What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues Riff

Bench
I'm sure BMM said he'd be back at Penrith when he left. He wanted to enjoy Europe whilst in his prime. A lot of stuff gets said though.

betcats

Referee
Watched replay of the Aus V Tonga game this morning on my commute. Latrell Mitchel is really going to make some club regret paying him 1m plus, I hope we stay well away. It wasn't his worst game as far as effort goes but he was pretty bad. He Is a freakishly talented but barely fit(by NRL standards) centre, he is not a full back and he isn't worth million. I might be wrong about this but I think this current roosters version of him is his best version, take him out of one of the best setups with one of the best coaches and management in RL and he will go backwards, not forwards.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Watched replay of the Aus V Tonga game this morning on my commute. Latrell Mitchel is really going to make some club regret paying him 1m plus, I hope we stay well away. It wasn't his worst game as far as effort goes but he was pretty bad. He Is a freakishly talented but barely fit(by NRL standards) centre, he is not a full back and he isn't worth million. I might be wrong about this but I think this current roosters version of him is his best version, take him out of one of the best setups with one of the best coaches and management in RL and he will go backwards, not forwards.

I agree,

martielang

Bench
Not sure on Mitchell, I can see both sides of the argument re; $1m. Imagine the extra space it’d provide Kikau...

OldPanther

Coach

Seems to be an issue as he gets older.

mxlegend99

Referee
I’d take any signing news right now. Just give me something, I’m dying here
The magic November 1st deadline only allows teams to talk to guys off contract after 2020 for the 2021 season.

We might enter negotiations with players we werent allowed to before then. But there's no guarantee anyone we target will get an early release.

Most teams refuse to do so until they get something out of it... and we are running out of players to negotiate early releases.

betcats

Referee
Seems to be an issue as he gets older.

That's the thing, it is getting worse not better as he gets older, he isn't growing as a player and improving his worst areas he just skates by on his immense natural talent which is enough at every level until you get to the nrl, then you will be found out eventually. If he was playing for us or the dragons or another struggling side some of his efforts from this season would of received a lot more criticism, but the roosters being so good as a team hides a lot of his poor efforts.

The media claims when the salary cap audit gets done soon there will be a few clubs slightly over or close to being over. Some may need to shift a player or two to be cap compliant.
That is our chance to strike.
Matterson has to sign somewhere. Ramien too and a few others. I suspect clubs right now are shuffling the pieces on the chess board to make those signings happen. A few releases will need to happen.
That is another chance for us to strike.

Coastal

Juniors
The media claims when the salary cap audit gets done soon there will be a few clubs slightly over or close to being over. Some may need to shift a player or two to be cap compliant.
That is our chance to strike.
Matterson has to sign somewhere. Ramien too and a few others. I suspect clubs right now are shuffling the pieces on the chess board to make those signings happen. A few releases will need to happen.
That is another chance for us to strike.
So its basically a normal Penrith situation where they will haggle for anyone that needs a spot without them actually being a target to fill a certain position. This club should never have ended up in the position they are in now.

betcats

Referee
So its basically a normal Penrith situation where they will haggle for anyone that needs a spot without them actually being a target to fill a certain position. This club should never have ended up in the position they are in now.

Agree, we should of just paid massive overs to convince someone to sign, what is the worst that could happen?

We already targeted one spot and filled it, I'd rather the club was patient and waited rather then signing guys out of FOMO. You can call it what you want but one way or another there is still plenty of player movement to come.

There is numerous clubs with cap space to use from retiring players etc, why aren't they all rushing their signings straight away if they have money to spend?

OldPanther

Coach
Agree, we should of just paid massive overs to convince someone to sign, what is the worst that could happen?

We already targeted one spot and filled it, I'd rather the club was patient and waited rather then signing guys out of FOMO.

110% this. Our biggest weakness according to fans was targeted and signed before Nov 1st. That's gotta count for something. Panthers obviously have cap space now, a war chest for lack of a better term, so can outbid on whoever becomes available based on our needs.

Ryan Matterson’s offer from the Eels isn’t as much as what I thought he’d get. Supposedly 1.5m for 3 years.

Whilst I’m not a massive fan of going after him before we’ve filled the centre spot, one option could be signing him and moving someone to the front row. I wonder if Yeo could put on the upper body bulk to play prop?

Coastal

Juniors

We already targeted one spot and filled it, I'd rather the club was patient and waited rather then signing guys out of FOMO. You can call it what you want but one way or another there is still plenty of player movement to come.

There is numerous clubs with cap space to use from retiring players etc, why aren't they all rushing their signings straight away if they have money to spend?
No its about the best players available filling positions within the club. We kept Mansour after two massive injuries because he was a so called supporter favourite, and yet got rid of a try scoring beast who killed it in his first full year of first grade. Maybe some players just need to be acknowledged for what they give to the game. Everyone complains about the players let go, this was one of the biggest stuff ups this club has committed. He would have stayed for a lot less than Mansour is getting paid. Well wooppee dedoo Penrith jagged Korisau..is he going to be the magical remedy to get Penrith out of the hole they have dug themselves..I very much doubt it!

Coastal

Juniors
Ryan Matterson’s offer from the Eels isn’t as much as what I thought he’d get. Supposedly 1.5m for 3 years.

Whilst I’m not a massive fan of going after him before we’ve filled the centre spot, one option could be signing him and moving someone to the front row. I wonder if Yeo could put on the upper body bulk to play prop?
Yeo doesn't have the size or the motor to play prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.