What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Brisbane Broncos

Showtime

Juniors
Obviously a lot can happen in the off season but looking at the current squad this was the best 17 I could come up with for next season.

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Bird
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Fifita
12. Gillett
13. Glenn

14. Segeyaro
15. Ofahengaue
16. TPJ
17. Flegler / Carrigan

My main concerns are;

- Isaako based on this years form and whether or not he’s good enough to play fullback or just another over ambitious winger
- The amount of brain explosions in the forward pack with Lodge, Fifita, TPJ and Ofahengaue.
- TPJ played 1 maybe 2 good games, got too much love for a late shot on Taumalolo and was suspended a lot. Not sure if it’s even possible but with solid forward depth perhaps a player swap with TPJ for someone like Townsend or Sezer if their clubs were happy to part ways.
- Birds contract worries me for an injury prone centre.
- Ideally you’d have an experienced half capable of leading a team around the park to assist Milford who is clearly to dumb to complete this task whilst Dearden learns his trade in Qcup.
- I’m happy to give Turpin time to develop and share time with Segeyaro and to be honest I’m just happy to get rid of McCullough who essentially built a career on being a solid defensive player with little to no creativity and a rubbish dummy.

Thoughts?

Bronco18

Juniors
1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Bird
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Fifita
12. Gillett
13. Glenn

14. Segeyaro
15. Ofahengaue
16. TPJ
17. Flegler / Carrigan

Thoughts?

I'll put money on TPJ starting at lock. I think Glenn's days in the middle are over.

Don't disagree with most of your concerns - this offseason is make or break for Seibold. Last offseason he was catapulted in halfway through and to an extent had to stick with what he had for a while. From all reports, McCullough/Boyd are on the outer, as is Bird, Milford and Oates. In all honesty, I'd prefer Coates to come in for Isaako on the wing. He used to be the ice man but he quickly turned into something of a liability.

IF we can free up SOME space from McCullough and Boyd, and bring in another half, I'd be happy to persist with Milford at fullback. While he by no means set the world on fire, he was still essentially playing as a half with Boyd and Turpin having very mediocre kicking games (or non-existant). If Dearden and say a Lewis/Sezer/Croft come in, Milford can be freed up to run on the edges like he should have been doing from day one.

DeeJ

Bench
I think Isaako has regressed too much to be anything more than a depth player now, and definitely not starting full back. I don't recall seeing any playmaking abilities from him. I'd have Coates or Farnsworth - who I hear is a great goalkicker, to take his place.

Glenn is on the bench, if he is in the team at all. Definitely not a lock.

McCullough and Boyd are gone for sure. Feel bad for Macca, as he actually tries and at one stage he was crucial to our defense. Unfortunately his lack of speed hurts his greatly and he hasn't turned himself into a Cameron Smith type of hooker which I always thought he could be. Boyd on the other hand, I' very happy to see go.

As much as I never agreed with the Jack Bird signing, his performances in this season I thought were very admirable. I don't think any other clubs would want to touch him at this stage - only Cronulla for depth as a former player. I wouldn't mind if he got to play a few games for us to advertise himself for another club in the future.

I'm not sure at all about Milford. I just felt bad for him this season and probably the last few seasons, tbh. I know he is our 1 million dollar man, but he doesn't seem to be able to run a team consistently. This year he was playing the dominant half and the fullback - which isn't fair for him. I guess if he has a good off season and builds his fitness he could be our long term no.1. But we need the 6 and 7 to really step up with their kicking games, especially long range stuff. Milf was impressive for me at fullback, he wasn't the best at getting himself into position but he attacked the ball and got himself into good positions in defense.

I also don't think Croft will be the right player for us. If he can't succeed in such a strict, structured team liek the Storm as a halfback, he must have some deficiencies. We really need a dominant half with a A grade kicking game.

TitanBronco

Juniors
The Broncos have a decent roster outside of the spine. Boyd made the comment about switching positions but he was switched because his form at fullback was so poor. It just seems he is not up to first grade standard anymore. McCullough is in the same boat as Boyd. Milford is grossly overpaid currently.

It seems that Seibold holds a lot of hope in Dearden as he moved on Nikorima and released Tanah Boyd to the Titans.

Signing players in the spine is the first priority. The question is who is out there. The market looks thin currently.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I think the only way we can be competitive in 2020 is if we somehow jag a surprising fullback signing:

1. Holmes/Papenhuyzen
6. Milford
7. Deardon
9. Turpin

Seems very unlikely, but our only shot me thinks.

Nerd

Bench
Bellamy dropping Chambers and Croft for poor form shows why we are where we are and the Storm are where they are. Boyd despite a year of terrible form was still at the end of the year our captain and even worse our 5/8.

League guru

Juniors
Bellamy dropping Chambers and Croft for poor form shows why we are where we are and the Storm are where they are. Boyd despite a year of terrible form was still at the end of the year our captain and even worse our 5/8.
Bellamy had someone to replace them with, the Broncos have no one any better. The Broncos squad overall is not that strong. Isn't Lockyer on the retention and recruitment panel. I don't see any blame being apportioned to him for the rediculous salaries and long term contracts that have been signed in the last few seasons. Easy to blame Boyd for the whole season, I think he has plenty of mates.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Bellamy had someone to replace them with, the Broncos have no one any better. The Broncos squad overall is not that strong. Isn't Lockyer on the retention and recruitment panel. I don't see any blame being apportioned to him for the rediculous salaries and long term contracts that have been signed in the last few seasons. Easy to blame Boyd for the whole season, I think he has plenty of mates.

