What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factional alignment between STG & Illawarra tanking team over power struggle

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Nothing we say on here will fix anything one way or another, but bloody hell factional wars, infighting and a general sense of doom and gloom are taking things way too far. We just had a crap year, it happens. I’m sure that next year we will go better than this year and the earth will continue to rotate.

Reactions: jak

18to87

First Grade
Nothing we say on here will fix anything one way or another, but bloody hell factional wars, infighting and a general sense of doom and gloom are taking things way too far. We just had a crap year, it happens. I’m sure that next year we will go better than this year and the earth will continue to rotate.
It is difficult for us all to sit by and watch the club repeatedly make the same mistakes. There is not much we can do other than not giving our money to the club.
How many times will they re-arrange the staff around McGregor? It's already been too many times. Now they seem to have an all-star cast around him and if they do improve, we all know who will take the credit.
I agree the side will go better next year, but there is no indication that McGregor has the coaching ability for the first-grade side to reach their potential. I think that is all that we as fans want - the side to play to the level we all know they are capable of. Maybe Flanagan will be the key addition to make that happen.

TruSaint

Referee

Forbes, yes you are correct that our whinging here won't charge anything, but mate, its not 1 bad year. Its going onto a decade of failure. A finals appearance every now and then doesn't cut it. Just avoiding the spoon isn't a poor year, its a farce.

If it was just one off year, I doubt the fans would rebel as they have, as reflected by the lowest attendances in the NRL.

Based on the existing roster, I think you are being optimistic that next year will be much better.
Just my opinion.

Old Timer

Coach
In a nutshell the club is poor in almost every single facet of what it does.
Regardless of the reasons why, unless something monumental changes in the heir achy in respect of accountability, honesty and openness we will continue to be a club that wallows.
There is no hint of change and just more of the same to look forward to.
I remember suggesting that we would ultimately end up in this kind of space some 3 years or so back and was howled down and told to stop being negative.
Well just about all of those people are now also of the same belief.
Hoping or wishing for change is one thing whether you will get it is another.
The tragedy in all of this is that some very good footballers wearing our jersey are never going to achieve their highest potential let alone win a comp.
Careers are going to be ended before they get started and that is unfair to the players and to the fans.
In the end there is nothing to say that the STGI joint venture has turned either club into a professional outfit that can match it with the big end of town and all sides are guilty.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Regardless of the reasons why, unless something monumental changes in the heir achy in respect of accountability, honesty and openness we will continue to be a club that wallows.
I remember suggesting that we would ultimately end up in this kind of space some 3 years or so back and was howled down and told to stop being negative.
The tragedy in all of this is that some very good footballers wearing our jersey are never going to achieve their highest potential let alone win a comp.
Careers are going to be ended before they get started and that is unfair to the players and to the fans.
In the end there is nothing to say that the STGI joint venture has turned either club into a professional outfit that can match it with the big end of town and all sides are guilty.
It is certainly not a well oiled machine but we will be back again, I actually like the appointments they made, even the meditation guy. I spent a fair chunk of today researching each one of those new staff and they actually look really good. If they can still be there after Mary eventually goes to the glue factory then I really do think we will be in good shape.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Forbes, yes you are correct that our whinging here won't charge anything, but mate, its not 1 bad year. Its going onto a decade of failure. A finals appearance every now and then doesn't cut it. Just avoiding the spoon isn't a poor year, its a farce.

If it was just one off year, I doubt the fans would rebel as they have, as reflected by the lowest attendances in the NRL.

Based on the existing roster, I think you are being optimistic that next year will be much better.
Just my opinion.
I am probably a bit over optimistic by nature but I don't know why but im actually looking forward to following an underdog team with no pressure and just to enjoy seeing if we can scrap in games and exceed expectations a bit.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Nice piece there OT.

