What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

twinkletoes

Juniors
My greatest complaint is that we have had literally no communication from the club on anything since the end of the season
1.Gould review - not made public
2. Internal review of football department - not made public
3. Coaching structure for all 3 grades in 2019 - not made public. Flanaghans employment is only heresay at this stage and not confirmed by club
4. Players leaving - not made public
5. Player signings - not made public, apart from 1 titbit from Millward
6 Commencement date for pre-season training - not made public

Its as if the supporters do not have any right to know what is happening...the club seems to be in total lockdown in terms of informing supporters...absolute disgrace

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
My greatest complaint is that we have had literally no communication from the club on anything since the end of the season
3. Coaching structure for all 3 grades in 2019 - not made public. Flanaghans employment is only heresay at this stage and not confirmed by club

Its as if the supporters do not have any right to know what is happening...the club seems to be in total lockdown in terms of informing supporters...absolute disgrace
Are you a member?

Bench
The CEO and the Board, the coaching and recruitment have destroyed the culture and history of our club.
We are in a hole with attracting any decent player because I feel most players would want to go a team with a decent coach and a strong chance to be considered as potential premiership squad.
There is no point in paying overs to attract players, these players chase the money,
It is going to take years to regain the culture of what made our club what it was way back when.
It better happen soon Father Time is at my doorstep

BLM01

First Grade

I'll do my best to answer your concerns.
1. We have no or need to identify our culture and our DNA as a team. That is all he needed to say and we hear. And Mary is gone..eventually but sooner than anticipated.
2. Why should it. You will only get the feel good stuff like how we are hurting and things will be changed, shook up to ensure it does not happen again. Waste of time to listen to these as a supporter
3 & 6. Flanno, Sheppherd has started and so has training for more than a week for the young brigade. Where is Mary?...no where to be found
4. We know now and read their website who is the Top 24, then deduct this from 30 and then look at last years top squad and deduce who's face does not appear in the 24 for this year. It's easy really and the Dragons way.of putting out a press release.
5. You answered your own question. They made public the only signings over the line.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Do you think the way the Dragons and Mary's handling of the DeBelin saga would be the big factor why other players are keeping away from the club.

If JDB gets convicted and jailed for 10+ years the club look like the supported a criminal. If he escapes the charges they look like they supported an innocent man. Until then though nobody wants to touch the club until this is finalised. Players have girlfriends//wives so they would not want their man training with a team that has a potential criminal in the squad.

Having him train with the team is pretty poor. He is taking the place of another potential player from the lower grades training with the top squad. So lets train a guy who is not going to play first grade rather than a guy that can play. Top coaching there. As a junior wanting to break into the side how sad is that?

Saints have really dealt with this poorly and continue to do so. They say no player is bigger than the club, well the Saints are proving that theory wrong. I just hope for their sake he gets off. Lets support this guy and when the $hit hits the fan blame him for the poor season.

The Storm got premierships stripped and basically caught cheating yet handled that better and that impacted the whole team not 1 player. They didn't miss a beat actually and continued to be finals contenders. That is good strong leadership from all parts of the club.

possm

Coach
Absolutely no chance of that happening.
Anyone who thinks that Gould would put his name to something without knowing the outcome has rocks in their heads.
Gould would have said to the CEO, if I endorse this review then nothing changes until the end of the season when I do my next review.
Gould's ego wouldn't allow for people to say he got it wrong before the season started and he will simply say that despite best efforts for the entire season Mc Gregor couldn't install the correct DNA into the squad despite having the requisite skills to coach.
Mc Gregor's failures as a coach will be disguised as the squad not responding to being "Dragon's"
Maybe I should have said 'resign or sacked'. No big deal for Gould unless he is coming to SGI as coaching director. It's funny how Gould sacks Griffin who has the Panthers in the top four because he believed Griffin could not win a GF. Then backs Mary who can't steer SGI to the top 8.

Gould did his job as directed by the CEO who was directed by the Board. So job done move on to bigger and better things.

possm

Coach
Do you think the way the Dragons and Mary's handling of the DeBelin saga would be the big factor why other players are keeping away from the club.

If JDB gets convicted and jailed for 10+ years the club look like the supported a criminal. If he escapes the charges they look like they supported an innocent man. Until then though nobody wants to touch the club until this is finalised. Players have girlfriends//wives so they would not want their man training with a team that has a potential criminal in the squad.

Having him train with the team is pretty poor. He is taking the place of another potential player from the lower grades training with the top squad. So lets train a guy who is not going to play first grade rather than a guy that can play. Top coaching there. As a junior wanting to break into the side how sad is that?

Saints have really dealt with this poorly and continue to do so. They say no player is bigger than the club, well the Saints are proving that theory wrong. I just hope for their sake he gets off. Lets support this guy and when the $hit hits the fan blame him for the poor season.

The Storm got premierships stripped and basically caught cheating yet handled that better and that impacted the whole team not 1 player. They didn't miss a beat actually and continued to be finals contenders. That is good strong leadership from all parts of the club.
With regards to this matter, it never have been the case that SGI looked like anything. It should have always been that the NRL who changed the rules and applied hem retrospectively, take full responsibility by assuming the contract liability, suspending De Belin and crediting SGI's salary cap.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

I’m sure they learned from the JDB situation but I’m not sure they could have done much differently. Sack him and players that support him will be disgruntled and quit, then if he’s not guilty he can sue their arses off. Another option is they exclude him from the group, he goes into depression and tops himself, that wouldn’t give us the greatest season either. The main thing for me is that they really factored in for him to play and when he didn’t that derailed them. Hopefully this year they treat him as not playing and if he does it’s just a bonus.