There were other options in several weeks when Turpin/Boyd were named in the halves...

I don't think we were ever going to be a premiership winning side given our squad, but I thought with better player selections and movements that we would have done better. And, more importantly, be much better prepared for 2020.

Seibold needs to learn how to make the tough decisions quickly. Bellamy has been making them all year. Dropping Chambers for such an important game showed balls, especially as I am sure that Chambers is "well liked" around the club.

I do agree that the recruitment and retention team need a good looking over. How we signed Boyd and Gillett on long term contracts is a disgrace. And Macca playing so many games for us.

Nerd

Bench
Boyd wasn't the only one who didn't play well this year but his form was that woeful that replacing him with a rookie would have been a better outcome. The whole season wasn't Boyd's fault but with him being club captain and then 5/8 he was covering two crucial roles. The recruitment team definitely needs looking at for some of those long term deals but lets not forget that Bennett has his fingerprints all over some of those deals.

Showtime

Juniors
I often wondered what the other players and in particular the younger players thought of Boyd as a captain. To me his leadership looked so uninspiring, he didn’t say a whole lot and offered nothing on the field.

There’s a rumour going round that Lodge will be the next captain.

Bronco18

Juniors
I do agree that the recruitment and retention team need a good looking over. How we signed Boyd and Gillett on long term contracts is a disgrace.

I’d say the Gillette signing was pretty defensible when it was done. When he signed he was arguably the best second rower in the world, how would someone know he would suffer a career threatening neck injury?

Last edited:
Reactions: gUt

gUt

Coach
Yeah reminds me of Tallis

edit not as players but their situation/career

Bronco18

Juniors
Ok, fair play GoTheBroncos...

That is a bit of a joke he was given the 4 year upgrade while sidelined WITH the injury.

Attachments

• B9C8FEF0-FB3B-4314-9E49-17C292740F59.png
    B9C8FEF0-FB3B-4314-9E49-17C292740F59.png
    388.6 KB · Views: 10

Nerd

Bench
After watching the debacle that was the GF one thing besides the refereeing howler that did stand out was the play when attacking the try line Papalli comes behind the dummy half from the other side of the ruck and runs at the defence who are starting to slide. He scored a few tries from it throughout the year and if Cronk didn't hit him without the ball would have probably scored one during the GF as well. Payne Haas would be the perfect candidate to take this sort of run and fingers crossed we can add this play to our repertoire.

Bronco18

Juniors
Gotta say I’ve cooled on all this Sezer talk.

He really seemed to take a back seat and the Raiders over relied on Jack Wighton. Still a big upgrade on whoever we have still I guess.

Showtime

Juniors
Gotta say I’ve cooled on all this Sezer talk.

He really seemed to take a back seat and the Raiders over relied on Jack Wighton. Still a big upgrade on whoever we have still I guess.

I tend to agree, he doesn’t offer a whole lot in attack other than a solid 5th tackle option however Sezer and Croft are both upgrades over the rubbish we had to put up with this year if we land one.

I don’t live in Qld so I’m a little bit out of the loop but surely we have some decent halves / hooker talent coming through? I know Dearden is highly touted but surely there’s more?

Nerd

Bench
After tonights performance is Staggs now a chance to solve our 5/8 problem?

wain

Juniors
I have my team as pretty similar to above. Im totally ok with no new purchases...I think the media beat up over the need for halves was actually pretty exaggerated. No doubt, Boyd and Turpin were crap, but we started the year with Nikorima, Bird, Dearden, OSullivan but lost them all...so 2019 was a write-off. If the selectors had the faith in Dearden and OSullivan before injury then I'm happy to give them a shot.

For me:
a) Milford has to be 6, not 1.
b) Lodge cannot be captain, it would draw way too much unneeded attention...so either someone else or stick with Darius...which means Darius gets a stay of execution for now. His style would suit him in the centres anyway. He's a good leader but no fullback or half.
c) Don't know where to fit in Kahu or Bird in the backs. Then they went and signed the young GC back as well when we have some great up-and-comers.
d) Would love to see Haas tried similar to Graham at Doggies a few years ago when he comes on at 25/30mins and doesnt sub off again. It means we only use 1 sub and actually limits his gametime a little more as Ive been reading more on overuse and burnout in young players and think thats worth considering long term.

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Boyd (c)/Bird (battle of the plodders)
4. Stagg
5. Coates/Farnworth/Kahu
6. Milford
7. Dearden/OSullivan
8. Ofahengaue
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Fifita
12. Glenn
13. TPJ

14. Dearden/OSullivan
15. Haas
16. Flegler
17. Carrigan

gUt

Coach
At this stage I can’t see how we will be doing any better in 2020. A very good forward pack giving time and space to a bunch of ineffectual backs

Latest posts