos, who face a Tonga invitational team in Auckland on Saturday.

"Talking about Friz personally, obviously he's a great player and I might have to have a good word to him in here (while in camp)," Cook said.

"You'd take him. Any club would take Tyson Frizell.

"If South Sydney end up with him, that'd be great."

Australian Associated Press
https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6467347/cook-ready-to-put-hard-sell-on-frizell/?cs=7486

BLM01

First Grade
Cook ready to put hard sell on Frizell
  • NRL
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

They're already school mates and Blues buddies but could Tyson Frizell join Damien Cook at Souths?

• If South Sydney target Tyson Frizell as the man to replace Sam Burgess, hooker Damien Cook will have no issue putting the hard sell on with the pair on Kangaroos duty together in New Zealand.

The NRL was rocked on Wednesday when the Rabbitohs confirmed Burgess had been forced to retire due to a chronic shoulder injury.

But the focus now turns to which big-name the club will chase to fill the million-dollar hole left by his departure.

The announcement came just two days before a galaxy of stars enter the final year of their current deals and are allowed to field official offers from rival teams.

Just how much salary cap space Souths will have is yet to be determined, with the NRL investigating the circumstances around Burgess' career-ending injury.

The 30-year-old England international had three more seasons to run on his reported $1million-a-year deal, signed just over 12 months ago.

Brisbane powerhouse David Fifita has already been linked to the club, however it is Frizell who could be at the top of Rabbitohs' wish-list.

The St George Illawarra second-rower has been forced to repeatedly address rumours of his unhappiness in Wollongong over the past year.

Cook knows Frizell well, having gone to school with him on the NSW south coast.

"It's a bit early to be talking about replacing Sam already but the club does, we do have to move on from Sam as well, as much as he's given our club," Cook said.

"Sam's going to stick around as well I'm sure and give us, make a massive impact away from the game as he did on the field."

Frizell was in his first season with St George Illawarra but third year of his career when Cook made his first-grade debut at the Dragons in 2013.

Six years on and the pair are staples in the NSW State of Origin team and the Kangaroos, who face a Tonga invitational team in Auckland on Saturday.

"Talking about Friz personally, obviously he's a great player and I might have to have a good word to him in here (while in camp)," Cook said.

"You'd take him. Any club would take Tyson Frizell.

"If South Sydney end up with him, that'd be great."

Australian Associated Press
https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6467347/cook-ready-to-put-hard-sell-on-frizell/?cs=7486
So Sam will still have a job at Souths as Inglis did last year. But Todd insists walked away from $1 miliion salary per annum for 2 years
When will the NRL wake up and close up all their or get rid of their half arsed stupid soft policy loop holes

possm

Coach
So what does SGI do when under attack? Nothing.
Sign Frizell enven if it means pricing some of De Belin's salary into the deal.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yep the very best also to a player that could be counted on giving his all in each match regardless of club , state or country .

Absolute shame that he was driven to the point of moving on , however I do hope that the man finally gets that premiership ring - but not at our expense.

redv13

Bench
Going to be hard watching Frizz run around for someone else bar the big red V but he goes with my blessing. Anyone who literally busts his nut for the jersey and puts up with Mcjerkoff gets my respect for life. Good luck Frizz, true champion on and off the field. Going to be missed for a long time

blacksafake

First Grade
I will always be a fan of the smiling assassin.
He gave :100:% every time he pulled in the Red V. It’s just a pity he was poorly coached in his time at the club.
Would hate to have to tackle him all day as he always seems to want to hurt you when he runs at you.
Good luck Friz,

Crush

Coach
A good solid first grader but very predictable these days. Rarely offloads or breaks tackles.
I too liked Frizz and wish him well at knights but as a Dragons fan I'm not upset that he's leaving us.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Going to be hard watching Frizz run around for someone else bar the big red V but he goes with my blessing. Anyone who literally busts his nut for the jersey and puts up with Mcjerkoff gets my respect for life. Good luck Frizz, true champion on and off the field. Going to be missed for a long time
Yes true gentleman...my wife and I met him at the Blues Origin camp at Kingscliffe a few years back...terrific well spoken young man and was very receptive for a talk and photos...

possm

Coach
Unfortunately Crush predictability came with poor coaching imo
With new management staff, I'm hoping the problems within our club will all be solved. Now want we need is for the fans to gain confidence in the ability of our club to field a competitive team.

In my opinion it is a must to recruit two top line props with mongrel and one edge forward to replace Frizell; like for like or better. The only other essential change is our fullback for 2021. We need a top line fullback who can defend, attack, take a high ball and who can pass the ball. Dufty is not that player but maybe Ramsey could be that player. Of course I would prefer a player like RTS.

getsmarty

Immortal
How a blunt conversation lured Tyson Frizell to Newcastle
By WWOS staff
2 hours ago
NSW Blues star Tyson Frizell has opened up on how a frank conversation with Newcastle coach Adam O'Brien caused him to depart St George Illawarra for a new home in the Hunter.

O'Brien met with Frizell ahead of the 2020 season in a bid to convince the back-rower over a move north after eight seasons with the Red V.

The two discussed the idea of the switch, but it was O'Brien's blunt yet honest concern that Frizell had not been fulfilling his potential as a rugby league player that won the forward over.

"I came away from that meeting with Adam feeling good and it was what got me across the line in the end," Frizell said.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Ffb4f152d-c353-42b8-be7c-179ca3406358

Tyson Frizell (Getty)
"I want to keep developing as a player and he agreed. He told me there is more in me and I can do a lot more.

"He wasn't really telling me how good I was, but I was really happy to hear that from Adam.

"It was nice to get an outside opinion from someone that I haven't had as much to do with."

At 29 with 10 NRL seasons to his name, Frizell is a respected name across the league. But for all his success he is still yet to win a premiership.

The forward said he was at a point in his career where he needed to make a change, and he saw Newcastle as the place to make that happen.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F9dd70414-5bb7-449b-bfbb-aa342395883f

Tyson Frizell, Paul Vaughan, Jack de Belin, Tariq Sims (Getty)
"I'm at a point in my career where I really wanted to stay at the Dragons, but I felt like I needed a change if I wanted to grow as a player," he said.

"Sometimes you can do that at one club, but for me personally, a change out of Sydney is something that I wanted.

"I didn't look too further at other clubs, and I knew Newcastle was the only fit for me if I was to move on from the Dragons.

"I also have to pack up everything and start fresh. I don't really know too many of the boys other than Pearce and Klemmer after playing Origin with them.

"There is still a bit of the unknown about how things are going to go, but it is a new challenge and probably the fresh start that I needed at this time of my career.

"I'm still looking to become better as a player and improve, and I guess change can sometimes bring that."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/tyson-...hts-move/0fa2d59f-dd86-4e4d-a91a-cc03460653ab

hewi

Bench
To sum the article up, a crap coach and a board that had there heads buried in the sand cost us a great player. It’s been said many times on the forum look what Fittler did with him at SOO compared to the peanut.

possm

Coach
To sum the article up, a crap coach and a board that had there heads buried in the sand cost us a great player. It’s been said many times on the forum look what Fittler did with him at SOO compared to the peanut.
Who at the Dragons delivered a counter argument in our favour i.e.
  • New coaching staff0
  • Recruitment of forwards for 2021
  • Young guns coming through to replace our back five
  • Skilled halves coing through
I'd say that we have a better chance of landing in the top 4 than what the Knights have for season 2021/22.

I'm not convinced that Frizell has been candid when it comes to all his reasons for moving on.

Last edited:

Latest posts