What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

TruSaint

Referee
One thing Dufty is not is a sook...where did you get this information?

I don't know if he is a sook, but I do know he carried on like a pork chop in a post game interview when the fans were upset.

Here's another tip for an up and coming star, wishing to be the next elite 1.

When the attacking side is in the midst of scoring a try, don't just stand there and watch them run from the sideline to under the posts, because you have " given up ". Refer to the NZ game if I recall correctly. Basics elude him.

Talented and fast yep. Not 1st grade material for mine. Mindset is wrong.

slippery5

Juniors
Catching high balls or bombs is an art form. Every fullback drops them from time to time.
Wind, sun, type of kick all come into play when catching the ball. Buttvthere are 2 basic principles that apply in all cases. Eyes and hands. Eyes on the ball and soft hands/arms. If you don't believe me go to the park and kick a few bombs to yourself and ser how difficult it is.
The final piece is approaching the ball with confidence. Confidence builds confidence.

Dufty, if he's to remain as a fullback , needs coaching in the areas mentioned above. If only we had one!
The main ingredient you missed is elbows together... it is the obvious flaw he has & I have watched in slow mo him doing this every time. B Morris was guilty to this one game & post match Bennett told media he needs to keep his elbows together. Obviously a real coach can recognise flaws in a players game & what is required to improve individuals.

BLM01

First Grade
I don't know if he is a sook, but I do know he carried on like a pork chop in a post game interview when the fans were upset.

When the attacking side is in the midst of scoring a try, don't just stand there and watch them run from the sideline to under the posts, because you have " given up ". Refer to the NZ game if I recall correctly. Basics elude him.

Good coach who has respect can change all that TS...I still believe he can be a good 1st grader
This year is his final chance to confirm it for me and impress those that matter including GUS :)

Eastview

Juniors
His attitude is a massive issue. Acts like a spoilt brat who always needs to have the last word and never puts in 100% at training... You heard it here first

saintm

Juniors

You have no idea what his mindset is. You don’t know how hard his worked or the struggles his had. I know for a fact he had never given up or been a quitter. The time he had a go at the crowd was because he was defending his team mates. He definitely has had some shockers where his energy levels weren’t what they should be but his confidence in 2019 was ruined by being dropped, in, out on for 5 of 10 minutes. He is a wonderful talented young man who people on this forum constantly degrade and rubbish often with no reason only that it’s their opinion.

saintm

Juniors
His attitude is a massive issue. Acts like a spoilt brat who always needs to have the last word and never puts in 100% at training... You heard it here first
Ok ... I am so sick of you know it all people. Are you at training? Or did your neighbour run into someone who knows someone else who told his butcher who told him. I Know Matt very well he is competitive but he DOES NOT have a bad attitude he has worked his arse off to get where he is and yes being small had to do it harder and better to earn a spot. Please give him a break!

possm

Coach
Ok ... I am so sick of you know it all people. Are you at training? Or did your neighbour run into someone who knows someone else who told his butcher who told him. I Know Matt very well he is competitive but he DOES NOT have a bad attitude he has worked his arse off to get where he is and yes being small had to do it harder and better to earn a spot. Please give him a break!
I say the club should step back and let professionals handle all players with a mental problem. It would be great if the NRL gave clubs salary cap relief for problems diagnosed as serious and / or long term.

Our club should do the right thing by players but the number one focus should be fixed on getting the best out of our team each week.

TruSaint

Referee
You have no idea what his mindset is. You don’t know how hard his worked or the struggles his had. I know for a fact he had never given up or been a quitter. The time he had a go at the crowd was because he was defending his team mates. He definitely has had some shockers where his energy levels weren’t what they should be but his confidence in 2019 was ruined by being dropped, in, out on for 5 of 10 minutes. He is a wonderful talented young man who people on this forum constantly degrade and rubbish often with no reason only that it’s their opinion.

If you have personal knowledge then thats great.

FTR, I have never personally attacked him. I have called him out at times, as I have many many players. At the start of the season, I hoped he would do well. Have no personal grudge toward him at all.

Being an elite sports player leaves you open to scrutiny. I don't like some of the crap on social media, but as a fan I have the right to voice my opinion.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I hope Duff has a big year in 2020, give the kid a break anyone who plays fullback for us gets more then their share of attention
It is sad that some supporters are just waiting for him to fail so they can post we told you so

Yep, same applies to young Lomax and a few others as well.
But, I admit I have been guilty of this myself with regards to Hunt.
However, with all our youngsters, and I do hold fears for our next batch, is how they are coached. Dufty does need some work on various aspects of his game, but its the coaching staffs responsibility to do that. Under our current coaching model, nothing has changed, now, hopefully, Flannagan can get to work with him and I think we'll see a much better Dufty in 2020.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I’m a massive fan of his, I hope we keep him because he’s an electric player and has won many a game for us. I’m also of the opinion that he’s not as bad under the high ball as people on here seem to think. He’s dropped a few but no more than Ponga or Papenhuyzen for the amount of games. His size is an issue at times but I’ve seen him make some very good tackles and it’s also overstated. I would love for him to start in CC and force his way back in with undeniable form.

possm

Coach
I’m a massive fan of his, I hope we keep him because he’s an electric player and has won many a game for us. I’m also of the opinion that he’s not as bad under the high ball as people on here seem to think. He’s dropped a few but no more than Ponga or Papenhuyzen for the amount of games. His size is an issue at times but I’ve seen him make some very good tackles and it’s also overstated. I would love for him to start in CC and force his way back in with undeniable form.

