What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Ron's_Mate

Bench
O'Farrell's Tigers future uncertain as racing exit looms
By Adam Pengilly
November 7, 2019 — 6.39pm

Wests Tigers could be forced to appoint a third chairman in less than a year with Barry O'Farrell's future at the joint venture expected to come to a head before the start of the NRL season.
The former NSW Premier, who has been linked to Australia's ambassadorial role in India, is poised to leave his position as chief executive of Racing Australia next week with expected ramifications for the Tigers.

The Tigers only announced O'Farrell's appointment as Marina Go's successor in March, just days before the start of the NRL season.
It was expected the appointment would bring significant clout to the club, but it is increasingly likely it will be short-lived as O'Farrell closes in on following a number of former politicians who have overseas government posts.

Tigers officials remained tight-lipped on Thursday about O'Farrell's position, only confirming he was still the club's chairman.
But sources within the racing industry confirmed to the Herald the former Coalition leader was set to stand down from Racing Australia as soon as their upcoming board meeting next week.
The organisation, which is primarily charged with establishing the Australian rules of racing and managing its record-keeping, was ready to launch a search for O'Farrell's replacement amid a welfare crisis engulfing the industry.
O'Farrell, who has also held a directorship of the Sydney Sports and Cricket Ground Trust, took less than a week after assuming the Tigers chairmanship to tell the NRL the club wouldn't be relocated from Sydney as the expansion debate boiled over.
He has also presided over the unification of both sides of the joint venture earlier this year when Balmain's assets were transferred to Ashfield's wealthy Wests Leagues.

O'Farrell insisted the continued stability of the club's financial plight and improvement in on-field performances would be the priorities for the Tigers in 2019.

Michael Maguire's side blew a chance to reach the finals when they went down to the Sharks in Robbie Farah's farewell game at Leichhardt Oval, ultimately winding up in ninth spot.
They have already started the overhaul of their roster releasing star back-rower Ryan Matterson with prop Ben Matulino retiring on medical grounds and could soon have a significant change at the top table.
Just last month O'Farrell suggested prosecutions "should, and I suspect, will occur" after the thoroughbred industry was engulfed in a welfare storm after ABC's 7.30 showed graphic footage of former racehorses being slaughtered in a Queensland abattoir.

Racing Australia released a list of proposed reforms following the program, including each state racing jurisdiction contributing prizemoney to welfare programs and imposing a levy on certain horse sales.
O'Farrell, however, won't see them through.
Racing Australia is grappling with the issue of the whip in horse racing, the topic set to be a major agenda item when the organisation's directors meet in Sydney.
Jockey Michael Walker was hit with one of the largest fines in the Melbourne Cup's history ($10,000) after he was found to have used the whip 12 times on runner-up Prince Of Arran - seven times more than allowed - before the 100-metre mark.
It led to Walker shutting down his social media accounts after he was trolled by animal activists.

O'Farrell could not be contacted on Thursday.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/o-...ain-as-racing-exit-looms-20191107-p538ec.html

Vic Mackey

Referee
O'Farrell's Tigers future uncertain as racing exit looms
By Adam Pengilly
November 7, 2019 — 6.39pm

Wests Tigers could be forced to appoint a third chairman in less than a year with Barry O'Farrell's future at the joint venture expected to come to a head before the start of the NRL season.
The former NSW Premier, who has been linked to Australia's ambassadorial role in India, is poised to leave his position as chief executive of Racing Australia next week with expected ramifications for the Tigers.

The Tigers only announced O'Farrell's appointment as Marina Go's successor in March, just days before the start of the NRL season.
It was expected the appointment would bring significant clout to the club, but it is increasingly likely it will be short-lived as O'Farrell closes in on following a number of former politicians who have overseas government posts.

Tigers officials remained tight-lipped on Thursday about O'Farrell's position, only confirming he was still the club's chairman.
But sources within the racing industry confirmed to the Herald the former Coalition leader was set to stand down from Racing Australia as soon as their upcoming board meeting next week.
The organisation, which is primarily charged with establishing the Australian rules of racing and managing its record-keeping, was ready to launch a search for O'Farrell's replacement amid a welfare crisis engulfing the industry.
O'Farrell, who has also held a directorship of the Sydney Sports and Cricket Ground Trust, took less than a week after assuming the Tigers chairmanship to tell the NRL the club wouldn't be relocated from Sydney as the expansion debate boiled over.
He has also presided over the unification of both sides of the joint venture earlier this year when Balmain's assets were transferred to Ashfield's wealthy Wests Leagues.

O'Farrell insisted the continued stability of the club's financial plight and improvement in on-field performances would be the priorities for the Tigers in 2019.

