What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

getsmarty

Immortal
Kerr, Lovodua re-signed; Saab promoted to Top 30
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 1 Nov 2019, 06:56 AM

St George Illawarra have announced that front-rower Josh Kerr and utility Joe Lovodua have re-signed with the club, while winger Jason Saab has been promoted to the Dragons' Top 30 ahead of the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

Kerr enjoyed a stellar 2019 season where he represented the Indigenous All Stars for the first time and was rewarded his NRL debut in Round 2 last season.

With seven first grade games now to his name, Kerr is looking forward to bigger and better things in 2020 after signing a one-year extension.

"I'm very excited to sign again with the Dragons. I've been here for three seasons now, and from where I've come from to where I am now, for the club to help me live out my dream [of playing first grade] the only thing left for me to do was to re-sign and hopefully take my game to another level," Kerr said.

"2019 was the biggest year for me by far. I didn't have the greatest year the season prior but the coaching and performance staff showed a lot of faith in me and helped me reach where I needed to be.

"I need to keep working hard now. Nothing is ever promised in rugby league, so I'm looking forward to the challenges ahead in 2020."

Director of Rugby League Pathways and List Management Ian Millward said he was hopeful Kerr would lock down a permanent spot in the Dragons' 17 next season.

"Josh has been a really good story for us. We took him out of the Melbourne Storm system where he was a Queensland Origin Under-20s player. He's been a really good project for our club and we are proud of his progress so far," Millward said.

"He's not only the fastest forward at our club over 40 metres but statistically he has one of the quickest play-the-balls in the NRL, which is why we had opposition from other clubs trying to sign him.

"We are really looking forward to him playing many NRL games for the Dragons in 2020. He's at a stage now where he should be putting his hand up and demanding a first grade spot."

Saab – who remains contracted to the Red V until at least the end of the 2022 season – has been promoted to the NRL Top 30 a year earlier than initially anticipated.

Saab made his NRL debut in Round 19 this year, and although injury prevented him from seeing out the 2019 season, he'd finish the year with three first games and three tries to his name.

"We dipped Jason's toes in the NRL waters last year and he's made great strides ever since. With him making his first grade debut in 2019, we wanted to advance him into our Top 30 so he's available for selection from Round 1," Millward said.

"He's a player we have earmarked to be a long-term Dragons winger and we're excited by his progress so far."

Fiji international Lovodua – who will feature against Samoa on Saturday afternoon – has been re-signed for a further season and will progress to the Dragons' Top 30 in 2020, after spending the previous two seasons in the club's development player squad.

Lovodua proved his capabilities in numerous positions in 2019 and was consistently one of the Dragons' best in the minor premiership-winning Canterbury Cup team.

"Joe has progressed through the same pathway as Jason Saab in regards to being St George juniors and progressing through to our Top 30 from the development player squad," Millward said.

"He's a real multi-skilled player Joe; it's hard to put your finger on what his position is. He can play centre, five-eighth, hooker and in the back row, but has really shown he's capabilities at No. 9 especially when representing Fiji."

Saab and Lovodua join Dragons Top 30

Following the re-signings of Kerr and Lovodua and Saab's promotion to the Top 30, the Dragons have now reached the required quota of 24 players signed before November 1. This includes back-rower Tyson Frizell who remains contracted to the club.

"What is really excited is that of the 24 players contracted, 22 of them have played first grade. Those who haven't are previous development players in Joe and Eddie Blacker, who was always transitioning into our Top 30 in 2020," Millward said.

"It goes to show our pathways are working too. Whether it be (Jacob) Host, Luciano (Leilua) and (Matt) Dufty, through to those who debuted last year in Tristan (Sailor), Jackson Ford and Jason (Saab), we won't be short on first grade experience.

"We have six spots to fill now and I'm sure out of that we will bring players with first grade experience into our organisation ahead of 2020."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/11/01/kerr-lovodua-re-signed-saab-promoted-to-top-30/

denis preston

First Grade
Kerr, Lovodua re-signed; Saab promoted to Top 30
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 1 Nov 2019, 06:56 AM

St George Illawarra have announced that front-rower Josh Kerr and utility Joe Lovodua have re-signed with the club, while winger Jason Saab has been promoted to the Dragons' Top 30 ahead of the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

Kerr enjoyed a stellar 2019 season where he represented the Indigenous All Stars for the first time and was rewarded his NRL debut in Round 2 last season.

With seven first grade games now to his name, Kerr is looking forward to bigger and better things in 2020 after signing a one-year extension.

"I'm very excited to sign again with the Dragons. I've been here for three seasons now, and from where I've come from to where I am now, for the club to help me live out my dream [of playing first grade] the only thing left for me to do was to re-sign and hopefully take my game to another level," Kerr said.

