What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

axl rose

Bench
mind you... I may like it... I reckon I’m the only human in history that enjoyed Terminator Salvation... :joy::joy:

Another one here. Bale was good, Yelchin was a perfect younger Kyle Reese. Best not to think about all the plot holes though like why Skynet didn't just kill Kyle Reese. Looks good these days compared to the convoluted Genisys.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
Another one here. Bale was good, Yelchin was a perfect younger Kyle Reese. Best not to think about all the plot holes though like why Skynet didn't just kill Kyle Reese. Looks good these days compared to the convoluted Genisys.

f**k yeah... Bale was a badass John Connor...

his well publicised meltdown at the lighting guy showed the prick went pretty method for that role... :joy::joy:

bileduct

Coach
Ohhh f**king serious??

I was looking forward to that film after seeing all the positive reviews coming out... people saying it was the best since T2.

pretty bummed to hear it sucks... especially coming off being bitterly disappointed with Jojo Rabbit.

was hoping it was gonna be good.

mind you... I may like it... I reckon I’m the only human in history that enjoyed Terminator Salvation... :joy::joy:

I was seriously bummed they didn’t keep going with that... :joy::joy:
Well I guess it depends on how you feel about seeing what is almost an exact copy of a previous film, and how you feel about the general laziness of the current era of pointless Hollywood reboots, remakes and retreads.

The only point of this film seems to be erasing T3 to T5 from the franchise timeline.

axl rose

Bench
Joker - Merlins cadbury knickers was this good. Surely River's brother is bringing home the Oscar for this one. Can't remeber the last time i left the cinema so satisfied. Was more a slow symphony of chaos than a film. 9.5/10
The Jokers stand up career had a lot of potential.

“Knock knock who’s there?” “The police...your son got hit by a drunk driver. He’s dead.”

Wizardman

First Grade
Well I guess it depends on how you feel about seeing what is almost an exact copy of a previous film, and how you feel about the general laziness of the current era of pointless Hollywood reboots, remakes and retreads.

The only point of this film seems to be erasing T3 to T5 from the franchise timeline.
I looked at the IMBD movie review website (these days, a better barometer of a movie's quality than agenda driven movie reviewers) and it seems every person on it found it a disappointment at the very least. Terminator 5 is one of the worst A-list action movies I've ever seen....yet they are saying that is on par with that pile of shit. Puts me off seeing it sadly,
Genisys was that bad that I turned it off prob about three quarters of the way though...first time for an Arnie movie. A confusing and boring mess.

Matua

Bench
I looked at the IMBD movie review website (these days, a better barometer of a movie's quality than agenda driven movie reviewers) and it seems every person on it found it a disappointment at the very least. Terminator 5 is one of the worst A-list action movies I've ever seen....yet they are saying that is on par with that pile of shit. Puts me off seeing it sadly,
Genisys was that bad that I turned it off prob about three quarters of the way though...first time for an Arnie movie. A confusing and boring mess.
I don't know if that is true, IMDB is easily manipulated and the Captain Marvel example (down-voting before the movie started) on the site highlighted that. The other one was a movie about Armenian genocide that sat on about 5% because Turks down-voted it and Armenians up-voted it ... before it was released.

Although, maybe the changes they have brought in since Captain Marvel has improved their ratings system.

I have a mate who swears by IMDB, but he watches some crap films because of it and misses some decent ones.

The thing with movie reviewers is just read the ones you know you like ... disregard aggregator sites as you don't know who is being considered for inclusion. I don't always agree with reviewers I like but I know we approach movies in a similar way.

bileduct

Coach
I don't know if that is true, IMDB is easily manipulated and the Captain Marvel example (down-voting before the movie started) on the site highlighted that. The other one was a movie about Armenian genocide that sat on about 5% because Turks down-voted it and Armenians up-voted it ... before it was released.

Although, maybe the changes they have brought in since Captain Marvel has improved their ratings system.

I have a mate who swears by IMDB, but he watches some crap films because of it and misses some decent ones.

The thing with movie reviewers is just read the ones you know you like ... disregard aggregator sites as you don't know who is being considered for inclusion. I don't always agree with reviewers I like but I know we approach movies in a similar way.
I pretty much ignore any kind of aggregate percentage and read normal viewer reviews. Even then I look for the longer ones which actually explain what they did or didn't like about the film, which gives you a pretty good idea of whether or not they are actually reviewing the film itself or are buttmad about something else.