Michael Maguire's side blew a chance to reach the finals when they went down to the Sharks in Robbie Farah's farewell game at Leichhardt Oval, ultimately winding up in ninth spot.
They have already started the overhaul of their roster releasing star back-rower Ryan Matterson with prop Ben Matulino retiring on medical grounds and could soon have a significant change at the top table.
Just last month O'Farrell suggested prosecutions "should, and I suspect, will occur" after the thoroughbred industry was engulfed in a welfare storm after ABC's 7.30 showed graphic footage of former racehorses being slaughtered in a Queensland abattoir.

Racing Australia released a list of proposed reforms following the program, including each state racing jurisdiction contributing prizemoney to welfare programs and imposing a levy on certain horse sales.
O'Farrell, however, won't see them through.
Racing Australia is grappling with the issue of the whip in horse racing, the topic set to be a major agenda item when the organisation's directors meet in Sydney.
Jockey Michael Walker was hit with one of the largest fines in the Melbourne Cup's history ($10,000) after he was found to have used the whip 12 times on runner-up Prince Of Arran - seven times more than allowed - before the 100-metre mark.
It led to Walker shutting down his social media accounts after he was trolled by animal activists.

O'Farrell could not be contacted on Thursday.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/o-...ain-as-racing-exit-looms-20191107-p538ec.html

Had high hopes for Barry, hard to judge after 12 months but I haven’t felt like we’ve benefited from any of his (supposed) connections

Tigerm

First Grade
We gotta sign someone with an X factor play in there game, there are not too many available and we are in a position to afford him, so I think he may be worth a shot.
As others have said, Madge should know his pro's and con's and do what is best.
I see that A Mundine is getting into LM's ear, which I think will ruin him, so hopefully we now pass on him.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/2927508e7be5ee35139a5f03693a7880

Wests Tigers firm in chase for Latrell Mitchell after Canterbury officially withdraw interest
Wests Tigers have $1.7 million in available salary cap space for next season and are planning an audacious bid to make Latrell Mitchell the biggest signing in the NRL joint venture’s history.

When Wests Tigers lost former golden boy James Tedesco to the Sydney Roosters there was nothing they could do about it.

Now it’s time for the ultimate revenge.

In an ironic twist of fate, the cashed-up Tigers have emerged as the new favourites to land Latrell Mitchell.

The Tigers could find revenge on the Roosters for poaching James Tedesco. Picture: Phil Hillyard
This development comes after rivals Canterbury officially withdrew from the contract race that is fast developing into a circus.

The Bulldogs had been viewed as a significant player for the 22-year-old Test centre after Mitchell met with board member George Coorey during the finals series.

But a meeting of the club’s football retention committee on Friday afternoon determined the Dogs would now look elsewhere.

Chief executive Andrew Hill told The Saturday Telegraph: “Usually we don’t make comment around our recruitment and retention strategies.

“However, with all the speculation around this matter we thought it was the right thing to do by everyone to confirm we won’t pursue an interest in Latrell Mitchell.”

But with a stack of rival clubs still circling, the Tigers have jumped to the top of the queue.

The fact is they have $1.7 million in available salary cap space for next season and are planning an audacious bid to make Mitchell the biggest signing in the joint venture’s history.

While the two parties are yet to meet directly, that is expected to change in the coming days when coach Michael Maguire completes his commitments with the New Zealand Test team.

Although Mitchell still has a year to run on his current Roosters contract, the reigning premiers would not stand in his way after pulling an $800,000-a-season offer this week.

There is no doubt some other rival clubs are also baulking at Mitchell’s $1 million-a-season asking price, especially given concerns about Mitchell’s current mindset.

There are sections at the Roosters who have been extremely disappointed with Mitchell’s attitude for some time now.

Alarm bells certainly went to the next level when the Roosters found out about Mitchell’s meeting with Coorey.

There were also eyebrows raised when Mitchell arrived late in the season driving a mystery Mercedes sports car, valued in the vicinity of $250,000.

Powerful Roosters chairman Nick Politis, who amassed a substantial part of his $1 billion fortune in the motor vehicle industry, was said to be curious given he had no knowledge of where the flash car came from.

But rather than focus on the negatives, the Tigers see this as a generational opportunity for their club.

The fact is the Tigers are sick of making up the numbers year after year and want to put a team on the paddock next year that can seriously challenge for the title.
Mitchell tore the Tigers apart in the two games he played against them this year, while his goal kicking would also be a massive bonus.

The Tigers dropped several games this year directly because of their poor conversion rate, which would have had them pushing for a top four finish.

The Tigers also view Mitchell as the type of player who could help attract other world class players, while boosting membership and sponsorship revenue.

