What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: MH

snout

First Grade
2nd bloke in a week.

The pressure of being a highly paid national/international sportsman trying to force your way in the australian team is taking its toll.

Forget hamstrings and busted shoulders - the new 'injury' in which we see a guy not playing this week will be mental health.

Ash Taylors already gone down.
Latrell couldnt travel home with the SOO team after a shocker and needed time off.

A concern for coaches when you say to a bloke on a 1M when do you think youll be right and he goes "no idea".

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...n/news-story/67d62b164d764253b2e026f47405717b

snout

First Grade
2nd bloke in a week.

The pressure of being a highly paid national/international sportsman trying to force your way in the australian team is taking its toll.

Forget hamstrings and busted shoulders - the new 'injury' in which we see a guy not playing this week will be mental health.

Ash Taylors already gone down.
Latrell couldnt travel home with the SOO team after a shocker and needed time off.

A concern for coaches when you say to a bloke on a 1M when do you think youll be right and he goes "no idea".

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...n/news-story/67d62b164d764253b2e026f47405717b

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Same thread twice. Im stressed!
RuOk?... Nah in all seriousness... mental health issues are very common in modern day sportspeople. Not only do they have the pressure to be both physically and mentally at their peak for the duration of their relatively short careers but then there is all the public scrutiny of both their performance and their private lives as well. Glenn Maxwell surprised me tbh but then you have the retirees that struggle with life after the fame and sometimes fortune has gone eg. Brett Finch. Faarrkk living life in a fishbowl...give me anonymity anyday.

Frenzy.

Immortal
It's much more than living life in a fishbowl. Sportsmen aren't the only people with increasing rates of MH and you can bet it is mostly about depression or drug induced psychoses.

I can't be bothered going into in depth but I work in a field where I see MH issues everyday and this fishbowl thing is a misnomer.

snout

First Grade
Definitely a number of different elements are the cause.
One is its a generational thing - l know l sound like a dinosaur but social media..seriously??

A world totally self absorbed with how they look. What they wear. Who's doing what. Whos saying what at every minute of every day.

Blokes like ben hunt whos wives constantly complain about fans having a go at him on social media for not performing.
So he has a week or 2 off playing.

This is whats its come to.

Last edited:

Frenzy.

Immortal
Definitely a number of different elements are the cause.
One is its a generational thing - l know l sound like a dinosaur but social media..seriously??

A world totally self absorbed with how they look. What they wear. Who's doing what. Whos saying what at every minute of every day.

Blokes like ben hunt whos wives constantly complain about fans having a go at him on social media for not performing.
So he has a week or 2 off playing.

This is whats its come to.

Yeah, this touches on it

Where does Ben Hunt's wife complain?

Oh yeah, social media.

Anyway

Points to ponder....

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 1.01.49 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 1.04.08 pm.png Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 1.03.20 pm.png

Eion

First Grade
Now those figures are a reason to be depressed.

Australia is a mentally unwell country.
It’s a big issue no doubt, but I’d be more inclined to believe the reporting of mental illness in places like Sudan are more to do with the gaps between first and third world countries.

SadShark

Bench
Comparing my life to theirs. Oh, how tatt and roid riddled Rick looks so cool in the Maldives on his Beach hut balcony with his super enhanced sex doll girlfriend.

FMD. Stop it!!! Just stop it!!! Put the phone down, stop the over analysis. Stop measuring how far ahead they are than you. That shit will do you no good. At all.

Strong chances are, Rick & his doll are super f**ked up, insecure, shallow, vacuous air heads that don’t own most of the shit they’re posing with.

Mental anguish is self imposed. You did not get conscripted to go and fight in the jungles of PNG, in your desert khakis, while your enemy had jungle green camouflage, dysentery making you use a piece of rubber hose to let the shit run down your leg, finding your dead mates cannibalised remains, seeing your good mate shoot himself in the head in the trench next to you, watching your captured mate get beheaded and then, when it’s all over, get shipped back home to resume your job as a truck mechanic, just like before you left.

You ain’t got that type of stress to worry about. Nowhere f**king near it.

Frenzy.

Immortal
It’s a big issue no doubt, but I’d be more inclined to believe the reporting of mental illness in places like Sudan are more to do with the gaps between first and third world countries.

Absolutely true. Weird one is that the most heavily populated country in the world, China, barely even looks at MH issues due to ancient custom, culture, superstition and stigma. Fastest growing economy, fastest rates of urbanisation, yet still listed as “developing” 1,427,647,786 People (2018 estimate) and only 25,000 psychiatrists. Impossible for me to believe they don’t rate up there with the Western countries in MH prevalence.

I just wrote a paper for uni on this shit.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Comparing my life to theirs. Oh, how tatt and roid riddled Rick looks so cool in the Maldives on his Beach hut balcony with his super enhanced sex doll girlfriend.

FMD. Stop it!!! Just stop it!!! Put the phone down, stop the over analysis. Stop measuring how far ahead they are than you. That shit will do you no good. At all.

Strong chances are, Rick & his doll are super f**ked up, insecure, shallow, vacuous air heads that don’t own most of the shit they’re posing with.

Mental anguish is self imposed. You did not get conscripted to go and fight in the jungles of PNG, in your desert khakis, while your enemy had jungle green camouflage, dysentery making you use a piece of rubber hose to let the shit run down your leg, finding your dead mates cannibalised remains, seeing your good mate shoot himself in the head in the trench next to you, watching your captured mate get beheaded and then, when it’s all over, get shipped back home to resume your job as a truck mechanic, just like before you left.

Forum needs a multi like button for this type of reality

snout

First Grade

Roid riddled Rick lol

Surely

Post Whore
Pandered to kids grow up and get depressed when they find out the world can be mean, I’m shocked.

I always feel sad when I find out people who get highly paid for doing what they love are doing it tough.

cb4

First Grade
There was also a great article from Lucy Zelic about Seb Ryall and his breakdown and why he quick Football. It is a big issue and there needs to be more of a support network offered not only to athletes but struggling every day people.