But that's only useful if either 1) I don't care about spoilers, or 2) I've already seen the film and am just generally interested in what other people thought about it. Obviously the best way of finding out if something is good or not is seeing it yourself.

Critics reviews I no longer give a shit about because they are mostly a waste of time.. There are so many shills and bootlickers in media journalism that will give better reviews to major studio films than they ordinarily would so they don't miss out on press junkets. Or there are the ones who just write clickbait bullshit to wind people up.

Matua

Bench
I pretty much ignore any kind of aggregate percentage and read normal viewer reviews. Even then I look for the longer ones which actually explain what they did or didn't like about the film, which gives you a pretty good idea of whether or not they are actually reviewing the film itself or are buttmad about something else.

But that's only useful if either 1) I don't care about spoilers, or 2) I've already seen the film and am just generally interested in what other people thought about it. Obviously the best way of finding out if something is good or not is seeing it yourself.

Critics reviews I no longer give a shit about because they are mostly a waste of time.. There are so many shills and bootlickers in media journalism that will give better reviews to major studio films than they ordinarily would so they don't miss out on press junkets. Or there are the ones who just write clickbait bullshit to wind people up.
TBH, as I don't like spoiler in general I don't read reviews until after I've seen a film.

I don't think the actual film critics are the issue, it's the fly by nighters (or the click baiters as you note). But you pick your critic for the film you're going to be watching.

I don't think many of the actual critics give better reviewers to major studio films for continued access. Sometimes they just like them. If I was a professional critic you'd probably claim I was a paid shrill as I genuinely like most Marvel films and dislike many of the DC films, but that's mostly a Snyder thing.

shiznit

Coach

I have a number of critic’s that I Place value in... usually because I’ve agreed with previous reviews they’ve done...

it’s not a right or wrong... it’s more that my tastes are probably in line with them.

RT is good for a mass look and also to bring up when flaming... :joy::joy:

but I never really use it to judge whether ill like it or not.

axl rose

Bench
Ohhh f**king serious??

mind you... I may like it... . :joy::joy:

Terminator Gender swap edition

I think you will like it if your bar is Salvation

On the negative side bileduct is right that it did nothing particularly new and the explanation for Arnies character was really stupid. It set up some good character development moments but then didn't pay them off, went straight back to an action set-piece. They took bits of everything (including a part of T3s ending) from the rest and mashed it together.

The positives, Linda Hamilton doesn't miss a beat and for the most part I did actually care about Natalia Reyes character not getting dead. Unlike Claire Danes and Nick Stahl..

Last edited:

Zoidberg

First Grade
Boy Erased. Sad story about a young man growing up in a religious family who is gay, then gets sent to a centre to “fix” him. Joel Edgerton directs and co-stars. Really good movie that makes you angry at these religious types.

It comes at night. Thriller with Joel Edgerton about a family living in the woods protecting themselves from a virus that seems to have wiped out humans (implied). Quite tense in parts. Small movie that’s worth a watch.

T-Boon

Coach
The Jokers stand up career had a lot of potential.

“Knock knock who’s there?” “The police...your son got hit by a drunk driver. He’s dead.”

Haha,
I thought the comedian that was on at the club before Joker got up was good.
"Sex for a man is like finding a car park.....there's one - that'll do...….gotta pay? f**k that...….handicapped? okay, hope nobodies watching".

mongoose

Coach
Downsizing - Matt Damon loves being in these quirky weirdo suburban movies doesn't he? Basically about people shrinking themselves to help the environment and live a more luxurious life. It turns into something different halfway in and I lost interest...

horrie hastings

First Grade
Grease.

Half watched it on 7Flix while doing other things , seen it plenty of times before but this time noticed more small and back ground bits and more comedic bits. Livvy was too pure white to be call smoking hot ( she was smoking hot in Xanadu )but God she was still beautiful and when she donned the leathers :sunglasses:. Boo to ch 7 though to cut the ending credits, they are still a big part of the movie with the soundtrack rolling, they killed the end.

Matua

Bench
Grease.

Half watched it on 7Flix while doing other things , seen it plenty of times before but this time noticed more small and back ground bits and more comedic bits. Livvy was too pure white to be call smoking hot ( she was smoking hot in Xanadu )but God she was still beautiful and when she donned the leathers :sunglasses:. Boo to ch 7 though to cut the ending credits, they are still a big part of the movie with the soundtrack rolling, they killed the end.
I saw Grease in the cinema in 1998 maybe when they re-released it and I was staggered at how much stuff was going on that was missed in endless new years eve repeats on NZ tv in the 80s and 90s.