What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Oceania Cup Test - Sat 2 Nov - AUS 12-16 TON @ Eden Park

Australia v Tonga

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Front-Rower

First Grade
After watching the three games this afternoon it would be hard not to say that Tonga are the second best nation at the moment. I think we are still number 1 for the moment.

aussie7798

First Grade
WTF where tonga doing near the end there looked like they where setting up for a pick and go the last 3 tackles and then the last tackle was completed by a tongan player on a tongan player hilarious

Grats to them anyway

Canard

Immortal
You know Tonga have some great players.

Taumalolo, Taukeiaho, Fifita, Fanua-Blake, Pangai are world class and would be picked for any team if available.

But they had a large contingent of players who are good, but played out of their skins. Guys like Murdoch-Masila, Staggs, Jennings, Tupou, Katoa, Hopoate, Hurrell, were all as good as anyone on the field.

Munster and DCE lack the game management of Thurston or Cronk (DCE has been injured all year though), so if it becomes a shootout between individuals Tonga have enough great players, and the rest playing out of their skins, to win that. Aussies needed to use team play, game management, and percentage plays to win, but had too many cowboys not willing to play that way, and only one individual (Haas) able to stand up to the brilliant Tongan individuals.

There was no Cowboys picked in the Roos side.........

King hit

Coach
Well done Tonga. Great performance.

But, I would like to add:
1. Worst Australian team I have ever seen - worse even than the team that lost to the French in 1978.
2. Cordner offers nothing as captain
3. Meninga offers not much as coach. I'm a Qld fan, but it just goes to show that the theory that Mal's success was more due to Neil Henry and Queensland culture is on the money.
4. Giraffe Neck. WTF?
5. Latrell is in fact as dumb as he looks.
Meninga has the iq of a dead animal. He is just living on the fact that he coached a team anybody including my dogs could've coached to domination.

wibble

Bench
Also he’s one of my favorite players, and maybe it works at Manly, but Jake Turbo needs to f*#k off from first reciever in rep sides

He looked as good as anyone at first receiver, but you're right, it is not his role. But that is the spine's job to organise and get the ball to the right places, and they didn't do that.

Storm13

Juniors
Someone on the GB facebook page complaining how weak this side is, saying how Cherry Evans almost signed for Leigh last season. The salty tears are now global.

wibble

Bench
After watching the three games this afternoon it would be hard not to say that Tonga are the second best nation at the moment. I think we are still number 1 for the moment.

In the last few years, all the top 4 have shown they can win and lose to each other. That has got to be healthy for the international game.

On current results, Tonga are the best, but I agree, realistically Australia are probably still the best, but Tonga may have snuck past England/Britain, and NZ may have slipped a little (though they beat Aussies two tests ago).

mozza91

Coach
That was great. Went in wanting Australia to win but was cheering for Tonga by the end. Their forwards were amazing. SST and TPJ especially.

colly

Juniors
WTF where tonga doing near the end there looked like they where setting up for a pick and go the last 3 tackles and then the last tackle was completed by a tongan player on a tongan player hilarious

Grats to them anyway
Yes it should have been a scrum with the feed Australia. Why? Took a tap and go penalty with a player in front of the ball. Also voluntary tackle. The Sutton brothers are whats wrong with refereeing.

jim_57

Staff member
In the last few years, all the top 4 have shown they can win and lose to each other. That has got to be healthy for the international game.

On current results, Tonga are the best, but I agree, realistically Australia are probably still the best, but Tonga may have snuck past England/Britain, and NZ may have slipped a little (though they beat Aussies two tests ago).

You could throw Fiji and Samoa right up there as well on paper. Fiji beat NZ 2 years ago but haven't been given the same oppurtunities as Tonga since then. Samoa looked really good earlier last decade and got very close to NZ and England but somewhat faded away after that.

jim_57

Staff member
Yes it should have been a scrum with the feed Australia. Why? Took a tap and go penalty with a player in front of the ball. Also voluntary tackle. The Sutton brothers are whats wrong with refereeing.

Voluntary tackles happen pretty much every game but one hasn't been penalised for 162729193 years.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

NZ also beat Tonga earlier this year and GB beat NZ 2-1 last year. Very little separates these teams.

Australia still 1, they just have too much strike and depth to be anything else.

NZ, Tonga, Eng largely comes down to circumstance (How they played on the day, availability/injuries, venue etc) and it wouldn't take much to sway a result one way or the other.

Good times. Hope Fiji, Samoa, PNG can continue to develop.

Latest posts