What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Bill Williams

NRL should be bendin over with a blank cheque

• Total voters

kdalymc

Bench
Why 10mil, like is that what he asked for and they just said yes, cos I would think 4mil would have had the same effect??

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great, another insular Englishman.

haha, I’m all over the Wolfpack bandwagon, could be just the shot in the arm SL needs and as an expansionist I pray to the many gods that this time it actually works and is sustained were the likes of psg, London, Celtic c’s, Sheffield etc have failed in the past, I do wonder if a big part of the $10mill is in shares in that club that have had a mythical future value put on them? It would seem incredulous that a club with no SL grant, small crowds and no history is stumping up $5mill a year for a 34 year old forward!

Pommy

Coach
haha, I’m all over the Wolfpack bandwagon, could be just the shot in the arm SL needs and as an expansionist I pray to the many gods that this time it actually works and is sustained were the likes of psg, London, Celtic c’s, Sheffield etc have failed in the past, I do wonder if a big part of the $10mill is in shares in that club that have had a mythical future value put on them? It would seem incredulous that a club with no SL grant, small crowds and no history is stumping up $5mill a year for a 34 year old forward!

Small crowds? They’re huge crowds for the level they’ve been plying and larger than a good number of actual top tier teams.
I also don’t believe your claim they’re giving
50% of tickets away. Would be interested to see where you came up with that number from.

Chimp

Juniors
Small crowds? They’re huge crowds for the level they’ve been plying and larger than a good number of actual top tier teams.
50% of tickets away. Would be interested to see where you came up with that number from.
They apparently give plenty out to schools and also to businesses - but they also run a beer festival at every game, so more than make up for the loss in ticket revenue there. They're selling the whole matchday package, and earning more from spends in the ground than actually on tickets.
Add in their CBD business, plus the rumoured netflix and corporate deals and they've got a reasonable portfolio of products all linked together.

Pommy

Coach
They apparently give plenty out to schools and also to businesses - but they also run a beer festival at every game, so more than make up for the loss in ticket revenue there. They're selling the whole matchday package, and earning more from spends in the ground than actually on tickets.
Add in their CBD business, plus the rumoured netflix and corporate deals and they've got a reasonable portfolio of products all linked together.

I don’t doubt they give out free tickets. But that doesn’t equate to 4000 without some evidence.

TheDalek079

Bench
Whenever I watch superleague highlights and they show the attendance crowds are good if they are over 5k. With that in mind, Toronto's crowds are pretty reasonable so it's hard to understand what Perth red is whinging about. I would have thought he would be supporting expansion

taipan

Referee
Whenever I watch superleague highlights and they show the attendance crowds are good if they are over 5k. With that in mind, Toronto's crowds are pretty reasonable so it's hard to understand what Perth red is whinging about. I would have thought he would be supporting expansion

Only if it involves Perth,

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Where do you think he came up with that number? He’s always throwing his Debbie downer slant on any news on rl.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Small crowds? They’ve played in the lower leagues and have dwarfed all other clubs in these comps. They even outdraw a lot of super league clubs like Huddersfield, Salford, Wakefield London. I thought you were an expansionist or is it only Perth? Which I’m behind btw

Perth Red

Post Whore
Small crowds? They’ve played in the lower leagues and have dwarfed all other clubs in these comps. They even outdraw a lot of super league clubs like Huddersfield, Salford, Wakefield London. I thought you were an expansionist or is it only Perth? Which I’m behind btw

im for sustainable expansion. I’ve seen psg, Sheffield, London in various identities and wales come and go in last 20 years. Crowds have been great considering league and new city but not close to being able to bring in revenue to be signing players for $5mill a season. I’ll rejoice if toronto are still in SL in 5 years time.

we’ve never really seen a situation like toronto (maybe broncos in virgin era?) and it’s impossible to say if argyle is a politis or a Tinkler. Time will tell but I have my fingers crossed he knows what he is doing and is in it for the long haul.

Last edited:

Warriors Fever

Juniors
im for sustainable expansion. I’ve seen psg, Sheffield, London in various identities and wales come and go in last 20 years. Crowds have been great considering league and new city but not close to being able to bring in revenue to be signing players for $5mill a season. I’ll rejoice if toronto are still in SL in 5 years time.

we’ve never really seen a situation like toronto (maybe broncos in virgin era?) and it’s impossible to say if argyle is a politis or a Tinkler. Time will tell but I have my fingers crossed he knows what he is doing and is in it for the long haul.
I can understand your reservations but the best thing about toronto is these are all new fans and they’ve been brought in before the Toronto got into the top league. Hopefully the money can stay but I’m hopeful it will have the affect of getting other bids in.

Latest posts