What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldPanther

Coach
For sure it’s a legitimate question, but how are we in a position to play it safe? Clubs like ours need to take some risks in recruitment.

We don’t have anyone that’s even close to Latrell Mitchell’s talent level in our outside backs. I’d rather take the risk and back ourselves than die wondering.

Fair point. I did say in an earlier comment he'd be great outside Kikau. We'd have the best edge attack in the game if they turned up and were fit.

luv my panfas

Juniors
Even if we want him. He wouldnt want us.

He wants money. Pure and simple. $1m a year for some lazy merkin who goes missing in games. No f**king wonder clubs arent interested.

Roosters overvalued him at $800k and he still wasn't happy.
His attitude is all wrong He now has that chip on his shoulder Without Robinson i feel he will struggle at any club Yes on his day can be brilliant but a player on a million turns up shuts up and earns the money hes paid BIG NO FROM ME !!

Flashstep

Juniors
For sure it’s a legitimate question, but how are we in a position to play it safe? Clubs like ours need to take some risks in recruitment.

We don’t have anyone that’s even close to Latrell Mitchell’s talent level in our outside backs. I’d rather take the risk and back ourselves than die wondering.

I understand what you’re saying but look at it this way, a million dollar player should be somebody that is a game changing player on a consistent basis, in my opinion the only players that can have this kind of influence are spine players, Fullbacks especially In today’s game. I would happily take a RTS, Turbo, Tedesco hell even Ponga at 1 million.

Mitchell is a centre, is it really worth it to spend 1 mill on a guy that has the issues he has that plays in a position that I would argue has the least influence in today’s game. Maybe he could move to fullback to justify his wage demands but does he really have the fitness levels and desire to make a great fullback, I don’t think so. He is a great player with a tonne of talent but right now he is combining with the best half and the best fullback in the world, come to Penrith and he would be playing with 2 solid at best players in those positions, just screams like a gamble that has very little chance of paying off to me.

I’d rather chase someone like Milford or Brimson...

MugaB

Coach
I understand what you’re saying but look at it this way, a million dollar player should be somebody that is a game changing player on a consistent basis, in my opinion the only players that can have this kind of influence are spine players, Fullbacks especially In today’s game. I would happily take a RTS, Turbo, Tedesco hell even Ponga at 1 million.

Mitchell is a centre, is it really worth it to spend 1 mill on a guy that has the issues he has that plays in a position that I would argue has the least influence in today’s game. Maybe he could move to fullback to justify his wage demands but does he really have the fitness levels and desire to make a great fullback, I don’t think so. He is a great player with a tonne of talent but right now he is combining with the best half and the best fullback in the world, come to Penrith and he would be playing with 2 solid at best players in those positions, just screams like a gamble that has very little chance of paying off to me.

I hate to say it, but i reckon he'd fill out 5/8th spot pretty well, plus his goal kicking would be a boost, Luai at halfback, nathan in at hooker, api off the bench, plus having Laterell be a centre he can cover there if there's an injury, so on field he is worth the money if he is our future 5/8th, BUT!!!
unnamed.gif
Its the off field sheeeeeet thats having me worried, and already mundine is involved in talks for him, thats the kinda stuff i don't want near our club, but everyone has baggage

franklin2323

Immortal
19 tries. 13 of those were scored at SCG. A few of those he benefited from some great team play. Which he won't get here..

To me a million dollar player has to win you games against anyone at various locations. Not just all at home

Well as it stands he may not be able to get the $1 million anyway. I'd lob an offer in for $850k see what happens.

Mitchell was putting up good numbers before Cronk/Tedesco arrived at the Roosters. I think he's the type of guy who can create his own try.

19 tries. 13 of those were scored at SCG. A few of those he benefited from some great team play. Which he won't get here..

To me a million dollar player has to win you games against anyone at various locations. Not just all at home

What's the SCG got to do with it? Most teams play better at home if that's what you mean.

If you mean something specific to the SCG, the year before he scored 17.

franklin2323

Immortal
What's the SCG got to do with it? Most teams play better at home if that's what you mean.

