What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RU World Cup

Meth

Staff member
he really hasn't had the cattle either

next gen looking much better so whom ever takes over will have to replace a few of the retirees and we have some good young prospects too

Personally, I put a lot of the blame at the feet of guys like Quade Cooper, Kurtley Beale and James O'Connor and the coaches and administration to put up with them. I can't quite remember whether it was Robbie Deans, Ewan McKenzie or both.

Meth

Staff member
More likely he was consistently outsmarted by opposing coaches and just couldn't handle the Test level.

On close inspection, Cheika's record as Australian coach has been abysmal. On his watch, the Wallabies have dropped to seventh in the world rankings, their lowest in history.

Meanwhile, Cheika has blamed assistant coaching staff, referees, the media, RU admin... everyone but himself. I figured something was wrong a few years ago during that whole 'clowngate' thing in NZ. Surely the warning bells were going off in the (then) ARU as well.

The real story here is about how he kept his job for this long.

I remember when he was awarded coach of the year. Was it 2015? What a joke

Meth

Staff member
NZ have been the best team for 10 years. It's impossible to be #1 forever in a competitive code. England are deservedly now #1 and I expect that to be confirmed tomorrow night. We are now either #2 or #3- I actually think we're #2, but whatever. It gives us a chance to launch into a new era at the top.

Meanwhile, lol @ Ireland. They really thought this would be their year.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I remember when he was awarded coach of the year. Was it 2015? What a joke
I don't care which sport it is, but it's always a bad look when a coach starts blaming everyone around them. Cheika has been doing just that from day one. His own staff, assistant coach(es), the media. And at the end he blamed his own RU admin, the people that paid him. Has he ever taken any responsibility for his own actions?

Meth

Staff member
I find Cheika insufferable overall, but I've softened on him in the last year. Have seen him take ownership at points and also showed restraint. Still petulant, but not as bad as he was. Nevertheless, his results speak for themself.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
SA bludged their way into the final but put on their best game when it mattered. England played their final last week but also losing Sinkler in the first 3m really stuffed them, their game is entirely built around forward dominance, once they lost scrum parity they were always going to be up against it. Really nothing in it between the top three teams this year, shown by the fact that each beat one of the others and lost to the other one during the tournament, SA were just the team that got the timing right.

ReddFelon

Juniors
World Cup's tend to be wars of attrition, which appears to be something Erasmus expected. the 6-2 split with the bench and the constant subbing of forwards so that they had minimal chance for injury clearly benefited them last night. They looked fresher from the kick off.

iJehovah

Juniors
it wouldn't matter what country the RWC would be played in, if it were in the USA, it'd just mean less Yanks go to watch and more seats available for the touring supporters