What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule changes you'd like to see for next season

T-Boon

Coach
Pack scrums 10m from sideline

Why?
If anything the rule should be the team with the feed can pack it anywhere they like along the line.
That would at least bring some randomness and possible set plays into the equation.

T-Boon

Coach
Make conversions worth 1 point. Allow the option of a 7 on 7 play for 3 points after a try. Fans want to see attacking play. Not rugby conversions.

siv

First Grade
Why?
If anything the rule should be the team with the feed can pack it anywhere they like along the line.
That would at least bring some randomness and possible set plays into the equation.

9 out 10 plays go to the open side when scrums are packed

Gives them 10m extra room to set backline plays

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Not only that but there is talk of extending it if a team kicks a field goal or penalty. The other team to have a set of 6 reply.

Why not just leave it as a draw?

Your sense has no place here

The most perplexing part of all of it is there can still be drawn games
This makes absolutely no sense

T-Boon

Coach
9 out 10 plays go to the open side when scrums are packed

Gives them 10m extra room to set backline plays

Okay, I like the explanation.
What do you think about letting the team feeding the ball chose where the scrum is packed?

Saxon

Bench
I'd be happy not to change any rules. Just enforce them.
Not play the ball properly? Penalty
Repeatedly offside? Penalty
Hold on too long in a tackle? Penalty
Flop in late? Penalty

Yeah we will get a bunch of penalties in the first few weeks but they will settle down and we will start to get more attractive football.

...Oh wait, we tried that and Gould and Johns decided that "a little bit offside" didn't matter and abused the refs until Greenberg caved.

Chimp

Bench
Flop in late? Penalty

Yeah we will get a bunch of penalties in the first few weeks but they will settle down and we will start to get more attractive football.

...Oh wait, we tried that and Gould and Johns decided that "a little bit offside" didn't matter and abused the refs until Greenberg caved.

THIS - Completely....

Tackle - immediate release once tackle completed or on the call of held... not take them to the ground on the held call, no starting to peel off on the held call, no turtling etc

PTB - Regain feet - not using the ball as a crutch to help you get up, place the ball on the ground, play it with the foot

Offside - Dont make it back 10, penalty - whether blindside or open side

taste2taste

Juniors
Flop in late? Penalty

Yes 100% correct, the whining from Gus and Joey had me turning off ch9!

According to Gus and Joey its a sin for refs to give a penalty, its a far better game when players are breaking the rules all gaaaame looong.

siv

First Grade
Tackle - immediate release once tackle completed or on the call of held... not take them to the ground on the held call, no starting to peel off on the held call, no turtling etc

The issue here is that ALL tackles are not complete until after a ref says something - held surrender etc

So players will lay all over tackled players until this call is made

Then they push the boundary by the slow peel

There should be a simple process of 4 sec - penalty

Not a situation if you can distract the ref it ends up being 9 sec

Also penalised the second movements that occur in the peel as outlined in the rule book to stop the wrestle

Legion

Juniors
Make conversions worth 1 point. Allow the option of a 7 on 7 play for 3 points after a try. Fans want to see attacking play. Not rugby conversions.
Weren't tries originally worth 3 points?
At a guess I'd say that a try was increased to 4 points, leaving a conversion at 2, so that it's worth more than a field goal.

Not that I'm sure that the point system should be changed but if it was for arguments sake, would it not be better to increase the value of a try to 5 points instead?

Frailty

First Grade
Charge down is not 6 again. Would be simple to rule to change, just like the corner post rule.

Whilst I can understand the logic behind this, I actually think this would be a negative move. I like the idea of rules forcing players to make a decision on risk and reward. This would just mean players shooting out of the line on the last (and I doubt referees will enforce when they've left early).