If you mean something specific to the SCG, the year before he scored 17.

Just saying I don't think stats tell the whole story.

Take the WT game. He scored one great try. One supporting after a bomb and an intercept. Had a try assist too

Don't get me wrong I think he can play just not for the Pricetag. There are very few players I think are worth $1m but someone that can create 1-2 tries a game would be it for me. Not tries in clumps then followed by dry spells

Just saying I don't think stats tell the whole story.

Take the WT game. He scored one great try. One supporting after a bomb and an intercept. Had a try assist too

Don't get me wrong I think he can play just not for the Pricetag. There are very few players I think are worth $1m but someone that can create 1-2 tries a game would be it for me. Not tries in clumps then followed by dry spells

I take what you're saying about soft tries, but everyone has soft tries. The 19 tries relative to other players is very good.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade

If we had a good coach who had proven that they could manage egos and superstars well, it may be worth it. But we don't, so it isn't.

mxlegend99

Referee
If we had a good coach who had proven that they could manage egos and superstars well, it may be worth it. But we don't, so it isn't.
Come on. Ivan is great with superstars.

He turned Michael Jennings, Luke Lewis and Lachlan Coote into premiership winners.

After a rough start to 2019, our 2 best backs from 2018 really started to find some form aswell.

That's just our guys. Tedesco won a premiership too. Moses has found career best form. Ivan has done incredibly well with superstars. By not standing in their way.

betcats

Referee

He turned Michael Jennings, Luke Lewis and Lachlan Coote into premiership winners.

After a rough start to 2019, our 2 best backs from 2018 really started to find some form aswell.

That's just our guys. Tedesco won a premiership too. Moses has found career best form. Ivan has done incredibly well with superstars. By not standing in their way.

Are Jennings, Coote, Moses superstars now? Dallin and Waqa too? Our two best backs scored a combined 6 tries from 39 appearences between them, that is shit hot right guys? lol if that is good form for awingers and centres thatll do me.

BossleyPanther

Juniors

Thats a great point. Although I think sacking him in 2015 was premature, he got us 1 game from grandfinal the year before and if we had stability who knows what will have happened. Chopping and changing coaches is bad for a club. But I also saying Ivan may not be the right coach, but does he have the team around him to help him get there?

mxlegend99

Referee
Are Jennings, Coote, Moses superstars now? Dallin and Waqa too? Our two best backs scored a combined 6 tries from 39 appearences between them, that is shit hot right guys? lol if that is good form for awingers and centres thatll do me.
You're right... they were average in 2019 after Ivan got his hands on them. But they were our 2 best backs in 2018 and they both improved after leaving him.

Blake had 13 tries in 16 games in 2018... then Ivan Cleary came and his tries dried up. His 2018 try scoring average was ahead of Latrell Mitchell ffs and the highest lf any centre.

Dallin only had 5 tries in 20 games. But he was still in amazing form for both us and when he captained his country to a win over Australia.

Youre proving the point focusing on their poor stats in 2019. That shit was after Ivan arrived and ruined them.

Edit
To touch on the superstar part:

Jennings was a NSW and Australian player, scored a match winner in a grand final. Yep that's a superstar.

Coote not so much a superstar (although if you google the definition you could argue he checks all the boxes). But the point was he won a grand final after leaving... and sadly Moses is a superstar. Easily. He just led the comp for try assists and took his team to a record breaking win in the finals.

Last edited:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
You're right... they were average in 2019 after Ivan got his hands on them. But they were our 2 best backs in 2018 and they both improved after leaving him.

Blake had 13 tries in 16 games in 2018... then Ivan Cleary came and his tries dried up. His 2018 try scoring average was ahead of Latrell Mitchell ffs.

Dallin only had 5 tries in 20 games. But he was still in amazing form for both us and when he captained his country to a win over Australia.

Youre proving the point focusing on their poor stats in 2019. That shit was after Ivan arrived and ruined them.