"2019 was the biggest year for me by far. I didn't have the greatest year the season prior but the coaching and performance staff showed a lot of faith in me and helped me reach where I needed to be.

"I need to keep working hard now. Nothing is ever promised in rugby league, so I'm looking forward to the challenges ahead in 2020."

Director of Rugby League Pathways and List Management Ian Millward said he was hopeful Kerr would lock down a permanent spot in the Dragons' 17 next season.

"Josh has been a really good story for us. We took him out of the Melbourne Storm system where he was a Queensland Origin Under-20s player. He's been a really good project for our club and we are proud of his progress so far," Millward said.

"He's not only the fastest forward at our club over 40 metres but statistically he has one of the quickest play-the-balls in the NRL, which is why we had opposition from other clubs trying to sign him.

"We are really looking forward to him playing many NRL games for the Dragons in 2020. He's at a stage now where he should be putting his hand up and demanding a first grade spot."

Saab – who remains contracted to the Red V until at least the end of the 2022 season – has been promoted to the NRL Top 30 a year earlier than initially anticipated.

Saab made his NRL debut in Round 19 this year, and although injury prevented him from seeing out the 2019 season, he'd finish the year with three first games and three tries to his name.

"We dipped Jason's toes in the NRL waters last year and he's made great strides ever since. With him making his first grade debut in 2019, we wanted to advance him into our Top 30 so he's available for selection from Round 1," Millward said.

"He's a player we have earmarked to be a long-term Dragons winger and we're excited by his progress so far."

Fiji international Lovodua – who will feature against Samoa on Saturday afternoon – has been re-signed for a further season and will progress to the Dragons' Top 30 in 2020, after spending the previous two seasons in the club's development player squad.

Lovodua proved his capabilities in numerous positions in 2019 and was consistently one of the Dragons' best in the minor premiership-winning Canterbury Cup team.

"Joe has progressed through the same pathway as Jason Saab in regards to being St George juniors and progressing through to our Top 30 from the development player squad," Millward said.

"He's a real multi-skilled player Joe; it's hard to put your finger on what his position is. He can play centre, five-eighth, hooker and in the back row, but has really shown he's capabilities at No. 9 especially when representing Fiji."

Saab and Lovodua join Dragons Top 30

Following the re-signings of Kerr and Lovodua and Saab's promotion to the Top 30, the Dragons have now reached the required quota of 24 players signed before November 1. This includes back-rower Tyson Frizell who remains contracted to the club.

"What is really excited is that of the 24 players contracted, 22 of them have played first grade. Those who haven't are previous development players in Joe and Eddie Blacker, who was always transitioning into our Top 30 in 2020," Millward said.

"It goes to show our pathways are working too. Whether it be (Jacob) Host, Luciano (Leilua) and (Matt) Dufty, through to those who debuted last year in Tristan (Sailor), Jackson Ford and Jason (Saab), we won't be short on first grade experience.

"We have six spots to fill now and I'm sure out of that we will bring players with first grade experience into our organisation ahead of 2020."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/11/01/kerr-lovodua-re-signed-saab-promoted-to-top-30/
Unfortunately the 6 spots will be filled by journeyman to block any pathways player's development !

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, 24 confirmed, yet 26 profiles listed.

I gather H. Lomax is one, that will continue in the DS, but who is the other one? My guess they are not including JDB in that 24.

Saab, Ford, Lovodua, Blacker all promoted from last years DS.

DS for 2020 - Lomax and Sullivan +?

Bench
Millward on saints website said there would be no marquee players be signed for 2020
They will be looking for players that have had some first grade experience, does that mean we will by looking for players from the CC
2020 is looking much as the same as 2019, very disappointing for our supporters

qld redvee

Juniors
Flanagan will be our marquee signing.
OKB1 and he just may be able to entice a few players over to fill our squad ...... especially a centre or 2 I know we are top heavy for forwards but capewell would be a good versatile player that wouldnt break the bank ... And why not use flannos influence to snare young ramien seeing as though he cant sign for the sharks at the moment

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Millward on saints website said there would be no marquee players be signed for 2020
They will be looking for players that have had some first grade experience, does that mean we will by looking for players from the CC
To be honest I think that is an intelligent decision and I know I’m not alone. We are at the point in our cycle that 2021 is the big one. No need to payout people contracts and all that business. I personally am going to see next season as an underdog year where instead of wasting money we can put another year into Leilua, Lawrie and co and blood some juniors and weigh up 2021, If they are honest about that I will get behind them and maybe with the lower expectations who knows we could even give it a shake.

Last edited:

Wittenberg

Juniors
Gee isn't that a surprise!

getsmarty

Immortal
2020 NRL rosters: Official squads announced for all teams
Author
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 4 Nov 2019, 08:55 PM
walshdan-head.png

Kurt Capewell, Issac Luke, Jesse Ramien and Ryan Matterson headline the talent still unsigned with at least 36 roster spots to be filled before the 2020 season kicks off.