Wittenberg

Juniors

Have we signed someone? Anyone?

Wittenberg

Juniors
I’m sure they learned from the JDB situation but I’m not sure they could have done much differently. Sack him and players that support him will be disgruntled and quit, then if he’s not guilty he can sue their arses off. Another option is they exclude him from the group, he goes into depression and tops himself, that wouldn’t give us the greatest season either. The main thing for me is that they really factored in for him to play and when he didn’t that derailed them. Hopefully this year they treat him as not playing and if he does it’s just a bonus.
The Club is still stuck in a terrible position with the matter. Again we are hampered with utilising our Salary Cap due to the JDB fiasco. Possibly close to $1m will have been tied up this year and next with Jack's situation. We sit and were hampered by having a percentage of Jack's salary tied up this season and it might be repeated in 2020 while every club under the sun successfully applies for a dispensation due to a player injury.

Reactions: jak

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The Club is still stuck in a terrible position with the matter. Again we are hampered with utilising our Salary Cap due to the JDB fiasco. Possibly close to $1m will have been tied up this year and next with Jack's situation. We sit and were hampered by having a percentage of Jack's salary tied up this season and it might be repeated in 2020 while every club under the sun successfully applies for a dispensation due to a player injury.
Yeah it sucks, and if say worst case scenario he is jailed. This will have a pretty bad effect on morale, plus no one left to fill his shoes. Our best hope is he is cleared and the true story comes out which no one has a clue about.

qld redvee

Juniors
Yeah it sucks, and if say worst case scenario he is jailed. This will have a pretty bad effect on morale, plus no one left to fill his shoes. Our best hope is he is cleared and the true story comes out which no one has a clue about.
FCD, We need to "claim" JDB salary as of now for dispensation up to the outcome of the trial . At least we will get something . I would be guying hard for capewell as a kaufusi/ JDB replacement and Im sure we could afford him . If we are tight for the cap then Mary should be told we cant afford luke as we know mary will not take mcinness off for a spell ( plus we have lovadua that can play hooker ) And we need to buy a centre or 2 that can put pressure on our 2 current hopeless but never dropped centres.

Wittenberg

Juniors
FCD, We need to "claim" JDB salary as of now for dispensation up to the outcome of the trial . At least we will get something . I would be guying hard for capewell as a kaufusi/ JDB replacement and Im sure we could afford him . If we are tight for the cap then Mary should be told we cant afford luke as we know mary will not take mcinness off for a spell ( plus we have lovadua that can play hooker ) And we need to buy a centre or 2 that can put pressure on our 2 current hopeless but never dropped centres.
We need to keep the centre we have in Lomax first.

qld redvee

Juniors
We need to keep the centre we have in Lomax first.
Certainly do need to keep Lomax 100% agree .. BUT if mary has decided to give him the fullback job then this is where we need to get the other centres to hopefully oust what we have .
George and co whats your take on Lomax at fullback is he quick enough ? I think he has the smarts to play there not sure if its Zacs better position

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Have we signed someone? Anyone?

Every League reporter I've read has stated that SGI can only offer basic contracts to the six remaining players silly enough to join this club. This means that we have massively overpaid for the players we've already signed. We will only be able to afford players like Luke who are at the end of their playing careers or untried players from CC or age competitions.

Whichever way you spin it, with apologies to Winnie, never in the course of SGI history was so much paid by so few to so many undeserving players.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Certainly do need to keep Lomax 100% agree .. BUT if mary has decided to give him the fullback job then this is where we need to get the other centres to hopefully oust what we have .
George and co whats your take on Lomax at fullback is he quick enough ? I think he has the smarts to play there not sure if its Zacs better position
I do think he has enough pace, although it is a concern, but he is a big unit and will get bigger.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
With regards to this matter, it never have been the case that SGI looked like anything. It should have always been that the NRL who changed the rules and applied hem retrospectively, take full responsibility by assuming the contract liability, suspending De Belin and crediting SGI's salary cap.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I doubt it would occur to the worthies on the SGI Board, but we now have a capable ARLC Chairman in Peter Vlandys replacing that buffoon Peter Beattie. I'd be bypassing Greenberg and knocking on Vlandys door and demanding precisely what you and I have both argued ie the League should be treating De Belin as a special case and, until his suspension is lifted, his contract is exempt from the SGI salary cap. If it means that a temporary replacement player has to be paid out as a result of De Belin being reinstated at some point in 2020, the League should be responsible for the payout of this players contract.

nontime111

Juniors
Id love to see this backline sooner than later:

Schiller or Dufty till hes ready
Sailor
Lomax
Ramsey or Ravalawa till hes ready
Saab
Norman
Hunt

and if they all come good get rid of Norman or Hunt for 2021 and have this lot:

Schiller
Ravalawa
Lomax
Ramsey
Saab
Sailor
Hunt? Sullivan? Norman? with the money saved on 'superstars' we could get another gun on top also maybe?

Last edited: