What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons appoint Flanagan to fix defensive frailties

Adrian Proszenko
1 day ago

$
:copyright: AAP Shane Flanagan has been given an opportunity to work in the NRL again.
Shane Flanagan has been tasked with stiffening up a St George Illawarra side that leaked the second most points in the competition last season after joining the club as its defensive coach.

Flanagan will join the Red V as an assistant to Paul McGregor before the players return for pre-season duty from annual leave. The NRL has cleared the premiership-winning coach to return to the game but won’t be eligible for a head coaching role before 2022 after breaching the terms of his 2014 suspension.

The Dragons leaked 575 points last season, the worst defence in the league aside from the Titans (651). Flanagan will be responsible for plugging the defensive leaks as the side attempts to return to finals football in 2020.

The club could make an official announcement as soon as next week.

“Shane Flanagan is someone who is very much respected in rugby league,” said Dragons forward James Graham.

“He won a competition as a head coach not that long ago. He would be a welcome addition to any organisation.”

Another premiership-winning coach, Phil Gould, helped conduct the club’s post-season review. The Dragons remain hopeful Gould will accept a permanent position.

“Gus is obviously someone respected by the majority of the rugby league community,” Graham said.

“Speaking to him, he seems intelligent and knows and loves our game. If that role was to become available, he ticks all the boxes.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/dragons-appoint-flanagan-to-fix-defensive-frailties/ar-AAJFMeH

BLM01

First Grade
Dragons appoint Flanagan to fix defensive frailties

Adrian Proszenko
1 day ago

$
:copyright: AAP Shane Flanagan has been given an opportunity to work in the NRL again.
Shane Flanagan has been tasked with stiffening up a St George Illawarra side that leaked the second most points in the competition last season after joining the club as its defensive coach.

Flanagan will join the Red V as an assistant to Paul McGregor before the players return for pre-season duty from annual leave. The NRL has cleared the premiership-winning coach to return to the game but won’t be eligible for a head coaching role before 2022 after breaching the terms of his 2014 suspension.

The Dragons leaked 575 points last season, the worst defence in the league aside from the Titans (651). Flanagan will be responsible for plugging the defensive leaks as the side attempts to return to finals football in 2020.

The club could make an official announcement as soon as next week.

“Shane Flanagan is someone who is very much respected in rugby league,” said Dragons forward James Graham.

“He won a competition as a head coach not that long ago. He would be a welcome addition to any organisation.”

Another premiership-winning coach, Phil Gould, helped conduct the club’s post-season review. The Dragons remain hopeful Gould will accept a permanent position.

“Gus is obviously someone respected by the majority of the rugby league community,” Graham said.

“Speaking to him, he seems intelligent and knows and loves our game. If that role was to become available, he ticks all the boxes.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/dragons-appoint-flanagan-to-fix-defensive-frailties/ar-AAJFMeH
Unbelievable. Never saw this announcement coming.
Does this mean he has (I mean) can start work before Dec 18
Good work St George media by coming out on the front foot to announce it before.....:oops:...too late...SMH beat you to it.

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Has a few years of footage on our right side defence, piece of cake to fix.

If I'm Flanagan, I'm a bit unsure about how to approach this assistant coaching opportunity with the Dragons. Firstly, I am a premiership winning coach so I should not have to prove to SGI management that I can coach. The easiest and most sure fired way of getting the Head coaching job at SGI a couple of years from now when I am NRL approved is for me to do nothing and to let McIdiot dig his own grave without any input from me. If I fix up McIdiot's porous defensive systems and lo and behold, the club somehow embarks on a winning run, Mary may get another extension and I get the shaft.

Defensive coach alright. He will be defending Mary most of his time for his poor coaching.....

Gareth67

First Grade
If I'm Flanagan, I'm a bit unsure about how to approach this assistant coaching opportunity with the Dragons. Firstly, I am a premiership winning coach so I should not have to prove to SGI management that I can coach. The easiest and most sure fired way of getting the Head coaching job at SGI a couple of years from now when I am NRL approved is for me to do nothing and to let McIdiot dig his own grave without any input from me. If I fix up McIdiot's porous defensive systems and lo and behold, the club somehow embarks on a winning run, Mary may get another extension and I get the shaft.

That will be a hard pill to swallow , but unfortunately perhaps the best way for him to secure the head role , when his suspension is over .

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
This assistant coaching gig at the Dragons should be investigated as a case of cruel & unusual punishment..

41yearsaint

Juniors
Mcgregor is in a lose lose situation, if we improve its because of Flanagan, if not it's on Mcgregor. I can't see Flanagan not putting in 100% as he will do his time with us and walk into an NRL gig, be it with us or another club.

possm

Coach
Well if you give Flanagan the most difficult assignment, the job that Dean Young failed at, then it is a win win for Young and McGregor. If the defence improves significantly then it is a tick for Mary who gave him the assignment and for Young who will surely find a way to claim some of the credit.

However, if he fails to do what both Young and Mary could not do, then the writing is on the wall for Flanagan and it will be Young who assends to the head coach position.

In what I understand;
Mary will make all final decisions on game plan, structures and selections.
Flanagan will be resoponsible for defensive structures and coaching.
Sheppard will be responsible for attacking structures and coaching.
Young will coach the reserve grade side.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Well if you give Flanagan the most difficult assignment, the job that Dean Young failed at, then it is a win win for Young and McGregor. If the defence improves significantly then it is a tick for Mary who gave him the assignment and for Young who will surely find a way to claim some of the credit.

However, if he fails to do what both Young and Mary could not do, then the writing is on the wall for Flanagan and it will be Young who assends to the head coach position.

In what I understand;
Mary will make all final decisions on game plan, structures and selections.
Flanagan will be resoponsible for defensive structures and coaching.
Sheppard will be responsible for attacking structures and coaching.
Young will coach the reserve grade side.
Agree Possm. Dean Young as reserves coach will now either sink or swim. His true abilities will show! I can't say I am optimistic. I am still bewildered how Matt Head made way for Dean Young.

Flanagan will shine and club management will see that by comparison to the amateurs surrounding him.

Mcgregor is in a lose lose situation, if we improve its because of Flanagan, if not it's on Mcgregor. I can't see Flanagan not putting in 100% as he will do his time with us and walk into an NRL gig, be it with us or another club.

He'll put in 100% for sure.

But on the back of a successful return to finals football (wow, what high aspirations - for the Dragons that means falling into the 8, or even just missing out), Flanno will be snapped up by another club while we continue to ride the 'success' with career coach Mary.

This club is so f#*ked up.

Straight Shooter

Walpole

Juniors
Ever had one of those jobs where your boss is a dickhead and you're endlessly trying to fix his f**k ups, but when you do he still gets all the credit?

Strange thing to knowingly sign up for...

Latest posts