What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How pointless were the 'GB Lions' and this Tour

Burns

First Grade
Beaten by Tonga
Beaten by Kiwis x2

Only managed to score, what, 3 tries across all the games?

May very well get beat by PNG next week

I mean, really, who could have predicted this slow moving car crash of a Tour.

'England' have not played since 2018. What a wasted year. They are in a steep decline, and will be long odds for Australia's tour next year.

Who was responsible for this Tour? The RFL? Someone should resign. What a waste.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
The fact Bennett had four halves in the team and hasn't changed them during the three games is unbelievable.

Even tonight's try was handed to them by the referee.

Hard to gauge as England/GB have always struggled in NZ. In saying that this GB tour is a black mark in the proud history of the lions.

NRLMad

Juniors
Scheduling has been not the best but at the end of the day every team needs to play more international games to improve. You can see that Widdop is no longer the player he was. He was amazing before this years injury. I think they are also missing burgess and having an aging team. Hastings I thought played ok. Centres and wingers need a refresh.

JFK Files

Juniors
Beaten by Tonga
Beaten by Kiwis x2

'England' have not played since 2018. What a wasted year. They are in a steep decline, and will be long odds for Australia's tour next year.

Who was responsible for this Tour? The RFL? Someone should resign. What a waste.
I wouldn't worry too much about England yet, firstly they have to get rid of Bennett.
There is almost a full team of players who could/should have been chosen but weren't for one reason or another, this is enough to have enough faith in a highly competitive squad next year.

jim_57

Staff member
Yep, Bennett is making the fatal mistake of letting the team grow old together. I was surprised how many of today’s 17 were either late twenties or over the thirty mark compared to the Kiwis.

This should have been the year they started life without some players like Hill, McGillvary & Hall. Maybe even Graham and Widdop or used this as Graham's "farewell".

I find it a little ironic and concerning Bennett pretty much admitted he bought in Handley instead of Grace because he was building towards the 21 World Cup yet filled quite a few squad spots with players who most likely won't be there in 2021.

If he doesn't go with a fresh approach next year starting with the mid-season test then serious concerns must be raised. In a way a Super League only test against France/Ireland/Wales/Scotland/Italy could be good to see what some younger players have to offer without having Hodgson, Hall, Graham, Whitehead, Bateman etc.

yakstorm

First Grade
The tour has just shown that:
  • The players don't care about playing for GB, for them this was like playing some extra rounds of club footy.
  • The coaching team don't care about GB. Bennett admitted that Grace wasn't picked because he wasn't part of the England setup and that he was sticking with the halves combo to build England's chances in 2020 and 2021.
  • The NZ public don't care about GB. Two crowds under 10K, only crowd over was because Australia v Tonga was the drawcard.
  • Australia dodged a bullet not taking a game on this tour... Kangaroos possibly would have run riot in from of about 6,000 fans.

Wizardman

First Grade
It has been a disaster of a tour for them. Their halves have not fired a shot, their pack is going forward but without any punch and their wingers look absolutely pathetic. Lomax is probably the only back they can maybe build on. Next year, they really need to blood a lot of new guys into that lineup as quite a few of them will not be around come world cup time.

Wizardman

First Grade
They are every chance of losing to PNG next week. PNG play with plenty of enthusiasm and will shut down a lot of what GB throw at them.

NRLMad

Juniors
Too many old guys - simple as that. No spark. Hodgson should be on the field 100% of the time. They need more options in attack. Widdop really has played terrible for my team the dragons and GB. Offers nothing in attack, going to retire overseas. Brilliant. You would think he’d do something?!?

NRLMad

Juniors
I also like lomax but again played out of position. The guy that played fullback for Scotland was great. How come they didn’t use him? I think he plays for toronto?

Zak hardaker - why pick him?

Getmefood

Juniors
Beaten by Tonga
Beaten by Kiwis x2

Well on the flip side at least we got to see some more rugby league.

Getmefood

Juniors
I also like lomax but again played out of position. The guy that played fullback for Scotland was great. How come they didn’t use him? I think he plays for toronto?

Zak hardaker - why pick him?
Ryan Brierley? Matty Russell?

deluded pom?

Coach
Too many old guys - simple as that. No spark. Hodgson should be on the field 100% of the time. They need more options in attack. Widdop really has played terrible for my team the dragons and GB. Offers nothing in attack, going to retire overseas. Brilliant. You would think he’d do something?!?
Hodgson hasn’t done anything in a GB shirt either. He might go well in green but rarely turns up in white.