What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

Coffs dragon

Bench
Ever had one of those jobs where your boss is a dickhead and you're endlessly trying to fix his f**k ups, but when you do he still gets all the credit?

Strange thing to knowingly sign up for...
Can only think it's better than being unemployed & it's relatively close to his home. That would be the only reasons you'd want to work under McDeflector.

possm

Coach
Can only think it's better than being unemployed & it's relatively close to his home. That would be the only reasons you'd want to work under McDeflector.

I'm sure Flanagan has secured an agreement that Sheppard will be the interim coach WHEN Mary is sacked this season. Sheppard will be the interm coach until Flanagan is eligible to be appointed.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I'm sure Flanagan has secured an agreement that Sheppard will be the interim coach WHEN Mary is sacked this season. Sheppard will be the interm coach until Flanagan is eligible to be appointed.
That would make sense Possm, but I expect the Young Family may be lurking ready to pounce & position Dean to jump the pecking order queue!

TruSaint

Referee
Will be interesting to see how this thread goes once we have the details and confirmation of the appointment.

Seems to me many think he is going to be our savior, when the problems are much deeper than a potential assistant coach. Granted, he cant do anything until mid December, but we have had zero confirmation from the Club on any aspect of his "imminent" arrival. Length of contract / terms / etc..

To assume that he will take over from Mary, as a "given" is naive at this point.

Bottom line, Mary should have been paid out, and a new coach appointed on a short term contract. The way this deal appears to be structured is a benefit to Flanno and the board. Income security in the short term for both.

A lot of people on here are going on about how Flanno will be the real one in charge etc.
Didn't the NRL say something along the lines of how they will be keeping a close eye on the situation so Flannos position is only of a assistant coach?
You do realise that is a very similar reason to why he got suspended this time round?
He was in touch with the club when he was told by the NRL to keep away.
Do you really think he is going to jeopardise his own career now and be the secret head coach, just for your club????
If you do think that then you don't know Flanno at all.
Flanno said on 100% Footy that he wants to go back to Cronulla one day. At the same time as John Morris' contract is up so is Flannos ban. If the Sharks aren't travelling well it seems like it could be good timing..... that's just a thought, Morris may go gang busters yet.
There is a lot of talk here of "jobs for the boys". Well do you ever think that straight after Goulds review that it was just a coincidence that Flannos name came up?
Goulds very good mate, Wayne Beavis, is Flannos manager. I'm sure Mr. Beavis is happier that Shane will be getting some sort of income. Jobs for the boys, just different boys, on another team.
Anyway, Flanno will be an excellent defensive coach for you guys, it is his specialty.

BLM01

First Grade
A lot of people on here are going on about how Flanno will be the real one in charge etc.
Didn't the NRL say something along the lines of how they will be keeping a close eye on the situation so Flannos position is only of a assistant coach?
You do realise that is a very similar reason to why he got suspended this time round?
Do you really think he is going to jeopardise his own career now and be the secret head coach, just for your club????
Flanno said on 100% Footy that he wants to go back to Cronulla one day. At the same time as John Morris' contract is up so is Flannos ban. If the Sharks aren't travelling well it seems like it could be good timing..... that's just a thought, Morris may go gang busters yet.
There is a lot of talk here of "jobs for the boys". Well do you ever think that straight after Goulds review that it was just a coincidence that Flannos name came up?
Goulds very good mate, Wayne Beavis, is Flannos manager. I'm sure Mr. Beavis is happier that Shane will be getting some sort of income. Jobs for the boys, just different boys, on another team.
Anyway, Flanno will be an excellent defensive coach for you guys, it is his specialty.
All valid points. But what is the definition of a head and assistant coach. Look at Wayne & JD for example.Except with contract registered salary and fronting the media how do you prove it and the NRL dont have a standard job criteria for how an assistant or head coach need to be deployed.
One thing you forget about Flanno and Cronulla. He may want to go back but do the current sponsors and board etc want him back after stuff that he has scarred them with. 2 suspensions and the salary cap problems. He won em a premiership but some of the board / head sponsors changed since then.

All valid points. But what is the definition of a head and assistant coach. Look at Wayne & JD for example.Except with contract registered salary and fronting the media how do you prove it and the NRL dont have a standard job criteria for how an assistant or head coach need to be deployed.
One thing you forget about Flanno and Cronulla. He may want to go back but do the current sponsors and board etc want him back after stuff that he has scarred them with. 2 suspensions and the salary cap problems. He won em a premiership but some of the board / head sponsors changed since then.
In regards to Cronulla, in my opinion, his time is done there. I just threw that in there as an anomaly, for there will be many others before his "time" is up.