The Tigers are also said to be chasing another gun outside back and a top edge backrower for next year, and even if they miss out on Mitchell they plan to hit the market hard over summer.

While some people are privately questioning if Maguire’s hard core training regime could be too tough for the at times temperamental Mitchell, the Tigers see this as another positive given Maguire’s history with Greg Inglis.

A big part of the Tigers’ sell no doubt will be based around the fact Maguire knows what it takes to make Mitchell a world class No 1, but it won’t come without hard work.

There is even talk that Mitchell may have been a bit jealous playing second-fiddle to Tedesco in recent times, and that is why he wants to play fullback.

This potential move would not only allow him the chance to become the main man but also help lead a club with the longest NRL finals drought back into the big time arena.

North Queensland is the other club still right in the hunt but going against the Cowboys is that Mitchell wants to play fullback.

Given the Cowboys are also favourites to secure Valentine Holmes when he returns home from the NFL, that could be the deal breaker.

Another bonus for the Tigers is that Adam Hartigan is head of football, having a previously strong relationship with Mitchell during their days together at the Roosters.

macnaz

Staff member
Jad and Mitchell would make the world of difference to our side.
Even average forwards would play above their abilities when they have backs to finnish of their good work.
Just to elaborate... in 2005 we had very much a small pack of working forwards BUT when it counted they knew if they held their own they had the guys in the backs to capitalize on their effort.
Currently even if they busted their arse our backs have very very little to offer.
We can only hope that oneday we can have those special players again to take us to the level of competing for a title.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Just to elaborate... in 2005 we had very much a small pack of working forwards BUT when it counted they knew if they held their own they had the guys in the backs to capitalize on their effort.
Currently even if they busted their arse our backs have very very little to offer.
We can only hope that oneday we can have those special players again to take us to the level of competing for a title.

Our 05 pack was insanely under rated. I know the spine won us the Comp but in that run (and particularly the finals) our pack came up against virtual Origin and International packs every week and held their own. We had a lot of variation aswell, the likes of Galea, Fulton, Payten and ONeil all having good passing games and Skandalis/Laffranchi offloading at will.

I also read a while back that we had the best ‘scramble defence’ that year. I believe it’s measured by NOT conceding a try after a line break was made in that set. So even though we might have given a few breaks up everyone got there to help their mate out

Latrell at the back and JAC back?

Yeah thanks. At least we'll have some strike power in the backs when the forwards make a dent.

Fordy20

Juniors
With all these clubs pulling out of chasing Mitchell, surely we should be able to pick him up a bit cheaper than 800k a season.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I just don’t see us signing a guy like Latrell Mitchell, even if we do offer big overs. I know he’s a risk but the guy is a genuine superstar of our game. It would be, easily, the biggest signing the club has ever made. As much as I hate to say it we are an extremely unattractive proposition for a good level NRL player, let alone a current Australian representative. As a fan Ive just accepted that we don’t get guys like that.

The unknown

Juniors
I think you guys are seriously overrating LM. To me he would be like another Adam Blair signing, just doesn't seem to have the ticker.

I've seen him play games for the Roosters this year where he would not even take a hit up for the first 25 minutes.

But that's just my opinion. In a system like the Roosters he's protected. Would get found out massively at a plod club like ours

Could you imagine him going from World class players Keary, Cronk, Tedesco to being fed ball by Brooks, Marshall and Thompson?

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
I'd rather we stick with Thompson for another year rather than making a huge play for LM. If he comes to Tigers it would be his last choice. You can bet the house he won't play to his full potential and we will have another former star plodding away taking up a huge chunk of our cap

Tigerm

First Grade
I'd rather we stick with Thompson for another year rather than making a huge play for LM. If he comes to Tigers it would be his last choice. You can bet the house he won't play to his full potential and we will have another former star plodding away taking up a huge chunk of our cap
I think we are the last & only choice.
He is not a "former" star, he is a current super star at his best.
But I just don't like the fact he has Mundine whispering in his ear, I think that will cause him trouble.
Madge has worked with lazy talented players before and got their best, so I guess I will trust his opinion.

macnaz

Staff member
I think if we signed LM and he was under performing the club wouldnt have any problem offloading him if it came to that, just like Materson and Suli . So he isnt the same gamble as washed players like Reynolds, Packer and co that no one else would want.

Tigerm

First Grade
I think if we signed LM and he was under performing the club wouldnt have any problem offloading him if it came to that, just like Materson and Suli . So he isnt the same gamble as washed players like Reynolds, Packer and co that no one else would want.
If we got him, that game against the roosters would be interesting, wouldn't it.

Latest posts