What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Shredder

Juniors
Yaeh in my view LM is going to be one of those players who struggles week to week if he doesnt have a team of stars around him. Sometimes he struggles when he does as well.

The unknown

Juniors
Like don't get me wrong on his day he can be the best centre / player and destroy teams. But he seems immune to hard work

Like shredder said, put him in a team like ours, Titans etc and he'd struggle big time

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Like don't get me wrong on his day he can be the best centre / player and destroy teams. But he seems immune to hard work

Like shredder said, put him in a team like ours, Titans etc and he'd struggle big time

I'd rather try to Moses Suli back from Manly than any thought of Latrell Mitchell. WT had big raps on him but at that stage his immaturity won out. He's a bit older and wiser now.

Shredder

Juniors
This is where the interesting part of this rebuild comes in.

I think we need solid players not star players.

We lack the kind of solid meat and potato players that most good clubs have. The proof of this is how many players we have released over the years that havent been picked up by other clubs and have either retired or gone to "Super" League. Look at Melbourne. Solid M&P players with a couple of stars.

Sure we need stars, but more desperately we need strong depth. We need a good number of our run-on side to be strong solid 7s and 8s, with a smattering of stars added. Players that are going to be consistently good. Rather than occasionally outstanding.

So it would be great to have a player like Arrow, but we need players like Lomax or Takarangi as well.

My view only.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
This is where the interesting part of this rebuild comes in.

I think we need solid players not star players.

We lack the kind of solid meat and potato players that most good clubs have. The proof of this is how many players we have released over the years that havent been picked up by other clubs and have either retired or gone to "Super" League. Look at Melbourne. Solid M&P players with a couple of stars.

Sure we need stars, but more desperately we need strong depth. We need a good number of our run-on side to be strong solid 7s and 8s, with a smattering of stars added. Players that are going to be consistently good. Rather than occasionally outstanding.

So it would be great to have a player like Arrow, but we need players like Lomax or Takarangi as well.

My view only.

Agree, we have a good many meat and 'tatoes' players- we dont have to replace each with a superstar- more often than not just a better / younger version M&P player. We only really need very good quality inc a superstar of two spine. EDIT- hopefully one of the M&P players will be one of your goalkicker options.

The unknown

Juniors
I'd rather try to Moses Suli back from Manly than any thought of Latrell Mitchell. WT had big raps on him but at that stage his immaturity won out. He's a bit older and wiser now.

100% would take him back in a heartbeat, in the South's semi he was the best player on the park imo in a losing side

BrotherJim05

Bench
In reality there are dozens of things that Madge needs out of a player that we probably don't see. This is the first time since Sheen's that I completely trust the coach knows what he is doing.

While I get front loading contracts gives us room for 2021, what happens if the players we front load decide to pull a Matterson? We essecially lose all that cap money?

Once we clear Reynolds, Packer and Mbye off the books we will be in much better shape to go after big names but for 2020 I don't see us signing anyone amazing. I'm hoping Madge can get 3 decent players rather than 1 amazing player

Last edited:

Magpies Forever

Juniors
In reality there are dozens of things that Madge needs out of a player that we probably don't see. This is the first time since Sheen's ghat I completely trust the coach knows what he is doing.

While I get front loading contracts gives us room for 2021, what happens if the players we front load decide to pull a Matterson? We essecially lose all that cap money?

Once we clear Reynolds, Packer and Mbye off the books we will be in much better shape to go after big names hut for 2020 I don't see us signing anyone amazing. I'm hoping Madge can get 3 decent players rather than 1 amazing player

In Madge we trust. Amen................

I really wish WT would offer Maguire a contract extension now. Both for sending a signal to the players and to show faith in him- especially as his current tenure is ensnarled with the players signed by Cleary on overinflated prices and minimal performance. Seems harsh to judge him by end of 2021 season when current contract ends. I'd like to see an additional 2 years for a clear assessment.

BrotherJim05

Bench
In Madge we trust. Amen................

I really wish WT would offer Maguire a contract extension now. Both for sending a signal to the players and to show faith in him- especially as his current tenure is ensnarled with the players signed by Cleary on overinflated prices and minimal performance. Seems harsh to judge him by end of 2021 season when current contract ends. I'd like to see an additional 2 years for a clear assessment.

I feel Madge is going to be in this for the long haul, largely for his own personal record. If he wins a comp with Wests Tigers then he has a record of winning a premiership at every club he has been head coach.

Vozzy

Juniors
The main past mistakes tigers have made is getting rid of potential star players before they hit consistent form.

Like we had Tedasco, addo Carr, PapenH, moses, Brooks even koribete is now playing for the wallabies.

So players like talau, Billy Walters, the young qld hooker, Kane Bradley these are the kinds of players we can't let go of. People say tigers don't attract star players but we are pretty good at producing them.

Players like Garner, Mikele, Clark and momorovski are the kinds of players who were good at times and inconsistent at other times that a guy like Jason Taylor would completely give up on.

Tiger05

First Grade
Does anyone know how some of our dev players ala Dylan Smith and Sam McIntyre are going. They were at my gym on the weekend and I wrestled Dylan. I avoided Sam because he was bigger. Dylan seemed like a nice guy.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Does anyone know how some of our dev players ala Dylan Smith and Sam McIntyre are going. They were at my gym on the weekend and I wrestled Dylan. I avoided Sam because he was bigger. Dylan seemed like a nice guy.

I have heard on the other forum McIntyre is headed north.

The unknown

Juniors

I don't reckon either have much chop, watched a little bit of them in Flegg and CCup, high work rates but nothing to get excited about

macnaz

Staff member
BMM is eyeing an NRL return, he tore the Aussie pack a new asshole on Sat night, hope we are looking at him
But the problem is ... can he play like that on a rainy Thursday night in Sydney somewhere or does he need to be playing for his nation against the world champions to lift to that level ?
If Magde could get consistent mongrel and effort out of him I'd be happy to sign him, perhaps short term with upgrades when earnt.

The unknown

Juniors
But the problem is ... can he play like that on a rainy Thursday night in Sydney somewhere or does he need to be playing for his nation against the world champions to lift to that level ?
If Magde could get consistent mongrel and effort out of him I'd be happy to sign him, perhaps short term with upgrades when earnt.

This is where I like the idea of performance based contracts. We could sign him on a 1 year deal with the option of a 2nd year in our favour if he trumps expectations. Use Mattos money for his 1st year, if he performs then he can write his own cheque.

The potential is there obviously, just any incentive to get him to play like that consistently would be ideal.

Basically I just want a mongrel forward haha

axl rose

Bench
A bit like those Queenslanders (Gagai) over the years. Different players in the maroon jersey, average club players.

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't reckon either have much chop, watched a little bit of them in Flegg and CCup, high work rates but nothing to get excited about

Dylan told me it was ruthless now. I think he was talking from a players perspective. I said it sucks how players just leave for one more dollar.

Tiger05

First Grade
This is where I like the idea of performance based contracts. We could sign him on a 1 year deal with the option of a 2nd year in our favour if he trumps expectations. Use Mattos money for his 1st year, if he performs then he can write his own cheque.

The potential is there obviously, just any incentive to get him to play like that consistently would be ideal.

Basically I just want a mongrel forward haha

I'd like BMM back here along with Taukeiaho. I thought Hass, Taukeiaho and Taumolo were the best middle forwards in the game.

We really need a couple of forward signings now that Matterson and Matulino are gone.

Latest posts