Isn't it time then that we formed a 'posse' and drive him out of Penrith. Then Hook can arrive back with his shiny white hat and thw world will be wonderful again. :p:p:eek::p

betcats

Referee

Blake had 13 tries in 16 games in 2018... then Ivan Cleary came and his tries dried up. His 2018 try scoring average was ahead of Latrell Mitchell ffs and the highest lf any centre.

Edit
To touch on the superstar part:

Jennings was a NSW and Australian player, scored a match winner in a grand final. Yep that's a superstar.

Coote not so much a superstar (although if you google the definition you could argue he checks all the boxes). But the point was he won a grand final after leaving... and sadly Moses is a superstar. Easily. He just led the comp for try assists and took his team to a record breaking win in the finals.

If Blake’s tries dried up because of Ivan why didn’t they start flowing again when he left? And how come Rookies like Too and Naden could score but 5th year superstar Waqa could not? Lol that was easy.

Jesus you talk so much rubbish. Moses is a flat track bully who led his team to wooden spoon last year, one season does not make a superstar. Mentioning Moses, Jennings, Dallin and Waqa in the same breath as Tedesco just shows how full of it you really are, you don’t need make shit up and rewrite history to bag Ivan, you just look silly in the end mx.

Moses and Tedesco were coached by Ivan for how long? Less than one season right? The tigers tried to keep them and they left(everyone knew they were leaving) how exactly is Ivan at fault??

Coote left because we had Moylan coming through and Soward coming in, how exactly is Ivan at fault for that also? Coote leaving was a good move for us, he'd been extremely injury prone his whole career. His last year here he tore a pec and missed most of the season, he then went north and promptly did an acl and missed another season just to highlight this, but yeah we really missed out on that one. But you are right once he was finally healthy for a season he looked a lot better than he did sitting on the sidelines with the rehab group.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
If Blake’s tries dried up because of Ivan why didn’t they start flowing again when he left? And how come Rookies like Too and Naden could score but 5th year superstar Waqa could not? Lol that was easy.

Jesus you talk so much rubbish. Moses is a flat track bully who led his team to wooden spoon last year, one season does not make a superstar. Mentioning Moses, Jennings, Dallin and Waqa in the same breath as Tedesco just shows how full of it you really are, you don’t need make shit up and rewrite history to bag Ivan, you just look silly in the end mx.

Moses and Tedesco were coached by Ivan for how long? Less than one season right? The tigers tried to keep them and they left(everyone knew they were leaving) how exactly is Ivan at fault??

Coote left because we had Moylan coming through and Soward coming in, how exactly is Ivan at fault for that also? Coote leaving was a good move for us, he'd been extremely injury prone his whole career. His last year here he tore a pec and missed most of the season, he then went north and promptly did an acl and missed another season just to highlight this, but yeah we really missed out on that one. But you are right once he was finally healthy for a season he looked a lot better than he did sitting on the sidelines with the rehab group.
You want to see what talking rubbish is. Read the dribble you're talking.

I named but a few of our better players who were in far better form both before and after Ivan. Guys he couldnt get along with or get the best out of. Just like Hook. You should look up the definition of superstar. It's a pretty broad brush to paint players with.

Come up with whatever bullshit reasons you want for it. Superstars dont seem to go well under Ivan... he loves a plodder and I hope you do too because that's the roster he is building here.

betcats

Referee
You want to see what talking rubbish is. Read the dribble you're talking.

I named but a few of our better players who were in far better form both before and after Ivan. Guys he couldnt get along with or get the best out of. Just like Hook. You should look up the definition of superstar. It's a pretty broad brush to paint players with.

Come up with whatever bullshit reasons you want for it. Superstars dont seem to go well under Ivan... he loves a plodder and I hope you do too because that's the roster he is building here.

I really cant believe you are using the word superstar to discuss Waqa, Dallin, Coote or Jennings hahah that is beyond ridiculous mx, its revitionist history at its finest.

Please tell me exactly what criticism Ivan deserve for Coote the superstar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts