What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Lions Tour on sale today + Eden Park schedule confirmed

Burns

First Grade
This match has zero energy or hype behind it. Will be a lucky to get 10,000

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Crack up on the news the other night when the leading story was SBW. So they interviewed Shaun Johnson and there was zero discussion about the game this weekend.

There has been bugger all media attention for the game and I see the NZRL are trying to push the $20 tickets.

It surprising as CHCH have historically turned out for league games.

yakstorm

First Grade
I guess what are they playing for? New Zealand can't technically 'lose the series' as it is only two games, there isn't any clear 'World Ranking' points on offer, the GB coach has said he is using the series to build the England spine for the 2021 World Cup, etc, and Duco seem to have no clue how to promote an event.

The Great Britain concept just hasn't worked... Not surprisingly, last time NZ welcomed a GB tour was 96' and it wasn't what you call amazingly attended, and whilst GB also visited NZ in 99' and 06'... so for many many many Rugby League fans in NZ they have potentially never seen the Lion tour before, and for those that did, it's not like there was the same romanticism for Tests between GB and NZ as GB and Australia.

England would have at least been easier to promote, arguably last week at Eden Park could have been sold as 'getting revenge' as the Union World Cup on top of the whole playing for World Rankings, squaring the ledger after last year's tour of England by the Kiwis, etc. etc.

adamkungl

Immortal
Now with the Kangaroo 'Ashes' tour announced for next year with 3 matches vs England, we have senior figures in the game and journalists and fans asking "Why is this England and not GB"

All this has done is muddy the waters, kill England's off-field momentum, and introduce more bitching and moaning into the international game.
And for what? A blue stripe and Lachlan Coote.

Well done RFL.

Rhyno

First Grade
Shows how weak England are when Aussie 5/8 Blake Austin has to play on the wing

Matua

Bench
I guess what are they playing for? New Zealand can't technically 'lose the series' as it is only two games, there isn't any clear 'World Ranking' points on offer, the GB coach has said he is using the series to build the England spine for the 2021 World Cup, etc, and Duco seem to have no clue how to promote an event.

The Great Britain concept just hasn't worked... Not surprisingly, last time NZ welcomed a GB tour was 96' and it wasn't what you call amazingly attended, and whilst GB also visited NZ in 99' and 06'... so for many many many Rugby League fans in NZ they have potentially never seen the Lion tour before, and for those that did, it's not like there was the same romanticism for Tests between GB and NZ as GB and Australia.

England would have at least been easier to promote, arguably last week at Eden Park could have been sold as 'getting revenge' as the Union World Cup on top of the whole playing for World Rankings, squaring the ledger after last year's tour of England by the Kiwis, etc. etc.
I don't know how true this - I always remember the Kiwis playing Great Britain, it's only been much recently that it's just been England.

I have great memories of the old Great Britain tours, aside from how much of a dirty prick Mike Gregory was.

geordie_saint

Juniors
Shows how weak England are when Aussie 5/8 Blake Austin has to play on the wing

There are a number of wingers available who could (and should) have been selected rather than about 5/6 halfbacks. Charnley, J Burgess, Evalds, Grace et al (even Rhys Williams!) could all over stepped up... throw in the fact they left it too late to call up Handley has left the team in this predicament. Poor management rather than lack of depth.

deluded pom?

Coach
I don't know how true this - I always remember the Kiwis playing Great Britain, it's only been much recently that it's just been England.

I have great memories of the old Great Britain tours, aside from how much of a dirty prick Mike Gregory was.
Do you have the right player there? I’d never have Mike Gregory down as a dirty player in a million years.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Interesting that historically NZ vs GB in Chch has always struggled to attracted crowds:

1920: England 19 Kiwis 3. (Lancaster Park). Crowd: 10,000.

1928: England 6 Kiwis 5 (English Park). Crowd: 21,000.

1932: England 25 Kiwis 14 (Monica Park). Crowd: 5000.

1950: Kiwis 15 Great Britain 10 (Addington Showgrounds) Crowd: 10,000.

1970: Great Britain 23 Kiwis 9 (Addington) Crowd: 8600.

1974: Great Britain 17 Kiwis 8 (Addington) Crowd: 6316.

1977: Great Britain 30 Kiwis 12 (Addington) Crowd: 9800. (World Cup game).

1979: Great Britain 22 Kiwis 7 (Addington) Crowd: 8500.

1984: Kiwis 28 Great Britain 12 (Addington) Crowd: 9824.

1988: Kiwis 12 Great Britain 10 (Addington) Crowd: 8525.

1990: Kiwis 21 Great Britain 18 (QEII Stadium) Crowd: 3133.

1996: Kiwis 32 Great Britain 12 (Lancaster Park) Crowd: 9000.

2006: Kiwis 18 Great Britain 14 (Lancaster Park) Crowd: 17,005.

pixel

deluded pom?

Coach
Mike Gregory was a fair haired back rower probably best known down under for the try he scored against Australia in the 3rd Test in 1988.

Latest posts