What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 review summary by SK.

Rich102

Staff member
Warriors coach Stephen Kearney says the club has completed the review of the 2019 season, which has revealed where improvements need to be made.

"The Warriors finished 13th on the ladder this year, a step back from 2018, but Kearney says the review highlighted areas where they need to be better.

"We had a really good review process post the season and identified areas where we needed to close the gap on and part of it was a game model." Kearney said.

"So what we were doing in defence, what we were doing in attack and we've identified those areas as a coaching group and what we need to do to improve."

While there were only three clubs that's finished lower on the ladder than the Warriors, Kearney doesn't feel they're far away from being a successful club.

"The reality was that there were seven games this year, where there were six losses and a draw and the total points difference average over those seven games was three points," he said.

"We missed out on the final by two wins, so what that says is the competition is very close.

"But what is also says is that we need to be better and that's the reality of our situation.

"So we need to be better with our game model, how we finish games, we need to be better as coaches and how we get that message across to the group.

"I'm excited about that and if I'm honest, I thought it got a bit lost in the finish to the year, the last six weeks. In four of those games it was heavy defeats, which were very disappointing and not good enough.

"So it's about putting ourselves in a position where we're better than that next time."

So far, the only player recruited for next season is hooker Wayde Egan from the Panthers, who can be seen as a like for like replacement for Issac Luke.

"What Wayde brings is someone who was a dummy half since he was young fella.

"He had a wonderful under 20s career and was just starting to find his way in the Panthers first grade and the opportunity for him to come to our footy club is a real positive one.

"He's young, he's got a bright future ahead of him and ideally, he offers us that stability.

"I'm really pleased that we were able to get him and it also helps because it challenges Nathaniel (Roache) and Karl (Lawton)."

Roache may have hoped that with Luke departing it could have led to an easier route to the club's No 9 jersey.

However, the 23-year-old has simply been too injury prone over his career and has played just 26 games since making his debut in 2016.

For all of his talent, the Warriors can't trust him to stay injury free through the season.

"That's the reality of our sport unfortunately," Kearney said.

"But if there's one thing I know about Nathaniel is that he'll give himself every opportunity to play.

"He's such a positive young man and as long as he stays like that, whatever gets thrown at him, he'll be able to live with it.

"He has had rotten luck, but what I admire about him is that he gives himself every opportunity to get back to playing footy.

"If you don't do that, then you've definitely got no chance. So that's what I admire about him.

"I wish, I hope and I'm pretty confident that he'll give himself every opportunity and then it's keeping our fingers' crossed for him. There is no doubt he certainly makes our footy team better when he plays."

The Warriors have a couple more spots to fill for next season's roster and with the November 1 deadline gone, it means clubs can make offers to players for the 2021 season.

Clubs will also reveal whether they'll look to make changes to their roster for 2020 and Kearney says the Warriors are ready to react to the market.

"We've made it pretty clear that we're not going to jump into making quick decisions because we have to," he said.

"We're going to make decisions that will benefit our footy club next year and the years after that.

"We'll see what happens. There are clubs that want to move players, other clubs will have to move players, so the fall out of what transpires from this, I don't know yet.

"But what I will say is that Peter (O'Sullivan, Warriors recruitment manager) has been active in making sure we've positioned ourselves to get the right person to help our footy team."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ath-warriors-need-to-take-for-success-in-2020

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Imo he kinda has a point.
We were robbed against Eels and the Storm this year imo.
Giving those two games back to us, had we squeezed into the 8, it wouldn't have been such a cluster f**k of a year, considering the SJ drama and losing our 2nd best player Tohu for a large chunk of the year.

I absolutely agree that things need to change and for the better, but I can see a whole heap of upside for us next year.

Big Marn

Juniors
well the review wasnt very honest.
He seemed to completely omit the reality that more than half of the team lacks talent...including himself.

BLN2

Juniors
FFS - SK does my head in. 2 wins off the 8, and that means the season wasn't too bad or something? Like trying to tell us fans this season was generally good, but just lost too many close one? F*ck me SK you are blind.

How about admitting the team was beaten in the forwards almost weekly, favourites were played for too long (Second row OMG) and the side lacked attacking structure? Raise the fact losing our long term halfback in the pre season was brutal?

JJ

Immortal
The 8 is loser talk anyway only the 4 were in the race and we’re not remotely close to that level

Potato

Rich102

Staff member
And worst of all was the crap style of football we played.
Wings doing forwards work.
Props doing FA.
Second row not offloading.
What's happened to the hit, turn & offload?

Any skilled player would be lost in this team.
If that's not the potato's fault I don't know what is.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Mole reporting that Justin Morgan has been brought in to put the pressure on Kearney and potentially take over midyear if the results haven’t come

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Stacey needs to get out of dodge before his name is damaged forever.

Go assist, f**k anywhere but a place where a bloke checks his own stools for problems.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Kearney is as Muppet. That's my review.
81HuZv96nwL._SX425_.jpg

Diesel

Referee
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-ne...c383-4200-8910-2c65ecfc4027?ocid=Social-NRLFS

KEARNEY FEELING THE PINCH

Still on the Warriors, and former Eels, Raiders and Warriors forward Justin Morgan is set to put the pressure on Stephen Kearney next season.

Morgan has been appointed as the club's NSW Cup coach and sources across the ditch tell me there will be a push to install his as NRL coach mid-season if the Warriors again start the year poorly.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F721b45bf-8630-4b04-a259-9cfa34dcedad

Morgan putting pressure on Kearney. (Getty)
A former Warriors assistant coach, Morgan is highly regarded in league circles and most recently coached the Kiwi Ferns women's team.