What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Football department review finalised

TruSaint

Referee
Agree 100% smarty
But there is a lot of players of contract , who will be keen to impress. And if we get off to a good start people will forget problems with had I know you won't but .
If Mary goes and the board stays as it is we will have the same problem in the future .

Players will play for their contracts, either with us or elsewhere.
You are 100% correct.

Mary is a result of a deeper problem. The vision of the board.

Saint Pedro

Juniors
The fitness fella has a very good background, 11 seasons with arguably the most successful club of the last 20 years Melbourne. Flanagan Is going to be our Best Buy for the next few years. He is a hard nut who will bring some hard decisions finally into the coaching box. McGregor is a big pussy cat, Flanagan is just a big merkin which is what Saint George needs.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Friggen hell. 24 players and still no wriggle room in the cap.
Hunt, Frizzell, Norman, T Sims, JDB, McInnes, Graham, Vaughan - I'd guess 5.5-6 mill there.
Aitken, Lafai, K Sims, Dufty, Leilua..1.5 - 1.8 mill (13 out of 30) and say min 7 mill gone
Of course I have not a clue andf guessing on current market values being bandied around in the media and there would be 3rd party stuff but I can see why.we are struggling
We are too forward top heavy in regards to salary market value so the balance is not there and why our fringe reggies depth and back 5 (or other 17) would have to be on base or near minimum salary and are not up to it.

I'm definitely no salary cap expert, but from what I can figure is that we have about $1.1m to play with to fit 6 players.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The fitness fella has a very good background, 11 seasons with arguably the most successful club of the last 20 years Melbourne. Flanagan Is going to be our Best Buy for the next few years. He is a hard nut who will bring some hard decisions finally into the coaching box. McGregor is a big pussy cat, Flanagan is just a big merkin which is what Saint George needs.

Agree. There were only 3 positives to come from that "review" imo.

Jimenez will bring some much needed grunt to fitness and training, from what I can gather he's a real hard nose and accepts no slackening off. He'll push them to their limits and then some.
Obviously, the due diligence is around Flannagan and I agree once he's on board he'll also bring some hard nosed approach to training and eventually decision making.
Shepherds appointment seems more like a puppet approach to assist Flannagan, but I see that as a positive.

This trio, Jimenez, Flannagan and Shepherd should have some long lasting effects on our squad away from the 'pussy cat' with the title. Each of them come from successful premiership backgrounds.

BLM01

First Grade
I'm definitely no salary cap expert, but from what I can figure is that we have about $1.1m to play with to fit 6 players.
As I said. I can see why no marques. We have too many higher demanding money forwards..and that is Mary all over the power team he wanted which played powerless for a lot of last year!
How he has survived...well we know why..$$$$...but how he was extended after a lucky start in 2019 and 85 mins from a GF in 18...will always remain one of the worst knee jerk poor thought decisions from an NRL club this decade.
And trhis club have made a plethora of these decisions since non extending Bennett before 2011.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So six bargain basement buys from the reject shop it is.:weary:

Probably, or those with "previous NRL experience".

Taking a look at the unsigned brigade these are what's left:

Aaron Gray, Brenko Lee, Gideon Gela-Mosby, Greg Leleisiuao, Tyrone Phillips, Marwene Hiroti, John Olive, Kurt Capewell, Javid Bowen, Enari Tuala, Brad Abbey, Josh Hoffman, Troy Gagan, George Fai, Jamie Buhrer, Hame Sele. Isaac Luke.

Besides Leleisiuao and Hiroti, the rest have played 1st grade. I also haven't included Nene McDonald as I'm unsure if he could get registered.

Out of that list, Capewell would be my first choice.

But you can see the "shopping cart" is definitely, low budget.

Dea

Juniors
“All aspects of the Dragons' football department were examined throughout this comprehensive internal and external review process.“

LIE. McGregor’s performance as head coach was never reviewed.

I have no hope for my Dragons while he remains in charge but nor do I have a belief the club will more him on before the end of his contract and based upon their previous and current practices, they are just as likely to give him another extension!!

getsmarty

Immortal
Agree 100% smarty
But there is a lot of players of contract , who will be keen to impress. And if we get off to a good start people will forget problems we have, I know you won't but .
If Mary goes and the board stays as it is we will have the same problem in the future .

Agree Samy...McGregor is the easier of the 2 to sort out in the short term....

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Probably, or those with "previous NRL experience".

Taking a look at the unsigned brigade these are what's left:

Aaron Gray, Brenko Lee, Gideon Gela-Mosby, Greg Leleisiuao, Tyrone Phillips, Marwene Hiroti, John Olive, Kurt Capewell, Javid Bowen, Enari Tuala, Brad Abbey, Josh Hoffman, Troy Gagan, George Fai, Jamie Buhrer, Hame Sele. Isaac Luke.

Besides Leleisiuao and Hiroti, the rest have played 1st grade. I also haven't included Nene McDonald as I'm unsure if he could get registered.

Out of that list, Capewell would be my first choice.

But you can see the "shopping cart" is definitely, low budget.

Are there any established wingers in that lot? God knows, SGI need a couple right now.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Are there any established wingers in that lot? God knows, SGI need a couple right now.

Jimmy no established wingers but Copeland has played their succesfully for the Sharks but is the better centre in my opinion very versatile player would be worth getting. I have a feeling we won't be getting anybody of significance. Could be wrong though

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Jimmy no established wingers but Copeland has played their succesfully for the Sharks but is the better centre in my opinion very versatile player would be worth getting. Did I have a feeling we won't be something anybody I'll significance. Could be wrong though

Copeland? Did you mean Capewell instead?

I anticipate the club has concluded his off-season “buying spree” any day now.