For a long time now, I've held the view that Dufty's is better suited to the five-eight position. As a five-eighth, Dufty would have to take very few high balls if any and would have his hands on the ball far more often during a game. A reshuffle of the team would be required however, with no marquee players being sighed for 2020 and not intention to sign other than potential first grade players, some drastic changes do need to be made. The problem is that SGI has very heavily invested in our halves combination and not invested in a marquee fullback or even good first grade centre pairing. We may get away with Saab and one of our wingers - Pereira, Pearson and Ravalawa for 2020 - however we undoubtedly do need to do something about our centre combination and fullback position.

After giving this some careful consideration I would like to see us trial the following backline line-up during the off-season:
  • 1. Lomax - if he goes well he might make an early decision to stay.
  • 2. Saab - a very bright future ahead for this winger.
  • 3. Ravalawa - unlike Aitken he has a good passing game and improving defensive skills.
  • 4. Norman - he is a left side player who can release a speedy Saab down the left side.
  • 5. Pearson - big, fast and ok in defence. Hopefully he will further develop his skills over the off-season.
  • 6. Dufty - with speed, elusiveness and a good passing game, the only skills he needs to address in the off-season is his defence.
  • 7. Hunt - I'm hoping Flanagan will be a good influence on his performance in 2020.
A well balanced side that can be accommodated within the SGI salary cap. Moving Lomax to fullback, Norman and Ravalawa to the centre pairing and Dufty to five-eighth should surely address our lacklustre attack. I'm relying on Flanagan to drastically improve our defence all over the park.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
For a long time now, I've held the view that Dufty's is better suited to the five-eight position. As a five-eighth, Dufty would have to take very few high balls if any and would have his hands on the ball far more often during a game. A reshuffle of the team would be required however, with no marquee players being sighed for 2020 and not intention to sign other than potential first grade players, some drastic changes do need to be made. The problem is that SGI has very heavily invested in our halves combination and not invested in a marquee fullback or even good first grade centre pairing. We may get away with Saab and one of our wingers - Pereira, Pearson and Ravalawa for 2020 - however we undoubtedly do need to do something about our centre combination and fullback position.

After giving this some careful consideration I would like to see us trial the following backline line-up during the off-season:
  • 3. Ravalawa - unlike Aitken he has a good passing game and improving defensive skills.
  • 4. Norman - he is a left side player who can release a speedy Saab down the left side.
  • 5. Pearson - big, fast and ok in defence. Hopefully he will further develop his skills over the off-season.
  • 6. Dufty - with speed, elusiveness and a good passing game, the only skills he needs to address in the off-season is his defence.
  • 7. Hunt - I'm hoping Flanagan will be a good influence on his performance in 2020.
A well balanced side that can be accommodated within the SGI salary cap. Moving Lomax to fullback, Norman and Ravalawa to the centre pairing and Dufty to five-eighth should surely address our lacklustre attack. I'm relying on Flanagan to drastically improve our defence all over the park.
Possm...you are starting to sound like Mary and confuse yourself of who goes where and why, playing people out of positiion...but credit due you got Saab & Hunt right....Rav a possibility but need to see more to be convinced of that big move. For me he is a winger and it is out of him & Periera

RedV Resurgence

Juniors

Dufty at 5/8? Can't kick; can't tackle; and runs sideways when confronted with a defensive line. No thanks we have had Widdop doing this for too long.

Possm...you are starting to sound like Mary and confuse yourself of who goes where and why, playing people out of positiion...but credit due you got Saab & Hunt right....Rav a possibility but need to see more to be convinced of that big move. For me he is a winger and it is out of him & Periera
My view of Dufty during the 2019 season is:
1. Strengths. Fast and elusive, can tackle but not a hard hitter. Good from broken play. .
2. Weaknesses. Suspect under the high ball, At fullback gets caught out of position on occasion. Good opposition defense lines read him carrying ball from defensive positions and his lack of bulk in these situation tells.
3. With the right coaching and support and some weight training will make him an asset in the for the club.

BLM01

First Grade
My view of Dufty during the 2019 season is:
1. Strengths. Fast and elusive, can tackle but not a hard hitter. Good from broken play. .
2. Weaknesses. Suspect under the high ball, At fullback gets caught out of position on occasion. Good opposition defense lines read him carrying ball from defensive positions and his lack of bulk in these situation tells.
3. With the right coaching and support and some weight training will make him an asset in the for the club.
One other weakness...encouraged more to support the middle or is that the coaching game plan. Everybody stay back in your positions and be ready for the next boring block and standard plays I come up with. No adlib or instictive stuff allowed.

SAP58

Juniors
I don’t believe Rav can be a first grade winger at this stage unless he can lean how to catch. He has hands like feet and will be targeted every time, however he runs hard, can pass and tackle. I havent seen him play enough as a centre to comment but he may be worth a trial, anything would be better than another year of watching Lafai and Aitken together !

Latest posts