I do hold belief, however small, that this latest 'review' has highlighted the very point you made in how poorly we are run as a club. Unfortunately, the fishes head in this case is not rotting, it never will at the Dragons Board level, but the realization that acceptance of the status quo cannot remain given the year they had. There are some shrewd appointments in that review, particularly around training etc, and yes they totally F#^%ed up the re-signing of McGregor and they would never admit that but the staff coming in, I feel, have been appointed with a goal in mind.
The most stunning slap in the face to the club was Gould's statement about culture and leadership. Again, this is a direct reference to the club's lack of foresight and acceptance of mediocracy, as long as the memberships flow, the pigs will swill in the trough. To have to hire someone to create or amend our culture is almost laughable given our history and brand.
The hierarchy should hang their heads in shame at this! no wonder they have been silent.

Old Timer

Coach
Nice piece there OT.

I do hold belief, however small, that this latest 'review' has highlighted the very point you made in how poorly we are run as a club. Unfortunately, the fishes head in this case is not rotting, it never will at the Dragons Board level, but the realization that acceptance of the status quo cannot remain given the year they had. There are some shrewd appointments in that review, particularly around training etc, and yes they totally F#^%ed up the re-signing of McGregor and they would never admit that but the staff coming in, I feel, have been appointed with a goal in mind.
The most stunning slap in the face to the club was Gould's statement about culture and leadership. Again, this is a direct reference to the club's lack of foresight and acceptance of mediocracy, as long as the memberships flow, the pigs will swill in the trough. To have to hire someone to create or amend our culture is almost laughable given our history and brand.
The hierarchy should hang their heads in shame at this! no wonder they have been silent.
Unfortunately so many appointments have looked good initially but it all breaks down very quickly
No matter how good the staff in the lower ranks might be the fact remains above them sits mediocrity and it is well and truly cemented in place.
An organisation that has best practice would look instantly for the road block in the system and deal with it first and that is what we fail to do.
The roadblock remains and we employ detours that all lead back to it anyway.

D4L_Dave

Juniors
There are a few players we let go not signed else where. I'm saying it now but if any of them end up in either a tri colour or the less likely a chocolate colour jersey we will know exactly how it happened, Phill Gould. He has done it before and I am deeply suspicious why someone unattached to the club would do something for free without a motive. I really do hope i I am wrong coz that would indicate willful incompetence

BBTB

Juniors
Nice piece there OT.

Our front office, are likened to a plague parasites, that pick a fat , juicy, target.
Then suck the life out
of it....growing fat& lazy themselves.
Only moving on , when nothing is left

Dragon David

First Grade
Unfortunately so many appointments have looked good initially but it all breaks down very quickly
No matter how good the staff in the lower ranks might be the fact remains above them sits mediocrity and it is well and truly cemented in place.
An organisation that has best practice would look instantly for the road block in the system and deal with it first and that is what we fail to do.
The roadblock remains and we employ detours that all lead back to it anyway.
To me, you make so much sense with what you say Old Timer. For the life of me what in blazes has this useless rabble been up to these past 8 years

Old Timer

Coach
To me, you make so much sense with what you say Old Timer. For the life of me what in blazes has this useless rabble been up to these past 8 years
That is indeed a great question and unfortunately the answer is all too obvious.
I can't think of a boardroom in either private or public hands that would be so apathetic in its approach to all things unless of course they merely want to drive their asset into liquidation or for it to become listed as an expression of interest for some other party with similar goals to acquire it for little more than fob pocket change.

Dragon David

First Grade
Sorry, I hit the post reply too soon.
Their lack of accountability and their blinkered outlook over those years say that they are immensely incompetent to run the club. The JV and the guys who are a part of the running of it have caused untold damage to the future of the club.
I've become very dejected to be a fan of the Dragons and unfortunately cannot see us getting into a grand final for many years even with changes - which will continue for quite a while no doubt. Even given our great past, the desire of wanting to play for the Dragons is long gone. In my opinion, we are just not that attractive anymore to sign up quality players.
I'm deadset saddened to have said what I wrote and it is a pity!!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Hope your right FCD but keep in mind, any good team heading in the right direction normally has a settled club with the right people on board, pointing them in the right direction.

Our club is not unlike The Talking Heads classic song, Road To Nowhere.

Latest posts