November 1 signals the start of rugby league's new financial year with each club confirming a minimum of 24 contracted players for next season.

Clubs then have until March 1 to register 29 players before top 30 squads are locked in at the end of June next year.

With Cronulla still juggling their salary cap, Matterson being released by Wests Tigers and medical retirement applications approved for Ben Matulino and Matt Gillett, the stalled player market is starting to roll into gear as teams begin returning for pre-season training.

Parramatta remain favourites to land Matterson with a three-year offer tabled last week, while the club has recently re-signed Brad Takairangi, David Gower, Marata Niukore, Ray Stone and Andrew Davey.

Michael Jennings's new two-year contract is understood to be in the final stages of being sorted.

Luke meanwhile has been linked to the Dragons on a cut-price deal, while Manly are understood to have also been in contact with his agent following Manase Fainu's standing down last week.

Capewell is still yet to land a deal for 2020 with the Tigers and Knights understood to have moved on from the Sharks back-rower.

Ramien meanwhile is still waiting for Cronulla to free up requisite salary cap space for his contract to be registered.

Premiership-winning Roosters prop and Kiwi international Zane Tetevano is also on the move, though his new home is yet to be confirmed after being left out of the Tricolours top squad.

Elsewhere, Brisbane have Jordan Kahu named among their 29-man cohort, confirming NRL.com's report on Friday that the Kiwi international will return to Red Hill in 2019.

Alex Glenn is a notable absentee from the Broncos squad, but is understood to have agreed in principle to a two-year extension, with paperwork to be finalised when he returns to pre-season training.

Five-eighth Te Maire Martin has not been included in the 27 players named by North Queensland. He will continue to train with their top squad after suffering a bleed on the brain in April, with a call to be made on his 2020 contract status after another scan at the end of November.

At Manly, former international Dylan Walker is understood to have signed a reduced two-year extension early last month, while the Sea Eagles have also signed outside back Brayden Musgrove from Newcastle.

Melbourne and St George Illawarra have left themselves the most room to move across the summer, naming 23- and 24-man squads respectively.

Young gun Tristan Sailor has not been included in their initial squad but the Dragons are confident a two-year extension will be finalised in coming weeks.

The Storm have been given an extra week to finalise their top 24 under provisions in NRL rules, with halfback Brodie Croft at this stage expected to stay at the club in 2020 after being given permission to negotiate with rivals.

At the opposite end of the spectrum Brisbane, Canterbury, Manly and South Sydney have all named 29-man squads.

Sam Burgess remains in the Rabbitohs list while the NRL assesses his medical retirement application.

Recent moves for each of the 16 Telstra Premiership clubs.

St George Illawarra Dragons

Player
Contracted seasons
Euan Aitken 2020
Eddie Blacker 2020
Jack de Belin 2020
Matt Dufty 2020 2021
Jackson Ford 2020
Tyson Frizell 2020
James Graham 2020
Jacob Host 2020
Ben Hunt 2020 2021 2022 PO
Josh Kerr 2020
Tim Lafai 2020
Blake Lawrie 2020 2021 2022
Luciano Leilua 2020
Zachary Lomax 2020
Cameron McInnes 2020 2021
Corey Norman 2020 2021
Jonus Pearson 2020
Jordan Pereira 2020 2021
Mikaele Ravalawa 2020
Jason Saab 2020 2021 2022
Korbin Sims 2020 2021
Tariq Sims 2020 2021 2022
Paul Vaughan 2020 2021 PO
New faces
Eddie Blacker, Jackson Ford, Jason Saab (upgraded from development contracts)

Unsigned/Losses
Jeremy Latimore (retired), Gareth Widdop (Warrington), Reece Robson (Cowboys), Steven Marsters (Rabbitohs), Mitchell Allgood, Jai Field, Lachlan Maranta, Patrick Kaufusi, Darren Nicholls, Lachlan Timm, Tristan Sailor (unsigned)

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/11/04/2020-nrl-rosters-official-squads-announced-for-all-teams/

possm

Coach
I've been saying for quite some time now, that Millward has made a MESS of our roster. The experiment of having him and his department operating outside of the head coach and reporting directly to the CEO has failed and should be discontinued.

Any head coach worth is salt would not stand for this as at any club except SGI, the head coach assumes the responsibility of the performance of the NRL team.

It seems that Millward assumes no responsibility of poor decisions made, taking credit for signings that turn out fine e.g. T Sims and Vaughan, but deflects criticism away from himself when things go badly.

I say hire Brown to replace Millward as one of many necessary steps to turn around the plight of SGI.

Latest posts