I agree that it would be hard to monitor his coaching role, my point was do you think he'll risk his career on it? If it was determined that he has broken the NRL'S "rule" it would be his third strike, and I'd say his last.
He is an extremely competitive bugger so maybe he would chance it but I think this time he won't, just my opinion of course.

Edit: if Mary remains coach then I doubt the NRL would look too Hard, but if he was sacked and Shephard put in, then the NRL WOULD DEFINITELY cast their eye of Saron upon you

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
That would make sense Possm, but I expect the Young Family may be lurking ready to pounce & position Dean to jump the pecking order queue!
So true Coffs. Dean will get to the front of the queue if that happens. The Young's seem to have a lot of power running this club by the looks of things. If they screw up they never get shafted just given a new role if you look at their history.

possm

Coach
Will be interesting to see how this thread goes once we have the details and confirmation of the appointment.

Seems to me many think he is going to be our savior, when the problems are much deeper than a potential assistant coach. Granted, he cant do anything until mid December, but we have had zero confirmation from the Club on any aspect of his "imminent" arrival. Length of contract / terms / etc..

To assume that he will take over from Mary, as a "given" is naive at this point.

Bottom line, Mary should have been paid out, and a new coach appointed on a short term contract. The way this deal appears to be structured is a benefit to Flanno and the board. Income security in the short term for both.
I've always said that that easiest and more proper way of handling this matter is to sack Mary and appoint another experienced coach in his place. With Flanangan as the assistant we would surely do much better.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
In regards to Cronulla, in my opinion, his time is done there. I just threw that in there as an anomaly, for there will be many others before his "time" is up.

I agree that it would be hard to monitor his coaching role, my point was do you think he'll risk his career on it? If it was determined that he has broken the NRL'S "rule" it would be his third strike, and I'd say his last.
He is an extremely competitive bugger so maybe he would chance it but I think this time he won't, just my opinion of course.

Edit: if Mary remains coach then I doubt the NRL would look too Hard, but if he was sacked and Shephard put in, then the NRL WOULD DEFINITELY cast their eye of Saron upon you
Didn't Fanagan and Shephard coach the Sharks to a GF win? Now we have both as assistant coaches watch SGI improve dramatically. Predict the brick wall defence will return and the attacking structure/plan will be much improved. The only problem will be, who will get the credit for this? you and be sure Mary will try to take the credit and Young will have nowhere to hide.

Didn't Fanagan and Shephard coach the Sharks to a GF win? Now we have both as assistant coaches watch SGI improve dramatically. Predict the brick wall defence will return and the attacking structure/plan will be much improved. The only problem will be, who will get the credit for this? you and be sure Mary will try to take the credit and Young will have nowhere to hide.
Your defense will improve.
Ennis, Maloney and Barba ran the attack.
The guys in your spine aren't on the same level as those three were in 2016.

TruSaint

Referee
I've always said that that the easiest and more proper way of handling this matter is to sack Mary and appoint another experienced coach in his place. With Flanangan as the assistant we would surely do much better.

Cant do much worse can we .
My point was, as was highlighted as well with @bad boy bubby , is that the expectation thats its a given he will take over is premature, as Flanno's own words were he would like to return to the Sharks. He will be ultra cautious and stay well within the lane offered as an assistant coach and monitored heavily by the NRL. We, the fans don't have access to the limitations put on his employment. Anyway, it is what it is, and we shall see. Im not a fan of this approach, as a lot can happen in footy in a week, let alone 1-2 years.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Because Ben Barba got caught with cocaine in his system a few days after the GF win that deserves an asterisk?
Interesting summation you have going there.
That and that whole ASADA banning a lot of players for being drug cheats incident..

boardlumps62

Juniors
Are coaches just mercenaries so Flanno and his mate Shepherd do they really give a fig about the Dragons. I like them to Legionnaires but their performance will not result in them being killed.
So what do we have a couple of Mercenaries without a cause. Oh that didn't work I'm back to the Shonkies
Think about that as we go rudderless into 2020.
f**k I have more heart than these blokes I'd just need an assistant that can coach.

Gareth67

First Grade

What you say makes perfect sense - more so when we are prepared to believe and do anything to get out of the misery we have beeen in the last 5 years . I myself cannot see him taking too many risks , more so if it means the end of his coaching career , the man has more brains than that and possibly more than our entire board .

The best that we can hope for is he does indeed improve our defense and give some friendly advice along the way and then once his ban is finished that he continues with the Dragons as the first grade coach , however there are a lot of ifs and buts along the way before then .